Securing our M/H (1 Viewer)

Kathy and Jon

Free Member
Dec 18, 2017
Countesthorpe
Funster No
:hiya:

just wondering when we need to leave our van, will one wheel clamp be enough to prevent those little thieving hands from taking it? Or should we put two on and a steering wheel clamp?

Thank you for your help :Grin:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know where it is parked and what sort of security there is but mechanical things like wheel clamps and steering lock are just a slight hindrance to a determined thief with an angle grinder and nobody around to bother them.

An immobiliser is more likely to stop it going "walkies" and a tracker gives you more chance of getting it back, but more money.

Martin

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Hi... all these security issues and more concerned me when wife and I started planning FTiming. In the end we went for a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm only. Our secondhand van on a 65 plate came with the Fiamma security/ support handles on hab door and garage but you are never gonna stop those really determined at removing either your van or goods within best you can hope for is deterring them from attacking yours. I considered tracking, HEO safe additional door locks, steering wheel locks, door bars but all adds extra weight.. be sensible where you park... if it feels wrong dont!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Im a fan of visible deterrents.. steering wheel disc lock...pedal clamps etc.. combined with a good alarm the vehicle would have to be somewhere remote for them to spend time removing them with an alarm doing..
Your ovn hidden switches isolating things like ignition are also a good bet imo...
Andy.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Vanbitz growler, engine blocker, tracker, cables door to door in cab. Just make yours harder to steal than everyone else's (y)

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
If you’ve got the budget then as others have alluded to give Eddie a ring at VanBitz. Ask about the Strikeback Growler and Non Starter. It’s belt and braces and it can’t be angle grinded off. Don’t forget the discount code when you book.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think do whatever you feel comfortable paying for but they will still get it if they want to. Also easier to stop vehicle theft harder to stop entering the back and nicking your stuff the windows alone are not secure remember they won't mind breaking stuff.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Where and for how long ?
Yes, good comment, we're full time ( 13 months now,) one of us is in the van most of the time. I've got a bulldog clamp, and most places we stay have other vans around. Depends on your circumstances.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As much and as many as you can afford.

Do lots of visual as well and hopefully they'll bypass you and take a softer target.

I have a tracker, scorpion alarm system, fiamma locks, steering wheel clap and still run a strap across the doors to prevent them being opened, without smashing the window.

Never underestimate the power of deterrents.

IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes, good comment, we're full time ( 13 months now,) one of us is in the van most of the time. I've got a bulldog clamp, and most places we stay have other vans around. Depends on your circumstances.

That does not sound high risk, but you never know your luck do you. When you consider the number of MHs on the roads it's a pretty tiny percentage get nicked. More likely is petty snatch/grab when you've been careless at a petrol station.

Just recently I've taken the step of using my bike security chain through the steering wheel and door arm rest. If they want to defeat that then so be it.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I like to carry a full set of these with me.
Takes me a while putting up on site but they’re just like a windbreak really. - keeps the wife in and riff-raff out.
Best of all, the C&M Club Warden never gets near to tell me to park closer to the peg!

96701ED1-A1F3-49CF-883E-8547073EF77A.jpeg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't bother, and don't fret. Don't leave anything attractive in sight (close all blinds, they may even think you're inside). If possible, park next to a more expensive vehicle.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Takes me a while putting up on site but they’re just like a windbreak really. - keeps the wife in and riff-raff out.
Best of all, the C&M Club Warden never gets near to tell me to park closer to the peg!

View attachment 248014

I thought that WAS the C&MC perimeter fence....:D2

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If parking on your driveway it’s worth a few minutes effort and removing a wheel and taking it inside the house. A guy in Australia had two vans stolen and solved the problem by leaving an imitation snake on the dashboard.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Snakes are not so common over here, but a nice idea.
You could always leave the MIL inside, I suppose! :D

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Last week I had our 2 year old swift bolero stolen from our drive in the night, they must have had a skeleton key & overid the immobiliser through the OBD port, luckily its got a tracker so it was retrieved 2hours later, they had changed the number plates to diplomatic plates, these guys knew what they were doing. If it weren't for the tracker it would probably be in Europe by know. Van bitz will be fitting a growler & NS so we can sleep at night.

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I’m pleased you got your Moho back and as you park it on your driveway why not take the simple but very effective deterrent against theft by removing a wheel and storing it inside your house? Trackers and alarms can be increasingly defeated but thieves don’t carry spare wheels and if they did would be extremely reluctant to spend time fitting it. You could also remove the vehicle battery. Additionally, think about putting your registration number on the roof so that if stolen number plate recognition cameras can record it. Also you can fasten the two about doors together with a strong chain and high security padlock. All chap defence methods and all effective.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
If parking on your driveway it’s worth a few minutes effort and removing a wheel and taking it inside the house. A guy in Australia had two vans stolen and solved the problem by leaving an imitation snake on the dashboard.

Lol... tried that one, but police kept knocking on the door to tell me someone had pinched a wheel!!

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015

View attachment 248014
Ah, do I see some free leccy up top for the angle grinder!!

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Snakes are not so common over here, but a nice idea.
You could always leave the MIL inside, I suppose! :D

A bit harsh, my MIL was lovely and I used to pop in to see her for some Brecky while OH was at work. Sadly she has gone now but after 40 years OH has tirned in to a version of her Mum and we get on better than ever!

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
So speaking to Fiat there has not been a spare key cut, which rules out my suspicion with the dealer or anyone else. To do this you need a v5 & it would be documented.

Which means the keys must have been cloned using software, looking on the internet its called relay theft. Scary as anyone else with a key fob/remote could get hacked.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think relay theft only works for 'key-less' entry. If your fob has a button to open the doors, I think they will have used something else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back