Carthago Body Manufacturing Methods (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I am interested in how Carthago make their motorhomes particularly in relation to damp and whether timber is used and to what extent

I like the look of the S Plus on the Iveco chassis with the twin rear wheel set up so this is the model that I am interested in.

From what I can find on the web the walls, ceiling and floors are an aluminium sandwich with GRP protection on the underside and roof. What has been silent is what is used for the structural strength in terms of support or beams, in other words what is used for any joists or their equivalent in the floor, walls and ceilings or are no such things required.

What is the "meat" in the aluminium sandwich would also be of interest and to what extent this is rot proof?

Are there any owners out there who can give an unbiased view of their S Plus MH and whether they would buy it again?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The wall construction is aluminium both inside and outside bonded to a styrofoam closed cell foam core so it can not soak up or retain moisture/damp, by their own description there is no wood in the body structure and the roof and walls will be self supporting, the floor is a double affair with the inside habitation floor supported from the road floor to make a strong box. In this class of van you could also look at N+B Flair and Morelo home/loft although the home is on the lighter 50C chassis, is the Carthage on the 60C?

Martin

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The wall construction is aluminium both inside and outside bonded to a styrofoam closed cell foam core so it can not soak up or retain moisture/damp, by their own description there is no wood in the body structure and the roof and walls will be self supporting, the floor is a double affair with the inside habitation floor supported from the road floor to make a strong box. In this class of van you could also look at N+B Flair and Morelo home/loft although the home is on the lighter 50C chassis, is the Carthage on the 60C?

Martin

The brochure states "Iveco Daily 50C" as I am interested in the S Plus l50 but something pre-owned rather than new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look on their website.
This section, below, describes the way they are built.
The whole body is extremely rigid and if you look inside you will see that the wall cabinets and furniture are all connected to brace the inside of the big cube that makes up the body.
I can’t say that our Carthago is perfect in every way (what motor homes are?) but the way the beast is built is excellent.
https://www.carthago.com/en/carthago-dna/body-concept/

Richard.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The sides are Aluminium, bonded together with foam in the middle - no wood - denser foam is used where screws are used.
Cabinets are jointed and add to the strength of the finished vehicle. Cabinets are built first. Everything tested whilst still accessible (electrics, water, gas) before outer skins are added. Solid construction, but may be no better than the competition. S plus is as sound as the rest. Bling rating increases as you creep up the spec line.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The sides are Aluminium, bonded together with foam in the middle - no wood - denser foam is used where screws are used.
Cabinets are jointed and add to the strength of the finished vehicle. Cabinets are built first. Everything tested whilst still accessible (electrics, water, gas) before outer skins are added. Solid construction, but may be no better than the competition. S plus is as sound as the rest. Bling rating increases as you creep up the spec line.

Its interesting how they all do it slightly different, our 2005 Concorde states in the brochure that the whole body is fully built first and then the inside added, its says''After all you would build the inside of the house first and then add the walls''

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its interesting how they all do it slightly different, our 2005 Concorde states in the brochure that the whole body is fully built first and then the inside added, its says''After all you would build the inside of the house first and then add the walls''
They have changed that now Paul, I believe Phoenix still build the box first and of course Vario-mobile do. N+B and Morelo are very similar to Concorde as well but at Morelo they seem to do more work inside the shell than N+B.

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I concur with the technical explanations above, and I have a 2010 S plus on a Merc chassis ( before they changed to Iveco so as to get a level floor, Merc wouldn’t let Carthago alter the chassis hence the Merc variant has a small step from lounge to kitchen, and sunken footwells)
Overall am very pleased with it, no inherent faults with the structure, a few niggles that you notice after a while and think WTF on a high end vehicle, but that’s like everything !
Only criticism ( and this applies to the Iveco base too) is the soft suspension and ‘wobble’ when cornering. I have rear air suspension, and although that helps ( as well as recently dropping the tyre pressures) I guess you gotta expect a bit of ‘lean’ with a heavy motor that’s well over 3m tall!
Huge garage, fantastic bedroom ( we have the island bed version) and plenty of storage ( and we FT in ours). Good choice sir!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They still build the S Plus you are interested in, in Germany, some of the range are built in Slovenia now. Only really looked over older models up to 2006 and they are a cracking build quality, not sure about the later ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They still build the S Plus you are interested in, in Germany, some of the range are built in Slovenia now. Only really looked over older models up to 2006 and they are a cracking build quality, not sure about the later ones.
The Malibu range, the Tourer range & the Chic-C line are built in Slovenia.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The issue of concern is now that the one I'm looking at has the Iveco Agile gearbox which is something like the Fiat Comformatic. I have however seen quite a lot of bad press about this gearbox and not many favourable comments. Am I right to be concerned?

