MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi, we intend visiting Ypres and Mametz Wood in mid October. we will be taking the mother in law who wont be staying in the motorhome, so we could do with both a B&B recommendation and a motorhome stopover around the area. Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Also by the swimming pool a carpark lots of vans there last year .
A five minute walk to town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
As Clickem said.
We went over a few years ago with SIL & husband. They travelled over in the van, we stayed at Jeugdstadion and they found an apartment about 5 minutes away. Ypres is a town geared up for short stay visitors so there’s lots of options. We plan to go back again at the end of August.
Note that at some times of year it’s VERY busy.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Another vote for Jeugstadion. Stay here regularly, love the fact it is so close to such a fabulous town centre. Can't suggest b and b accommodation but their are several b and b and small hotels within 10 mins easy walk. Perhaps a Google search will help.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Anyone know if the battlefields allow dogs. Spending a week in France mid September and thinking about a few days in Belgium.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Anyone know if the battlefields allow dogs. Spending a week in France mid September and thinking about a few days in Belgium.

In all honesty I've visited most of the battlefield sites and can't recall seeing dogs on them although at the time I wasn't a dog owner. Can't see any real reason why not, except perhaps for the more commercialized places, but in that case I'd just leave our pooch in the van - he's happy enough to be left alone for an hour.

I believe Vicarious Books have a guide to the battlefields.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
after doing some research on my own family, ive found my great grandfather was killed by german shelling at Zillebeke Lake, Leper - just outside Ypres - and there are a couple of motorhome camping spots there. one 8 euros and a free one (park4night) - so we will pitch up there at least one night

is there any free parking close to the Menin Gate itself, for daytime or overnight parking?

thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Motorhomes are now banned from parking by the canal, there is a carpark further along the road but you have to approach from the other end due to barriers across the road. A little bit further is the new sports centre we stopped there they don't mind out of season but you will probably get a visit from a nice Gendarm the next morning saying you are not allowed to overninght but he knew had as he asked if we had seen anything going on has they had some try to break into the leisure centre during the night, all very pleasant no hassel.

Blue area is the carpark, red is where we stayed.

upload_2018-9-16_10-48-23.png

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Also by the swimming pool a carpark lots of vans there last year .
A five minute walk to town.
Stayed there also last week for the night, very quiet, 2 other vans and a15 min walk to the Menin gate along the moat side, watched the last post bugler at 8 pm, quite a crowd there but it was a Sunday. Lots of B&B, s in the town around the gate area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back