Advice on either a Garmin or TomTom camper sat nav. (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Was Set on the Garmin camper sat nav until I saw TomTom gave a later one out.
Always used a TomTom motorcycle sat nav and found it great both for car and bike, although maps are well out of date.
Just got a Garmin for the car, not overly happy but think it's just me needing to adjust to a different system, my thinking was that it would get me used to the Garmin camper.
Now in a quandary about which to go for either Garmin or TomTom.
Is the later TomTom a step forward from the Garmin or do they do the same or worse?
I do prefer my TomTom display but not sure if they are now all standardised.
Not going down the phone or cheap route as have budgeted for one of them.
Any advice for anyone who has actually compared them.
I might wait till October to the NEC show to have a better look.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Three camps. Tom Tom, Garmin or on your mobile device. They all have their followers and you will get biased answers from all of them. :rofl:

Cheesy nibbles, remember I fed up of popcorn, and lightly chilled anyone.:gum:

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We’ve just gone over to a Garmin 770 (well, the Avtex One, but same thing) from a TomTom 1005 Camper- so not the new TT, obviously. The Garmin is not perfect, but so far seems way better than the TT, which we were never happy with the routing on. We’d had a prior TT - a cheap car one - which was way better until we broke it!
Not sure if this helps, because our experience is with an older TT, but I wonder how many people will have real life experience of the latest models of both? (And at the NEC you’d only see the aspects they want you to see, not their tendency to send you under a bridge that would remove your van roof!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Oh dear, this ones been done to death..... but here we go again, get yourself a tomtom truck 6000. Lifetime map updates really easy to use, never let us down....
There we go done and dusted, till someone else asks the same question :LOL::LOL:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Garmin camper here...love it.
(I still intend to use basecamp properly one day)
Also use waze and have used co pilot.
Not used TomTom for ages and never liked it then.

Both our Skodas use Garmin .. I much prefer the camper version.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you look on YouTube there is a lorry driver who compares the Garmin to the Tomtom versions for large vehicles. He is quite thorough and interesting.

I have the Garmin camper 77O which I like it does a lot more than the new Tomtom camper which cannot even show your own poi icons. The only advantage I can see with a Tomtom is that the traffic appears to be better than Garmin it that’s about all.

You really need to look at the YouTube reviews.People on forums will usually say there version is the best simply because that’s the one they have. I haven’t seen anyone say theirs is total crap yet. That’s why you need unbiased reviews.

You would do well to look at the user forums for both Garmin and Tomtom, they roll give you an insight as to what issues you can expect.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Got a tomtom 6200 professional ( truck version ) think the camper version is based on it - but my one is a problem if you try updating via its wifi on the road - it can and does lose the maps and you have to re-download map and it takes hours.

It does the job but i certainly would not risk updating away from home been caught out couple of times updating - 2nd time i was at home fortunately.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
In was asking specifically about the TomTom go camper 2018 against the Garmin 770.
Just wondered if anyone had actually compared the two?
Not interested in using a mobile, too small.
I understand what people own is usually the best so reviews can sometimes about a single item can be biased.
TGC and Supermike it's not compulsory to answer if you don't want to. Sorry if I an boring you but I expect most questions and opinions had been raised so might as well close the forum down.
I am asking a specific question about a brand new sat nav launched 3 months and an existing market leader.

Iandsm you mention poi icons, how are they shown on the TomTom?
Must admit I clear the clutter from my displays, might only add feel or food stops if needed. My own poi's I usually put as a destination.

Was hoping someone from retail could answer, or someone in a similar position to me, looking to buy.
Will look at Utube to see if there is a good review there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In was asking specifically about the TomTom go camper 2018 against the Garmin 770.
Just wondered if anyone had actually compared the two?
Not interested in using a mobile, too small.
I understand what people own is usually the best so reviews can sometimes about a single item can be biased.
TGC and Supermike it's not compulsory to answer if you don't want to. Sorry if I an boring you but I expect most questions and opinions had been raised so might as well close the forum down.
I am asking a specific question about a brand new sat nav launched 3 months and an existing market leader.

Iandsm you mention poi icons, how are they shown on the TomTom?
Must admit I clear the clutter from my displays, might only add feel or food stops if needed. My own poi's I usually put as a destination.

Was hoping someone from retail could answer, or someone in a similar position to me, looking to buy.
Will look at Utube to see if there is a good review there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As I understand it they are simply marked with a coloured star or similar symbol as opposed to Garmin where they are an icon indicating the type of POI you touch them and the information about tat particular location will be shown.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I started off years ago using a (then) top notch Garmin which has given me sterling service (I still get updated maps). It's now been relegated to the car and instead I use a TomTom Go 1005 I was given in the van. I prefer it for the larger screen but I also think the display is easier to follow. I can load all my POIs on it too although I've found that I'm up against the limits of the memory now.

Although they all do the same thing (hopefully) they're all a little different and it comes down to what you actually use it for. I'm happy with these older units as I don't rely on them, preferring to use my own observations, common sense and a decent map (capably handled by my navigator). Even then we've occasionally been caught out by low bridges, narrow streets etc. but it's all part of the fun.

Tablets etc. to me take up too much room and can be distracting. The navigator usually has a netbook running with the last version of Microsoft Autoroute, which is generally to route plan beforehand, record our wanderings and also displays POI's much better than the satnav. I normally can't see the screen so it doesn't distract.

