Ferry booked - advice on campsites and sightseeing (1 Viewer)

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Hi all

Just booked our ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, leaving mid April to mid June next year which are the only dates available to us for a 9 week long holiday.

Our approximate route is to drive up to Copenhagen, cross into Sweden via the bridge, visit Stockholm and go as far north in Sweden as Sundsvall on the east coast and then cross over into Norway towards Trondheim. After that we would like to see Bergen and Oslo before crossing by ferry from Gothenburg back to Denmark.

Would really appreciate any advice on campsites along the route and any nice sights or points of interest to visit and see along the route.

Whilst we wouldn't mind the odd night doing a bit of wild camping we really would prefer nice sites with EHU, showers, etc. ideally in easy walking distance of bars and restaurants or with decent bus or train links into nearby towns.

We like reasonably gentle walks, lakes, scenery, villages, coastal fishing towns, etc. rather than big cities other than the few cities mentioned above that we really do want to see.

This is our very first trip to Scandinavia do any advice would be appreciated, TIA.

Peter

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Be prepared for cold weather
You are likely to encounter it at some point:mask:
Definitely, see this temperature chart for Sundesval this April. Need to make sure van winterised for minus temperatures at night.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/se/sundsvall/315848/april-weather/315848
As you move into June, be prepared for mosquitos around lakes, I’ve never seen such clouds and such large ones as I did in Mora midsummer. You may find them worst on your journey from Sundesval across to Trondheim.

Finally, it’s a very long way! However the Baltic coast is fabulous and you will have memories of a great trip I’m sure!

Sorry cannot help with campsites as we made the trip by car, staying in hotels and self catering lodges, and while in Sweden, with family.
Maybe try and “smuggle” some booze into Sweden. You cannot buy any in shops and supermarkets, only in government shops called systembolanget with your passport. Norway you can purchase but it’s expensive (very).:eek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suggest you load the POI set from Campercontact onto your Sat Nav.. this will make finding sites very easy ..

when you want to stop for the day, consult the sat nav for the nearest Campercontact locations.. then simply press navigate to it..

downloads are free.. select the countries you want or all https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads

You can also buy a phone app that uses downloaded maps so you don't need a data connection to use it.. it gives all the information about the sites..

enjoy your trip.. hopefully will do it one day ourselves..

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Maybe try and “smuggle” some booze into Sweden. You cannot buy any in shops and supermarkets, only in government shops called Systembolaget with your passport. Norway you can purchase but it’s expensive (very).:eek:

I would agree with some of that, but not all. A lot depends on the route that is taken from Amsterdam, but when I do it, I would normally overnight in Heiligenhafen (Germany) on the newish stellplatz they have there. If the main road is left at the "Heiligenhafen Mitt" sign, there is an Aldi on the right. Just behind there are two places for cheap booze. As @Riverbankannie says, it is expensive in Sweden, and even more so in Norway. Light beer (under 3,5% alcohol) can be bought in supermarkets, and passports are not needed in Systembolaget for identification if the person doing the purchasing is above the minimum legal age. So now we know Annie looks young! :D

Travelling up the east coast, theres quite a bit to see. Theres a nice campsite at Ronneby, which is about 130 or so km from the Swedish end of the bridge. Most, but not all of the pitches have a sea view.

Further along the coast are Kalmar, and Karlskrona. From the first, if time allows, the bridge over to the island of Öland could be taken. Theres all kinds of things to do there, as there are in Karlskrona. If it was decided to go inland a bit, then if children are with you, then Astrid Lindgrens World is worth a visit. She was the author of the Pippa Longstocking childrens books.

Hope this helps.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Can only help with stopovers on way to Denmark
Munster and Lubeck are both good and convenient and for visiting Copenhagen try Copenhagen Camping all facilities even swimming pool
It's in Dragor about 20 min bus ride to city centre

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're in Norway at the moment just north of Tromso. We have stayed on either restplass (aires) or have free camped. Many of the retplass stops have electric hookup, waste dump, fresh water, showers, washing machines, etc. You'll find that many garages offer waste dump and fresh water and there are lots of service aires where you can do so too.

Frankly, the sites we've seen on passing look dreadful. I'm sure there must be nice ones but they must be few and far between.

You mention being near bars and restaurants... We've not come across bars or pubs and very few restaurants. If you eat out be aware that the cost will be horrendous. Likewise, shopping will cost double for pretty poor food and alcohol is expensive - a bottle of wine which would cost £7 in UK will cost £16 in Norway. Alcohol is controlled by the government which means you can only buy it at a vinmonpolet (state owned shop) which have restricted opening hours.

Norway is a wonderful country - quite different to anywhere we've visited... it is simply jaw droppingly beautiful.

They say Norway is a feast for the eyes, not the belly... I think that sums it up well.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
If you want to use campsites check out ACSI has all those countries in it.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
We toured scandinavia earlier this year may/june.No mossies to worry about but I had stocked up with the usual before/after from B&M never used any.we wildcamped mostly,stopped at a great site next to the briksdal glacier as it was only a short walk to the pathway up.only other paid stop was on an aire in germany.The only acsi site we looked at was dire so we carried on.As said things are expensive but overall the price of fuel worked out similar to the uk so nothing to worry about.Only thing is you,ll be covering some miles so it won,t be cheap.I found the oresund bridge to be vastly overated and at €100 euros for our 6.5m hymer it was better to bypass denmark and use the trelleborg ferry.
My route is on polarsteps where you may find some useful information.It was a trip of a lifetime and highly recommended so go for it whatever.
https://www.polarsteps.com/mid4did/632376-scandinavia
Also on youtube if you have time to spare
https://www.youtube.com/user/kp227pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.

The combination ticket applies to the Rödby - Puttgarden ferry, and Helsingör - Helsingborg one, not the bridge.

Getting the correct Brobizz or whatever its called nowadays can give a discount on Rödby - Puttgarden, as well as the bridge.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did Sweden last year May 10 to July 1 Denmark/Gothenburg ferry it was pretty chilly at Sveg just south of Ostersund ,we went right up to Karesuando via E45 a truly great trip loads of campsites to choose from get yourself a Swedish camping card it will save a few bob.
Just go and enjoy it’s a great place. We did Denmark on way up then Robby have/Puttgarden ferry via Oresund bridge.(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back