PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Great lead in technology, but to what end?

Picture the Sunday morning ride out and you can’t be bothered getting out of bed, you can just send the bike out on it’s own, winner.

As mentioned before, what happens when you need to pop your foot down at the lights:)

Think they need to look at hondas ideas and besides, whose’s going to take the cat for a ride:)
2A4B6A80-78B0-499B-B64F-2F7E7E08FA50.gif
E397AD68-94FC-4B8F-9CB4-522056E6FF0C.gif

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can someone tell me...... WHY ??

Go on, what is the point.
You can't sit back and read the newspaper, you can't sit and have a bowl of soup, You can't have a sleep
WHAT'S THE POINT ? ?
You may as well burn your licence and become a pillion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Can someone tell me...... WHY ??

Go on, what is the point.
You can't sit back and read the newspaper, you can't sit and have a bowl of soup, You can't have a sleep
WHAT'S THE POINT ? ?
You may as well burn your licence and become a pillion.
Did you watch the video?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Ok, do you naysayers believe that when we sent men to the moon that we just went for it?

No, small evolutionary steps along the way?

Just one big leap into the unknown?

For those that have said that they watched the video, did you have the audio on?

The answer to the question ‘Why?’ Is in the video.

Ian

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Having invented the rider less motorbike, I have trumped them by inventing the motorbike less rider. I call it a pedestrian.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I can see their point as a test bed, but don't really want my motorcycle to be deciding whether I'm riding it in accordance with some faceless boffins theoretical rulebook, its a bike I want to be able to rag it a bit and I'm probably old enough to decide for myself whether i'm being a menace or a hazard to other people - hopefully?

Edit, although it could be embarrssing if it decided you were riding like an old lady and starting notifying you.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I can see their point as a test bed, but don't really want my motorcycle to be deciding whether I'm riding it in accordance with some faceless boffins theoretical rulebook, its a bike I want to be able to rag it a bit and I'm probably old enough to decide for myself whether i'm being a menace or a hazard to other people - hopefully?

Edit, although it could be embarrssing if it decided you were riding like an old lady and starting notifying you.

Exactly.. the whole point of a bike is the freedom, and the 'being as one' with the bike, that you just dont get in a car , no matter how much money you spend. I will go as far as saying that i dont even like ABS and traction control on bikes, but i appreciate there are those that do.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Exactly.. the whole point of a bike is the freedom, and the 'being as one' with the bike, that you just dont get in a car , no matter how much money you spend. I will go as far as saying that i dont even like ABS and traction control on bikes, but i appreciate there are those that do.
You dont need to spend a lot to get a caterham or atom

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You dont need to spend a lot to get a caterham or atom
Your idea of 'a lot' and mine, are not the same. Having driven a few Caterhams, they are , like a modern superbike, completely pointless on the road, in the dry , and borderline lethal in the wet. But at least they are pure, which is how is should be, if thats your thing , fair play , but it isnt mine.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What makes you say that . Its all well and good taking the rider out of the equation, but that totally misses the point of a motorbike. The rider is part of the equation, and always will be .
I do think a lot of new and maybe not so new bikers haven't got a clue, so any extra safety technology can only be a good thing and will save lives. The choice should be up to you but it never is, helmet laws, seatbelt laws, national speed limits reduced to 50 - 40, all in the name of safety.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Mate of mine just bought a new SWM 600 with ABS you have to switch it off every time you start it, its a nightmare off road, it caught him out a couple of times once quite serious.

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Mate of mine just bought a new SWM 600 with ABS you have to switch it off every time you start it, its a nightmare off road, it caught him out a couple of times once quite serious.

We were looking at the SWM 450 racebike for this year , but i managed to talk some sense into the sponsor , its was essentially a 2009 Husqvarna with different colour plastic, that wasnt that great in 2009.

We have launch control on the racebike, push 2 buttons , and just pin the throttle, it sets the revs , and you just have to feed in the clutch. Would be great if 4 other guys didnt have it too.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I believe BMW are doing this so these so called adventure bikes can take them off on there own adventure. Reason for my thinking is everyone I see on the road on my 2 week trip to Italy and back was having its adventure on a trailer so why they have all those tupperware boxes on them I do not know because the riders are all comfy in the car and there clothing may as well go in a suit case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back