I've looked at all the latest offerings but haven't seen anything in the various gizmos that would persuade me to pay hundreds of pounds for. My advice, after checking out the various reviews, is to go with the one you think gives you what you need and learn to use it properly.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was a big fan of TomTom and used them for years, but a number of hardware failures pushed me into the "never again" group. All the Garmin hardware seems better, the screens more responsive with better contrast, me and Siân have one each . the Had them a while now and I must say they are superb. Garmin Maps are free and Tom Tom users should be grateful that competition from Garmin stopped Tom Tom from charging everyone for annual map updates. Also have Co Pilot on my phone which is good, but I prefer a dedicated unit.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Garmin / avtex camper for me , updates although slow are frequent, have camper and Nuvi in car (y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have the Garmin 770-LMT-D Had some problems with it with respect to missing icons, broken links etc but all fixed by Garmin through updates etc. It's a neat bit of kit but the routing can be a bit of a pain. I have to check my route after selecting my destination as on occasions it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Had the garmin camper 660 model. Couple of problems and faults with it , major of which was ( and as we found out later) a known hardware problem ref the power lead and internal (gps unit) soldered connections to it . The fault caused a pop up message box almost covering the screen , stating wrong lead was attached .With the only way of removing the pop up message being to remove the power lead...... Garmins assistance and "solution" was unacceptable .

Now going the way of fitting a built in double din android media unit, which can have all manner of gps mapping installed via apps . EG Waze / google maps / tom tom mobile / iGo primo / free lorry routing map apps etc . Each of them having their uses at any given time , dependant on requirements at the time . Simple press of a button to change to any given app. Also allows for not having trailing usb leads or gadget stuck to windscreen or ensuring thing is charged etc.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
All the above are useful posts, but this may be of interest to you.

There are now ONLY two companies left in the world producing the actual mapping data. The first being a Tomtom owned subsidiary company based in Holland. The second being a Garmin owned company in the USA. ALL the other makes of sat navs and apps, including google, buy or steal (Chinese ebay specials) from these two companies or from companies who have purchased data from them (ie IGO Etc)

Neither of the two companies produce campervan / caravan specific data. The market is simply not big enough. They ONLY produce car OR truck data.

Whilst you sat nav may have a picture of a campervan or caravan, the navcore ( the operating system for your device - just like windows XP, 8, 10 etc) is simply showing you the picture, but is working on truck data.

I have just spent 4 weeks touring Austria and France. Both these countries have extensive restrictions which prevent HGVs from using local roads. I use a Tomtom Truck and a Tomtom car sat nav. If I had solely used the truck version, I would have travelled several hundred extra miles and had to have incurred extra cost (go box in Austria) as the unit was continually directing us away from towns (even with toll roads turned off, we either had no route possible or directed on toll roads). However, the restrictions do not apply to motorhomes, and by using a car sat nav, and a good map (remember them), we happily transversed both countries with no problems, visiting some spectacular locations. The Tomtom truck was continually shouting “turn around when possible”

One final bit of info, gleaned from both Tomtom and Garmin. “Free lifetime updates” actually means the length of time the actual unit is supported by either manufacturer. At the present time, both companies are estimating such time as “not exceeding 5 yrs”. This is based on the fact that actual map data sizes are increasing at a dramatic rate, that present day units will not be able to hold the data of future maps. An example is the Tomtom truck Europe map. It has increased by over 50% in less that 18mths, from 2gb to over 3gb in size.

Hope this helps

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Oh dear, this ones been done to death..... but here we go again, get yourself a tomtom truck 6000. Lifetime map updates really easy to use, never let us down....
There we go done and dusted, till someone else asks the same question :LOL::LOL:

How much are they tog?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Whichever you go for will require a degree of common sense, which most of us old frats still have even if location is forgotten from time to time.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Off the subject for a second,,, Well only a bit off,,,,, I have a tomtom that keeps telling me my maps are months old ( 500 approx) lol

When they ask if I want to upload new maps,, how do I do it??

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Off the subject for a second,,, Well only a bit off,,,,, I have a tomtom that keeps telling me my maps are months old ( 500 approx) lol

When they ask if I want to upload new maps,, how do I do it??
Your device should be registered with Tom Tom. You just connect device and log into the App/website and it's automatic

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

The Tomtom GO Camper is basically a Go 6200 with the ability to input vehicle size data and has a number of Camping specific POI files included. Re the updating of the unit, you can do it with the unit directly connected to the Wifi and I would only suggest you use this facility if the Wifi connection is offering a good download speed as the files are very big.

Regarding POI files the GO Camper appears to have specific Icons for the Camping POI files on the unit as they are shown on the advertising information. Any other POI files you add can only use the 5 or 6 specific icons offered.

Regarding my experience of Garmin and Tomtom, all with the latest updates, I have the Garmin 660 Camper which is similar to the current 770 unit as far as mapping and routing as far as I know. I also have a TT car unit the GO 5000 which is again similar mapping and routing wise to the GO Camper except you cannot input Size data.

I find the Traffic data far better on the Tomtom and the routing is better as well. The Garmin has made more errors on routing, usually when nearing a destination, then the Tomtom or the older TT unit I have with Caravan mapping on it which I can put size data in. I have mentioned the Garmin routing errors on here before, ie directing you into Church Place in Moffat, a dead end, when going to the Caravan campsite there and the extra 10 miles it suggests going from Borough Green to Longfield. Re the latter if you force it to take the A227 and B260 which are perfectly suitable routes it directs you through a shopping parades car park before returning to the Junction for the B260 it ignored earlier.

I accept that these are just a couple of errors but there have been other cases as there have been on the Tomtom. The errors however have been more on the Garmin than the TT units. There are some aspects of the Garmin that are better, the search facility for example but generally I feel I can rely on the Tomtom routing than the Garmin and that is what we get them for.

I have told Garmin about the error and todate they have not corrected them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back