Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@SueTayBon love your Christmas Tree (y)
@davanne lovely to see you posting :D Exciting news lovely to have a new baby in the family.
@Anthea M lovely blanket, think it must have been made for you.
@snailtrailer good to see your little group is still going :) I'm crocheting a waistcoat but still work in progress it's in free style crochet did not know about it until @Shrimp told me so did a bit of googling, it suits me because their are no real rules.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't believe I'm back making poppies again. October 22nd newsletter from grandchildren's school says they've decided to cover the phone box outside the school with poppies do could families make some and send them in by November 7th. Great intention but lacking in the planning department. New felting wool arrived this morning so I'm stabbing away at it.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
@SueTayBon love your Christmas Tree (y)
@davanne lovely to see you posting :D Exciting news lovely to have a new baby in the family.
@Anthea M lovely blanket, think it must have been made for you.
@snailtrailer good to see your little group is still going :) I'm crocheting a waistcoat but still work in progress it's in free style crochet did not know about it until @Shrimp told me so did a bit of googling, it suits me because their are no real rules.

Glad you’ve found the freestyle crochet, it’s great fun ‘cos as you say no rules, just follow your ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
@Carol Yes I'm pleased with the Crochet thread going to 100 pages. I hope soon to be posting pictures of my crochet throw which I started in order to use up tapestry threads. It has been neglected while I have been preparing work for my Big C classes but is gradually getting joined together.

@davanne Thrilled to hear about the new baby in the family and that the crochet hook will be busy again.
@Ven re yarn eaters. Have you tried using double threads of machine cones - they seem to go on forever. If you see them in charity shops test them first by snapping the yarn and if it breaks too easily, leave it alone. Love the slippers, they look cosy.
@Anthea M You lucky girl - you've got a good buy there, in lovely colours.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Good afternoon girls it’s lovely to have caught up on the crochet thread you have all been busy making some lovely items.
@jumartoo Judith what have you done to your knee?

My next project has been decided by the wonderful news we have just received that Max’s son and daughter in law are expecting their first baby in the spring so I think a baby blanket is soon to be started.
Lovely to hear from you Anne. Hope you well.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not finished yet but it has taken 2 of us most of the day to get this far. The camouflage netting we were promised did not appear so I have attached every poppy to either ribbon or bootlace webbing then attached that in turn to a support network of a fabric (a cap over the memorial) and canes.
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
IMG_20181107_194505.jpg
I've been Sewing the poppies I crocheted onto the army net a friend brought me. Pleased with it. Its a shame sure dont live closer Helen @Puddleduck you could gave had my netting.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
After all the poppies I had crochet I had forgotten how to make them and had to utube the pattern again lol couldn't believe it forgot it. I need to do da few more to fill some gaps

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I
After all the poppies I had crochet I had forgotten how to make them and had to utube the pattern again lol couldn't believe it forgot it. I need to do da few more to fill some gaps
thought you would be able to do them in your sleep!!
Loving your poppy display! Have you put a picture on Martins ( Funflairs )thread?

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Puddleduck Having seen Kate's poppy display on camouflague netting I can see how the spaces are filled with 'leaves' and you could get away with fewer poppies but I imagine the hundreds of poppies you have would have covered the leaves anyway:LOL: Brilliant job Helen (and friend) and pleased to have been a very small part of it. Our neighbouring village memorials are gradually putting their displays up - nothing in our village tho':(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
1810 poppies at the moment of which 658 will be going on the horse :) Haven't started to decorate the horse yet but the saddle is covered and ready to put in place.

The village wreath looks amazing.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Do you think I could make another 108 poppies in the next two days to take the total to 1918???? I have felt and buttons and a hot glue gun with glue sticks so could make them really quickly I think :)

That is sort of a joke btw.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Hi Funsters here is my latest crochet creation.I have knitted for years but could not crochet until I was kindly taught at this years Lincolnshire M/H show by Angela Mrs @Badknee.
WP_20181109_20_26_23_Pro.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
1918 poppies now in place :) No I did not make all the additional poppies but neighbours arrived with contributions.

Here is our horse, some as the poppies were being placed and some when it was complete.
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Love that this thread has woken up again :) The remembrance displays are great.

I got a bit tired I If Christmas deccies so at the moment my two projects are a granny square poncho for my MIL as she liked the one I made for myself and asked for one. Just need to get it finished in time to post from Portugal. Also I am making a squidgy blanket for the cool nights, I am just picking up the odd ball or two of purple or pink wool when I see some and doing it now and again.

B927042F-3861-43D7-8971-E72F7C048970.jpeg
746998A5-BAA0-448B-89B9-EC6860700F53.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm a volunteer on the UK Hand Knitting (and crochet) stand at Harrogate K&S this year, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Come and say "Hello" if you are attending :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Some years ago, Rita was shown how to crochet by Jan of @Forest Boy. :)
She then made small blankets for our nearest Maternity Unit, before going on to make this................ (in her true Welsh colours).

