Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Does anyone own one of these? Seems like the perfect layout for us with very little compromise apart from being frighteningly expensive. Going to Pullingers in Halstead this weekend for a second look. Any feedback gratefully received.

OP
OP
Stephen Franklin

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Well I guess the answer is no. If anyone does want to know what they are like in the future, we will be collecting ours on September 1st, then to Vanbitz and on to Pembrokeshire for a week.

OP
OP
Stephen Franklin

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Looking at the pictures I'd say it was cheap.

Never seen a Luton done as two singles. If you can live with the Luton it makes the rest of the van so spacious.
Neither had we, Frankia and Hymer (Duomobil) do similar A Class layouts, so with drop-down front beds. We thought the overcab was more practical being permanent. The quality is certainly very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We thought the overcab was more practical being permanent..

We had a Burstner with a normal huge Luton for 10 years but just changed because 'er indoors was finding it difficult to climb the ladder.

Drop that bed and add six feet to the vehicle.

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Were going to the MotorHome show to look at one, its a perfect lay out for us. SF please let us know what you think.

OP
OP
Stephen Franklin

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
In our first month we have been away for 10 nights and think it is brilliant. We have had a few minor problems, which the dealer has already booked us in to be rectified. The Alde heating has been so much better than blown air. The ride is better on the Alko chassis . We have the 180 engine with Comfortmatic, which makes it effortless to drive. It has proved to be very comfortable when stuck inside by the weather. Being high up means people walking past can't look in but you have a great view out. The washroom is very spacious with the door shut across the corridor. We love it!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had to travel to Germany last year to see one of these.

They have a great layout, kitchen, lounge and garage are spot on, but the bed area was a little cramped and the models up to 2016 had a ridiculous raised section between the twin beds very uncomfortable, newer version (much better interior) they have resolved this. We also found the front driver and passenger seats uncomfortable, Dethleffs had just used swivel seats even though they could not swivel, so too high. There were a couple of other bits that we did not like but we think it is a great layout.

If you like that layout then similarly priced are the Frankia A Plus models and Concorde (bit more cash though). We ended up with a Frankia, garage could be a bit bigger but it all works very well, the Dethleffs was a very close second for us. Very useful to compare as the models are very similar.

OP
OP
Stephen Franklin

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
I agree with Neil about the beds as far as headroom is concerned- Dethleffs have positioned the lights so that you would sleep with your head towards the front where the headroom is lowest. To counter this we are having extra spotlights (£90 each - bargain!!) put in the opposite end, where the is enough headroom to sit up in bed. Other than that there is loads of room in bed, both length and width wise. I disagree on the seats, which we have found very comfortable.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Frankia provide some big triangular shaped cushions that are supposed to allow you to sit up in bed with your head at the front, we thought they were great idea in the showrooms but since we got the van have never used them:rolleyes:. Off again in a week or so so must give them go before they go into storage. Completely missed this thread first time round, personally I think you've got yourself a great layout.(y)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I agree with Neil about the beds as far as headroom is concerned- Dethleffs have positioned the lights so that you would sleep with your head towards the front where the headroom is lowest. To counter this we are having extra spotlights (£90 each - bargain!!) put in the opposite end, where the is enough headroom to sit up in bed. Other than that there is loads of room in bed, both length and width wise. I disagree on the seats, which we have found very comfortable.
Hi @Stephen Franklin - how are you getting on with the MH?
We looked at one last year and thought it was a great layout but heard about the i7820-2 so visited the Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf and have now ordered one for April delivery - all being well.

Can't wait!

OP
OP
Stephen Franklin

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Hi @Stephen Franklin - how are you getting on with the MH?
We looked at one last year and thought it was a great layout but heard about the i7820-2 so visited the Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf and have now ordered one for April delivery - all being well.

Can't wait!
We think it's brilliant, pretty much perfect for us. We had a few minor problems which have all been sorted out by Pullingers the supplying dealers. We are still amazed at how much room there is in a 7.3m van. We have the heat exchanger which heats the central heating from the engine, and wouldn't be without this extra, it's great when you arrive and everywhere is already warm.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
The Alpa was the first MH we actually considered , loved it but wasn’t just quite rite for us , the garage was a bit to small to get a scooter in , But it put me onto the A7877-2 trend , Also purchased from Pullingers , collected early sept 18 , transverse bed over large garage ,

D0891619-0077-48DB-BA61-BEC8B72243A3.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back