Anyone got an Agile box and is happy to say that they're pleased with it or would buy another one?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The weak point on the Agile gearbox seems to be the clutch overheats with a bit of manoeuvring, that said it is fitted to vans up to 7200kg and then towing as well so it does get some hard work, I have not read of specific problems with the gearbox itself and it is the box of choice on most concorde and N+B vans after about 2007.

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
None of them are bad, buy what you like without getting too involved in The technicalities, after all, the manufacturers spend millions on development, more than the average motorhomers appreciate..........don’t get too bogged down on what a funster may say :imoutahere: ( unless it’s an English van of course :Eeek:)

The S plus is a quality van(y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I like most things about the S Plus but couldn't live with the lounge because we find it too cramped ( personal choice I know). Its a shame they dont offer a 2 bench or even a bar version. I know of other sales they ve also lost because of this.

I've been told that later versions of the agile were much better but if you can find a bit more money and go for the 8 speed wandler its a huge improvement. Quite a few on Mobile.de although some are ex rentals.

Jon

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I like most things about the S Plus but couldn't live with the lounge because we find it too cramped ( personal choice I know). Its a shame they dont offer a 2 bench or even a bar version. I know of other sales they ve also lost because of this.

Jon

I think from the latest MMM that there’s a twin sofa layout in the 2019 lineup, although I can’t remember if it’s on the S Plus or not. We thought we’d find the lounge cramped on our C Tourer, and I’d got as far as exploring alternative table tops; but in practice we have had no problems with it. As you say, personal choice.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well it's all change and SWMBO showed zero interest in the Carthago S Plus as it had dark wood, cream leather and she obviously did not fancy it. Back to the drawing board again!

So I phoned up about a 2013 N & B Arto 88E and eventually was told it was sold but, he said, I've got another one one year younger making it the new model but the island bed instead of 2 singles.

Long story short travelled up today and done the deal to buy the Arto with my Autotrail in part exchange plus some money!

Got to wait now until we can actually swap over and pay the balance but dead chuffed with the Arto and the wife loves it which is most important!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Need to get on the phone to Eddie @vanbitz to book in for an alarm system at funsters rates as he's only just up the road from me at Taunton.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well it's all change and SWMBO showed zero interest in the Carthago S Plus as it had dark wood, cream leather and she obviously did not fancy it. Back to the drawing board again!

So I phoned up about a 2013 N & B Arto 88E and eventually was told it was sold but, he said, I've got another one one year younger making it the new model but the island bed instead of 2 singles.

Long story short travelled up today and done the deal to buy the Arto with my Autotrail in part exchange plus some money!

Got to wait now until we can actually swap over and pay the balance but dead chuffed with the Arto and the wife loves it which is most important!

Back in bed together then? AAAAAAH.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
None of them are bad, buy what you like without getting too involved in The technicalities, after all, the manufacturers spend millions on development, more than the average motorhomers appreciate..........don’t get too bogged down on what a funster may say :imoutahere: ( unless it’s an English van of course :Eeek:)

The S plus is a quality van(y)
I think, for those unfamiliar with the descriptions and technology, that it is important to know that all robotic manual gearboxes use a conventional clutch - albeit operated by a servo. It's worth knowing because, unlike a conventional torque converter-based auto, all extremely low speed manoeuvring involves slipping the clutch. When driving a manual one is aware of this and will minimise the time spent performing the manoeuvre. It isn't so obvious with a robotic auto and it is therefore very easy to damage the clutch.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I think, for those unfamiliar with the descriptions and technology, that it is important to know that all robotic manual gearboxes use a conventional clutch - albeit operated by a servo. It's worth knowing because, unlike a conventional torque converter-based auto, all extremely low speed manoeuvring involves slipping the clutch. When driving a manual one is aware of this and will minimise the time spent performing the manoeuvre. It isn't so obvious with a robotic auto and it is therefore very easy to damage the clutch.

No creeping up ramps then!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The N & B is a 3 litre, conformatic auto from 2014 with just under 2k miles on the clock! 2 rich guys bought then changed their minds and sold!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Congratulations on your purchase and look forward to seeing pictures of your new pride and joy(y)

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just a couple of basic ones until it arrives!

DSC_0455 front-1.jpg
DSC_0459 rear-1.jpg

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I ought to just say that the nearside side wall of the Arto is not rippled! Its just the reflection of the corrugated side wall of the garage that it is parked beside!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back