Another potential motorhome - first purchase (1 Viewer)

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Hi again,
My search for a Hymer Exsis continues....

There is one for sale at Clearway Motorhomes in Somerset.
2004, 2.3jtd engine, 99,000 miles for £24,995

My question is the MOT history..
It failed in 2017 for a number of serious faults, as follows;

• Nearside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
  • Nearside Rear Steering component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded front spring shackle (2.2.C.1h)
  • Nearside Rear Steering component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Rear spring shackle (2.2.C.1h)
  • Offside Rear Steering component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded front spring shackle (2.2.C.1h)
  • Offside Front Steering component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Rear spring shackle (2.2.C.1h)
  • Offside Front Steering component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Wheel arch (2.2.C.1h)
  • Offside Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Centre body mount (sill) (6.1.B.2)
  • Fuel hose leaking (7.2.3)
  • Nearside Rear Leaf spring has excessive wear in a shackle pin and/or bush Rear bush (2.4.B.2)
  • Offside Rear Leaf spring has excessive wear in a shackle pin and/or bush Rear (2.4.B.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Engine oil leak
  • Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the Engine mount.
These sound serious to me although it did subsequently pass its MOT so presumably all the faults were rectified to a safe and satisfactory standard.

This is the second one I have come across with the same corrosion issues.
Is this a common problem for this model or motorhomes of this age?

More importantly, would you consider buying it with such a history?

You will know from previous posts that I am new to motor homing and quite frankly haven't a clue and this will be my first purchase so don't want to make an expensive mistake from the off. So, as always, would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Me also - walk away.

It's good advice from Dave and Cheshirecat57

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
That was my thinking... I guess I was just looking for confirmation...

Thank you both. Grateful as always. Will continue with my search

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It failed in 2017 for a number of serious faults, as follows;

These sound serious to me although it did subsequently pass its MOT so presumably all the faults were rectified to a safe and satisfactory standard.
@In the Pink That's A LOT of corrosion to fix.
Who said it has now passed an MOT?

On the DVLA website at this moment (1754hrs) it's shown as 'No MOT'...

pl54dfe mot.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My last van based on a 1997 Ducato had no rust on the chassis except for a very small area of slight corrosion ( not a fail item) near the front bolt on crossmember. The whole chassis was still covered in white paint and solid.
Serious corrosion on a 2004 chassis is alarming. This seems like a vehicle that has had little servicing through it life. Even if the rusty parts were repaired, it is definitely a vehicle to avoid.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The OP stated the fail items were from 2017, it subsequently passed an mot, but, you are right that it currently has no mot.
Exactly. And since the MOT is carried out whilst the tester is online the result should appear immediately the test is completed.
It seems to me that faced with the repair costs the previous owner sold or part ex'd it to a dealer who hasn't yet fixed it.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Exactly. And since the MOT is carried out whilst the tester is online the result should appear immediately the test is completed.
It seems to me that faced with the repair costs the previous owner sold or part ex'd it to a dealer who hasn't yet fixed it.

It was fixed.

The mot failure, with the list posted by the OP was 11th Sept 2017.
The van subsequently passed its mot on 28th Sept 2017 with no advisories, so I assume it was repaired.
The latest mot expired on 27th Sept 2018. I’d be interested in the results of its new test!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It was fixed.

The mot failure, with the list posted by the OP was 11th Sept 2017.
The van subsequently passed its mot on 28th Sept 2017 with no advisories, so I assume it was repaired.
The latest mot expired on 27th Sept 2018. I’d be interested in the results of its new test!
Yes, it was fixed. I think we're at cross purposes here as I didn't put my comment about 'not yet being fixed' very clearly. (Getting dinner and posting simultaneously evidently exceeds my multi-tasking skills). ;)
The MOT ran out Sept. 2018. One would think that a seller, especially a dealer, would get renew MOT before or whilst advertising it o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
It is the second one that has had the same issues with corrosion on the mounts. Maybe it's an issue with the Exsis SK or a co-incidence?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, it was fixed. I think we're at cross purposes here as I didn't put my comment about 'not yet being fixed' very clearly. (Getting dinner and posting simultaneously evidently exceeds my multi-tasking skills). ;)
The MOT ran out Sept. 2018. One would think that a seller, especially a dealer, would get renew MOT before or whilst advertising it o_O

I suspect the dealer works on the principal that it may sit on his forecourt for a month or three and as he will want to sell it with a 12 month MOT.

He does not really want to pay for two MOT's.

I assume it has been through his workshop and his engineer has told him what is required and it now probably reflects in the price he is asking.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I suspect the dealer works on the principal that it may sit on his forecourt for a month or three and as he will want to sell it with a 12 month MOT.

He does not really want to pay for two MOT's.

I assume it has been through his workshop and his engineer has told him what is required and it now probably reflects in the price he is asking.
Yes, that makes sense, especially perhaps at this end-of-season time of year.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It is the second one that has had the same issues with corrosion on the mounts. Maybe it's an issue with the Exsis SK or a co-incidence?

Thanks everyone for your input.
I don't know that vehicle but there's always some surface corrosion on a ten or fourteen year old vehicle. The tester's comments on all those faults contain the observations 'serious' corrosion and 'excessive' corrosion which would be rather worrying to me.
I've done a fair bit of restoration chasing rust on older vehicles. The panels themselves are not always expensive but it usually involves considerable labour cost dismantling and removing rusted/seized parts and fittings first; often floor coverings, tanks and fitted domestic units in a motorhome, and refitting them after welding. Without sight of the vehicle one can only speculate with regard to the seriousness of the corrosion.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was that the year there was serious flooding at some dealers and the vehicles were subsequently auctioned off by the insurance companies?

Upvote 0

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Find a ten foot barge pole :D2 I would definitely walk away from that one

Upvote 0

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
All the above replies make common sense.....do not let your heart rule your head. My motor home is a 2000 Fiat Ducato based and is corrosion free apart from some general age related.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
@Allanm @mitzimad @MikeD
There's something rather curious that's been bugging me about that Hymer.
At the Sept 2016 MOT it passed with only minor wear and tear Advisories and no mention whatsoever (not even any Advisory) of corrosion.....

pl5dfe 2016.JPG

and yet, at the very next MOT in Sept 2017 and just 5,000 mls later it failed comprehensively due to widespread and excessive corrosion.....

pl54dfe mot Sept 2017.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
That’s a lot of corrosion in just 12 months and 5000 miles. Makes me wonder if the 2017 mot was above board.....

Upvote 0

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
best thing you did was check MOT history, something I learned recently when looking at cars bikes etc, you can learn an awful lot from your armchair that way!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back