positive termeinal (2 Viewers)

John Hutchinson

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
I have a 1998 Peugeot boxer motorhome and the positive terminal on the engine battery has 2 live cables. One of these as come away from where it was fastened to and I have had to tape the end off as it is still live. Does anyone know what the cable fastens on to as I don't want to make things worse by securing it to the wrong terminal, thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a 1998 Peugeot boxer motorhome and the positive terminal on the engine battery has 2 live cables. One of these as come away from where it was fastened to and I have had to tape the end off as it is still live. Does anyone know what the cable fastens on to as I don't want to make things worse by securing it to the wrong terminal, thanks
Welcome to the forum but you've confused me a bit which admittedly isn't difficult to do. :) I'm assuming the two red wires are still attached to the + terminal and it is the other end of one which is waving about?
If this is the case it would be worth trying to find if anything isn't now working, such as a radio. If you find something not working this will be a big help to locate where the wire should go.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
And where about has it detached? Is it just a short bit of wire that is coming from the + terminal on to something in the engine bay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

John Hutchinson

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
Welcome to the forum but you've confused me a bit which admittedly isn't difficult to do. :) I'm assuming the two red wires are still attached to the + terminal and it is the other end of one which is waving about?
If this is the case it would be worth trying to find if anything isn't now working, such as a radio. If you find something not working this will be a big help to locate where the wire should go.
everything seems to be working but I wondered if it had anything to do with split relay that charges the leisure battery

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

John Hutchinson

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
And where about has it detached? Is it just a short bit of wire that is coming from the + terminal on to something in the engine bay?
there are some terminals at the side of the battery and the cable is about a foot long which can easily reach these

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have a 1998 Peugeot boxer motorhome and the positive terminal on the engine battery has 2 live cables. One of these as come away from where it was fastened to and I have had to tape the end off as it is still live.

How do you know that it is still live? Have you measured the voltage on the loose wire?

It’s a little unclear whether the loose wire that you refer to is the end that is/was connected to the battery or whether it is the other end of the wire? Can you clarify?

Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

John Hutchinson

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
How do you know that it is still live? Have you measured the voltage on the loose wire?

It’s a little unclear whether the loose wire that you refer to is the end that is/was connected to the battery or whether it is the other end of the wire? Can you clarify?

Ian
I don't know about the voltage but it is definitely live as it is attached to the positive terminal

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I don't know about the voltage but it is definitely live as it is attached to the positive terminal

Ok, that’s clarified which end is loose.

If it’s a only a short length that should help to identify where it can reach to identify its potential home.

Ian

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Any photos? Sounds like it's slipped out of a relay or something. Have you got a battery master fitted? Could be the wire off of that possibly?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

John Hutchinson

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Funster No
IMG_20180722_122813.jpg IMG_20180722_122857.jpg here are some pictures but I don't know what a battery master is

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Given its length there are only a limited number of places for it to go.
Have a close look around and it should become clear where it goes.
You might be able to see a spade connection with no cable or an opening for it to go through ?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
View attachment 244768 View attachment 244769 here are some pictures but I don't know what a battery master is
A battery master is a thing which works in the opposite direction to a split charge relay. They come into their own if you have solar panels by ensuring the vehicle battery is fully charged.

But to trace where your rogue wire comes from try using a small mirror to peek underneath those bits in the background of your photos. You might get lucky and spot a terminal connection missing a wire. What to look for depends what the end of the wire looks like. Has it broken or come lose?

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hmm the plot thickens. It's a lot thicker than I was expecting. That is quite a meaty looking cable. Defo not off a battery master type device. Was the end that you had to tape up just bare wire or did it have some kind of spade connector on it?

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
John, you've had your five free posts, so you'll need to subscribe now if you want to post further. Well worth it.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Subscribe annually, keep a receipt, tell your insurance company you are a member of a paid club and you get 25 quid off your premium (y) everybody wins :love:

Upvote 0

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Although the cable doesn't look particularly old, I'd imagine that, being the size it is, it will want to lie in the same shape that it has been in since it was fitted. That might help identify where it should go?

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Then green connector is not connected to anything. Worth looking in the bottom of the battery box to see if the other end came off that cable

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back