Roasting Fowl (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Met up with some old friends recently, some time back he said his wife always boiled the bird before roasting. Regrettably he was a tad derided. But this week she said she did. ON reflection she was a former cook in an OAP Home and to avoid E coli etc. Scalded the chickens in and out before roasting. Makes sense, so next time will give it a go.
Anyone else does this?
Can't see any problems, and always do it for lamb stews anyway.
Ian

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Mrs B always boils racks of ribs for 35-40mins before covering them with her bbq sauce and then either roasting 40 mins at 200, or bbqing them.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
My better half, 40 years in catering, suggests putting chicken in pan of water with onions and bouquet garni boil until meat will ease away from bone. 1 cooked chicken and chicken stock ready for soup or to use in sauces.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi Jo,
Thanks for the tip.
I started my catering career in the 60's, 3 places in Switzerland, Grosvenor House, Park Lane. Thence got married, no dosh joined the ancient william, retired. Last job for holiday money was Breakfast Chef for a year at the Holiday Inn in Norwich. Even cooked Delia's Christmas Breakfast, if you count croissant and muesli cooking.
Boiled Beef and Carrots, Silverside of Beef, scalded first etc. Irish Stew start scalding the lamb of course, and your old boy's recipe sounds like the base of a Yiddish Mommas Chicken and Noodle Soup. Difficult to stuff and carve after so
I was just curious if there was any background to the Staph and E Coli, threat from raw chicken and the poor couple in Egypt recently. That 1 headline must have lost Egyptians a minimum 1000 customers.
But sorry, no sympathy, if you take the P, with your hygiene then you deserve the consequences.
But still looking for a derivative answer re the hygiene aspect.
Any hygienist, lecturers doctors out there?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i worked in rather large roast chicken chain of shops and still have a big pressure cooker that takes six whole chicken. with practice you cook the chicken almost. then remove from the pressure cooker then cut the chicken . dip the bits in a breaded mix then fry them.
makes a nice moist fried chicken . just fry and that tends to dry the chicken insides .
the idea may have come from some where in america , but i cant say. ha ha .

OP
OP

Deleted User
Sounds like the man with a pointed beard. So that's the reason, juicy inside crispy coating. Trade secret for the recipe! Shame they still use budgie sized hens. For the price of a bucket of 9 teenie pieces can get a 2 whole birds cooked in the Supermarket Chains. So do you buy the meat or the coating?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back