Ip addresses and internet speeds (1 Viewer)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I enquired about changing my home internet to fibre. The info given was that it would be an uninterrupted service. If they do not change any cables or physical connection is it only the ip addresses which determine speeds.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think it’s whether your local exchange is set up for it we couldn’t get it for some time and then suddenly we were told they were upgrading it for same cost that we were already paying.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your ip address is basically just like your postal address. So, if your new postman walks \ runs faster than your old one you get you mail quicker.
Your actual address has no relation to how quickly your mail arrives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The infrastructure of fibre to cabinet has already been done, it might be as simple as just switching you over at the exchange - or even you might already be using the fibre cable, just restricted/limited by your internet provider [much like increasing the bhp on an engine is a simple tweak of the ECU]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I enquired about changing my home internet to fibre.

TalkTalk just made me an offer I can't refuse, just £3 a month to go to fibre, 2.5Mbs to 33Mbs. Not done it yet, awaiting their activation and new free router.

I suspect the old copper will still be used for the short distance to the street box but they may have to swap the wires to a fibre fed section. Time will tell.

IP address has nothing to do with it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I suspect the old copper will still be used for the short distance to the street box but they may have to swap the wires to a fibre fed section. Time will tell.
Think Virgin Media (Liberty) are the only ISP with fibre to the house the rest are all fibre to cabinet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes but its Talk Talk :eek:

Been with them for years and years with a short break when, because of BT Sport, I had a miserable year with BT then back to TalkTalk. Can't fault them.

Being with BT involved getting to know the email address of senior executives and having my own assistant allocated to me.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Plenty do o_O...

There are people out there who can barely plug in a computer let alone safe to be in charge of one.

Using TalkTalk I once made the mistake of not plugging the router direct into the master socket, thinking the few extra feet would not matter. A really nice Indian woman persuaded me to alter this and up went the speed. It was a bit difficult understanding her be she knew here stuff.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Been with them for years and years with a short break when, because of BT Sport, I had a miserable year with BT then back to TalkTalk. Can't fault them.

Being with BT involved getting to know the email address of senior executives and having my own assistant allocated to me.
we hear so many horror stories re talk talk but ive been with them since aol days and like you ive never had any problems

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Been there, done that and got the T shirt. Unfortunately still with them.:(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
...unless you live at the top of a very steep hill, your postman is old and he only has a bicycle... ;)

JJ :cool:
but does he not make the time back up when he's going back down the hill again so it'll depend on where you are on his \ her route. Awfy technical this mail delivery game, intit!:giggle:

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Everyone came up with good ideas, thanks. However (it was TalkTalk), I was using online chat complaining about the speed and telling them I was thinking of changing. Using Speedsmart and Net Analyser I saw that the IP address changed and then the speed improved. I did not restart the router that is why it struck me as odd. It happened quicker than my explanation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the cabinet to your house is still copper wire and if, like us, you live a long way from the cabinet it will slow your speed.
I asked the engineer at his last visit, we have a regular visit thanks to A G Bell installing BTs wires, and he said we could expect around 9meg.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did not restart the router that is why it struck me as odd..

I may have said I've had good service out of them but I would not put it past any of them to ease back the speed to get you to upgrade.

In may case an email arrived saying I have reached the speed limit at weekends, indeed we watch bike racing most weekends over the summer and at times it is marginal but I've never been sure if it's TalkTalk or the MotoGP servers. So when the email arrived a couple of days ago I thought I may as well have a go.

Trouble is there is only one race left this year, on the 16th, so I hope the upgrade arrives in time for a real test.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bit more on my project. I phoned to ask why I had not had conformation and was told the order was not placed yet but she ( a woman in Durban, SA ) could do me a better deal anyway. So instead of £3 a month she has offered 50p a month more to up my speed from 2.4Mbs to 79Mbs. That's £30 a month for fibre and all landline calls. She says an engineer will do the switch in "the exchange" on 19th Nov 2018, she emphasized the 2018. Then she said the new router is already in the post.

My guess is she has cancelled my automated order and sold me a new one with commission to her. I don't care, we both win and if TT loses out it's because of their bad management.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Stage 1:

Router arrived today. Huawei. Fitted it. Worked first time. Speed identical to my old router.

Stage 2 is supposed to be 19th.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
'Superfast fibre' apparently means 'fibre to the cabinet' (FTTC). The link from the cabinet to the house is standard copper wire.

When I changed providers a year or so ago, I asked specifically if the fibre was all the way to the house or just to the cabinet. I wanted a price for both, so that I could choose. The person on the phone simply refused to answer the question, and kept repeating 'Yes sir, it's superfast fibre'. A friend in Bedford has fibre all the way to his living-room, and so does everyone on his street.

Eventually I discovered that they charge for the fibre installation right back to the exchange. Fibre to the cabinet is only a limited number of fibres, not enough for one each.

In first-world countries like Korea, fibre to the premises is the norm.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
We live in a small village some miles from the exchange. Switched to TalkTalk from BT a few years ago when they first upgraded the cabinet in the village to fibre. We now get 26 Mbs download and 9 mbs upload. We used to struggle to get more than 2mbs download prior to the system upgrade.

Well worth the small increase in monthly fee and it is unlimited as my son prior to moving out was an avid online gamer and used huge amounts of data for gaming as well as streaming tv.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Stage 1:

Router arrived today. Huawei. Fitted it. Worked first time. Speed identical to my old router.

Stage 2 is supposed to be 19th.

Holy S**t, gobsmacked. Now gone from 2.6 to 70Mbs.

So back to @DBK thread on Spain, before I watched the individual pictures loading, today BANG and they are there.

Before I logged 2.6 on my phone, today I used that for the first test and got 17Mbs, so first thought "they lied to me" but then I went on my PC, saw 70 and realised the 17Mbs is the bandwidth of the WiFi connection to my old phone.

All the FUN screens are noticeably faster as they draw on screen.

Happy bunny.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The infrastructure of fibre to cabinet has already been done, it might be as simple as just switching you over at the exchange - or even you might already be using the fibre cable, just restricted/limited by your internet provider [much like increasing the bhp on an engine is a simple tweak of the ECU]
Please be aware tweaking the internet bhp can result in mouse slip and eventual burnout, you could of course upgrade to a Rat

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Holy S**t, gobsmacked. Now gone from 2.6 to 70Mbs.

So back to @DBK thread on Spain, before I watched the individual pictures loading, today BANG and they are there.

Before I logged 2.6 on my phone, today I used that for the first test and got 17Mbs, so first thought "they lied to me" but then I went on my PC, saw 70 and realised the 17Mbs is the bandwidth of the WiFi connection to my old phone.

All the FUN screens are noticeably faster as they draw on screen.

Happy bunny.
What tablet have you got Brian an Etcha Sketch:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back