How do you deter mice from nesting in engine compartment (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
stops it slipping and catches every last drop:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I found a dead mouse beside Motorhome this morning, just worried they might start chewing the wiring loom as I have heard one or two people have had this happen any one got any constructive ideas please
Tony A

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you'd like to see how effective a particular mouse trap or trapping systems are, have a look at Shawn Woods you tube channel called mouse trap Mondays, he has tried and tested just about every possible trap both new and antique and videoed the results in his barn which i must say does have a rodent problem. Some traps are live catch but most are kill traps just so you know.

https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Peppermint oil apparently they dislike the smell.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
To put it bluntly; you are wasting time and in some cases money using the old-wife's remedies such as peppermint, cat urine and magic powder that makes mice think there are predators about. Any successes using these remedies are purely coincidental. Same with ultra-sonics. There have been proven not to work and some companies are being heavily fined for making false claims.

Mice have seasonal habits. At the moment those who have been living outside during the summer are looking for warmer, drier places to spend the winter. That is why you will be seeing more cats and kestrels hunting in the fields at this time of year. Mice are migrating and the preadators are taking advantage of that.

For your part this means that your sheds, garages, vehicles, caravans and houses could be be invaded if mice can get in. Mice can get nutrition from cardboard, paper, upholstery, plastic and many other things that you might not consider as mouse food. They get their water from condensation on water pipes or windows.

There are ways to deter them such as parking on an area of deep gravel. That isn't a 100% deterrent, but it will stop some. But the best way is to put traps under the vehicle to intercept them before they get established in your vehicle. I explained how to do it a thread a couple of weeks ago. Mesh live catch traps will often out perform lethal traps but you have to deal with the mice once you have caught them so lethal traps housed in special plastic trap boxes are the easiest way. I sell double mouse traps that are fixed into boxes with tie-wraps fitted so the traps can be set and emptied of captured mice without touching the traps just by pulling the straps, and the bait lasts a month or so. Everybody who has bought them has been very successful in catching mice.

Regards fouines; These can also be trapped using an appropriate spring trap such as a Fenn Mk. 6 or Bodygrip 116 housed in an appropriate box. You don't need to bait the trap, just put some chicken feathers and straw from a chicken coop in the box. Curiosity will do the rest. Fouinesusually live alone and have a very large range and so they aren't that many per hectare, unlike mice. In most cases you only need to catch one and the problem is solved until a new one takes over the territory. That can take several years.

I found an old fouine nest in my house. We had been living there for over two years without any sign of them, but the next year one arrived. That was dealt with and we haven't had any more in the last 3 years.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You could just get a cat!! Be cheaper than a ruined MOHO, I’m lucky we have two cats live opposite us and they’re proper vermin catchers.(y)(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I parked up on a Spanish Services for new years eve there were a family of young kittens joined us and one lovely little ginger tom later climbed into the engine compartment ( probably trying to sneak into the UK as a clandestine ) he would keep the mice out of there.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Or? You could make more use of the Motorhome?. I have even taken mine to do the Grocery shop at Aldi, (big car park) before to-day. We often go to one of the bigger pubs for Sunday Lunch. Gives the `van a run which is good for it too.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Sod the mice.
We got Rats!
The CL we use is lovely but they are selling up so it closes at end of this year. The owners have been here forever & have cleared all the barns & sheds so the Rats are looking for new abodes & they like our van as it’s sitting still & has been so for 4 weeks now.
3 nights running hubby has had to go out with the dog (JRT) and evict the Rats-dog loves it!!!
So we are going to move away. Shame really as the site is Technically closed & we can stay as long as we like!
The Rats have won.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I found a dead mouse beside Motorhome this morning, just worried they might start chewing the wiring loom as I have heard one or two people have had this happen any one got any constructive ideas please
Tony A
Keep travelling,,,BUSBY,,

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Another vote for the marten deterrent. We keep our motorhome on a farm when not in use. First time we went to collect it, the mice had been in and helped themselves to a couple of packets of dry food. Cleared all that out, and bought a marten deterrent off Amazon. I put crocodile clips on the connecting wires and when farm parking, use the + battery contact under the bonnet, plus an earth, and just rest it against something so that it points down and back, hopefully flooding the underside of the Moho with unpleasant sounds ( to mice and rats, etc. ). So far, so good, after three more years ‘down the farm’!

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
upload_2018-11-17_0-26-55.jpeg

Cats too late, the mice have stolen your engine

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
A couple of years ago we had a mouse on board for a week in Germany and Austria. Scuttled about every night leaving mice poo etc. but we couldn’t find it.

Eventually four traps fuelled with different kinds of food did the trick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back