Crochet Blanket.JPG

It is now used in the MH, and helps to keep us warm on those frosty winter nights. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Apologies if this has been covered but I don’t have the time to read 101 pages !
I crochet tiny octopuses for a charity which distributes them to hospitals which in turn give them to premature babies. The charity is called Octopus for a Preemie UK. The babies get comfort from holding the tentacles which resemble the umbilical cord, and they stop them from tugging at their tubes whist in their incubators.
If anyone would like to join I’m very happy to pass on information.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Offagain Isn't it amazing how something as simple as a tiny octopus can be of so much value. I certainly would like to be involved. Would you tell us more, instructions etc. and are they made in cotton? I think we all like to get involved with these useful things and much more satisfying than just giving money. I prefer making things for children but have just made five hedgehogs for a rescue charity - only because I found a ball of eyelash wool in the charity shop.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yes, @Offagain please can you post the details here so we can all see :)

I know of people who make "taggy toys" for sick children as well. They are machine sewn but I can find the details if necessary - just thought it might be USA only but I will check.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
The website is:
http://octopusforapreemie.com/
and for those of you on facebook they have a very busy page in the same name.
The charity provides all the patterns and has rules about materials (only 100% cotton yarn and specific stuffing) as they have to pass strict infection control rules. Once a maker has made however many they can or feel like doing - some people make one a month, some 30 or 40, there's no norm - they post them to their local coordinator (who you get details of when you join). There are also very useful local facebook messenger groups and they have regular meetings all round the country. They're an amazing group of (mainly) ladies. Very supportive, nothing is ever too much trouble and there are no silly questions. Most are doing it because they have either had a preemie themselves or a family member or friend has.
The facebook page has lots of useful videos and hints and tips for newbies as well as seasoned crocheters.
There are knitters too, but most people find the crocheted ones easier to do as it's difficult getting the knitting tight enough. I started off as a knitter but learnt to crochet in order to make them as couldn't get to grips with the knitted version.
I've been doing it since Christmas 2017 and these are some of my first efforts. For some reason I can't upload any of the more recent pictures but I'll keep trying! All donations are accepted, any which don't fulfill the standards required for safety are given to parents of angel babies (those who passed away during or just after birth) as a memento. There are two jelly fish and two octopuses in the picture. There is also a pattern for flat jelly fish which is a good one for beginners to start with.
As you can tell I'm fairly passionate about it!
Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people about who make octopuses and sell them online to unsuspecting parents. There are also well meaning people who hear about the benefits to the babies, make them independently from the group and donate them directly to hospitals. However, they haven't been safety checked and there's no guarantee they will have been made with the right materials.
Anthea
IMG_4060[1].JPG

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Thank you @Ofagain I'll get on to it straight away. They are so cute they raise a smile just looking at them.(y)
Cheers, Pamela

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The website is:
http://octopusforapreemie.com/
and for those of you on facebook they have a very busy page in the same name.
The charity provides all the patterns and has rules about materials (only 100% cotton yarn and specific stuffing) as they have to pass strict infection control rules. Once a maker has made however many they can or feel like doing - some people make one a month, some 30 or 40, there's no norm - they post them to their local coordinator (who you get details of when you join). There are also very useful local facebook messenger groups and they have regular meetings all round the country. They're an amazing group of (mainly) ladies. Very supportive, nothing is ever too much trouble and there are no silly questions. Most are doing it because they have either had a preemie themselves or a family member or friend has.
The facebook page has lots of useful videos and hints and tips for newbies as well as seasoned crocheters.
There are knitters too, but most people find the crocheted ones easier to do as it's difficult getting the knitting tight enough. I started off as a knitter but learnt to crochet in order to make them as couldn't get to grips with the knitted version.
I've been doing it since Christmas 2017 and these are some of my first efforts. For some reason I can't upload any of the more recent pictures but I'll keep trying! All donations are accepted, any which don't fulfill the standards required for safety are given to parents of angel babies (those who passed away during or just after birth) as a memento. There are two jelly fish and two octopuses in the picture. There is also a pattern for flat jelly fish which is a good one for beginners to start with.
As you can tell I'm fairly passionate about it!
Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people about who make octopuses and sell them online to unsuspecting parents. There are also well meaning people who hear about the benefits to the babies, make them independently from the group and donate them directly to hospitals. However, they haven't been safety checked and there's no guarantee they will have been made with the right materials.
Anthea
View attachment 267269

I think this is something my mum could be involved in. Cos she's not internet savvy I'd need to send her details. Where do I find the pattern to send to her?

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I think this is something my mum could be involved in. Cos she's not internet savvy I'd need to send her details. Where do I find the pattern to send to her?
Your mum will need to make contact with her local coordinator before she starts.
I can find out the contact details for that person for you if you tell me which area your mum lives in. The county will be enough.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Your mum will need to make contact with her local coordinator before she starts.
I can find out the contact details for that person for you if you tell me which area your mum lives in. The county will be enough.

Thanks, my mum lives in Retford, Nottinghamshire. She's always making things for me (even though I'm trying to make my own, lol) if she can have a challenge it'll take the pressure off :LOL:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back