Which site to use for route planning not google (2 Viewers)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just go . do it . dont need any thing more than an atlas.
avoid toll roads ,just turn round . avoid motor ways .
use small roads visit villages and smaller towns . many have tourist offices , free local maps and places to visit.
its a big world out there but getting smaller if you want it to.
the real question is can you live long enough to see it all?
visit all or as many villages as you can .they all have a story to tell.
local museums are use full.
forget all the guides and lonely planet books they only do it in a rush.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Another vote for Basecamp and its predessor....
Just a shame they’ve removed google earth... you could view your whole route in virtual mode... i.e street view etc...

Edit: in fact i sometimes wondered why I bothered going on my motorcycle and getting wet etc... when I could sit at my PC and travel the route :rofl:
And have a :drink: or two or ten :LOL:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Was trying to do a rough route plan for our trip wih friends but google planning doesnt alow enough stops. couldn't find any way of doing a route which avoided tolls either.
Suggestions please my learned friends :)

You may find this helpful too.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online webchat and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the webchat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I found a lot of advice about on line maps for a possible trip to France, Riverbankannie being helpful with Google maps.

This may be a daft question but I have a Garmin sat nav, so if i wanted to follow a route it seems that if I plotted in Google maps my Garmin would become redundant as I would have to use a mobile or laptop, or Management would.

I have downloaded Garmin Basecamp, therefore does that integrate with the Garmin sat nav or are you all suggesting that a second device is needed. It would seem sensible to use the sat nav, powered by the MHome and not using up data but I'm getting the impression that may not work.

I am also getting a feeling, not a criticism, that once across the channel its not all plain sailing. [Ha......it won't be, maybe plain driving.] There does seem a lot of planning rather than just drive on the "open" road and stop off when you want. However I'm not against planning.

Am I being too simple in listing our "destinations" in Garmin sat nav, following previous research and following the Garmin. Cheers Smudger55

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I found a lot of advice about on line maps for a possible trip to France, Riverbankannie being helpful with Google maps.

This may be a daft question but I have a Garmin sat nav, so if i wanted to follow a route it seems that if I plotted in Google maps my Garmin would become redundant as I would have to use a mobile or laptop, or Management would.

I have downloaded Garmin Basecamp, therefore does that integrate with the Garmin sat nav or are you all suggesting that a second device is needed. It would seem sensible to use the sat nav, powered by the MHome and not using up data but I'm getting the impression that may not work.

I am also getting a feeling, not a criticism, that once across the channel its not all plain sailing. [Ha......it won't be, maybe plain driving.] There does seem a lot of planning rather than just drive on the "open" road and stop off when you want. However I'm not against planning.

Am I being too simple in listing our "destinations" in Garmin sat nav, following previous research and following the Garmin. Cheers Smudger55
I believe you may be able to export the Google route, say as a gpx file.

You can import that into Basecamp.

Connect your Garmin to the PC, wait for it to show up in Basecamp, then drag the route in.

I have never done it myself with Google, but I do plot my destinations in Basecamp for my Garmin satnav, and also import gpx walking routes to copy to my Garmin GPS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I believe you may be able to export the Google route, say as a gpx file.

You can import that into Basecamp.

Connect your Garmin to the PC, wait for it to show up in Basecamp, then drag the route in.

I have never done it myself with Google, but I do plot my destinations in Basecamp for my Garmin satnav, and also import gpx walking routes to copy to my Garmin GPS.
Thanks CAB96, in my ignorance the "route drag into Garmin, I presume then provides the active route in Garmin and you don't require your PC.

Secondly when I open Basecamp it tells me I don't have route planning facility. Was that the same with you and did you use the Google gpx file as an alternative. Cheers Smudger55

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Over many years of caravanning/motorhoming on the Continent planning a route is merely planning to head in a certain direction and most times you do not get to your planned destination as too many other things take over. We have been sidetracked by road closures without diversion route signed, carnivals, over estimating distances and a multitude of other things. One thing that is constant. You discover endless interesting and glorious places you would never have seen, by accident. Just plan daily and see where you end up.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you have a Mac then you might want to try Road Trip Planner - I wrote a review of it for MHF Magazine - I am attaching a pdf version of the article - I use it all the time for long trips as it also allows you to search on local attractions and add them to your itinerary with detailed notes

Attachments

• Road Trip Planner review.pdf
    904.7 KB · Views: 21
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Over many years of caravanning/motorhoming on the Continent planning a route is merely planning to head in a certain direction and most times you do not get to your planned destination as too many other things take over. We have been sidetracked by road closures without diversion route signed, carnivals, over estimating distances and a multitude of other things. One thing that is constant. You discover endless interesting and glorious places you would never have seen, by accident. Just plan daily and see where you end up.
Thanks Verteuil Man, management would agree with your approach.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Thanks CAB96, in my ignorance the "route drag into Garmin, I presume then provides the active route in Garmin and you don't require your PC.

Secondly when I open Basecamp it tells me I don't have route planning facility. Was that the same with you and did you use the Google gpx file as an alternative. Cheers Smudger55
Hi Smudger,

My apologies, I tried it, and now I remember that Google won't play ball anymore. It is possible if you follow a workaround, but it's a pain in the backside.

To get the route out of Google Maps you have to use a 3rd party service. I followed the instructions here, but they are from 2018 or before.
  1. Plan the route on Google Maps on your PC. Then you copy the URL for the route into the first website, then it gives you a GPX file to download to your PC.

2. But then you have to convert that GPX file. So upload it to the second website.

The second website now redirects to 'AllTrails'. It will still do the job (look for Route Convertor at the bottom of the page) but you will have to create an account. I don't know how many it does for free, but there may be other sites which will do this.

Upload your GPX file, select 'download as GPX' then you get another GPX file to save to your PC.

3. NOW you can get it into Basecamp; open Basecamp up on your PC and 'File - Import', select your second GPX file, and it should import your planned route.

4. Then you connect your SatNav, it should appear on the Left Hand Side as a device. You can then just select the Route and drag it into your SatNav.

It sounds, and is, a right old palaver. However, I have never got the hang of plotting routes in Basecamp; it is so confusing I would honestly rather do this than try and recreate a Google route in Basecamp.

Hope that helps!
CAB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back