Saltrock

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string question' but how much realistically could you get off a £50,000 motor home. I've done a bit of research online and someone said you could get as much as 20% off but this seems too much to me. Anyone's experience would be great. Thanks in advance

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
20% does sound a lot buyt I am sure somebody will be along and say go abroad and you can save that and more, wherever you do your deal the discount will come down to how desperate the dealer is to sell so the time of year his stock levels and all sorts of other things will go into the mix.

Push for the best deal possible and if it suits you go for it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You should also remember that your contract is with the Dealer you buy it off. Don't expect to buy something cheap in Sunny Scotland and expect your local Dealer in Cornwall to welcome you with open arms when it comes to getting it fixed.

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
You need to be on good terms with your dealer, if you are both happy with the agreement then you should have a good handover and further service.
Try to push the dealer too hard and you won't get such good after sales service.
On buying my van I knew the list price and knew exactly what extras I wanted, the dealer knew this as he joked I knew as much as him, had been in a few times before to discuss the van.
Arranged a date to make the order, discussed what I wanted and filled the form, I knew exactly the list price of the total package, and an idea of what I thought was reasonable cost, went for lunch while he worked out a price that, in his words "Would be agreeable to us both" his price was exactly what I expected so we shook on that with no need for discussion and one of us feeling good or bab.
Still waiting but he has been helpfull when I have asked any questions and ok for leaving things prior to the pitch up when I visit and check it a week before.
I have been very happy with Hayes

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I got 20% off BUT just right time, right place and right van.

At the time, December 2011, I contacted many dealers about the model i wanted. Those that had them in stock all offered a 10% discount, remember this was in December and they had the vans sat there.. So timing could be an important factor.
Also the make, model and popularity of the van you want will influence any discounts..

Good luck.(y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If buying abroad 13-15% is typically, we did a bit better at a show and got 20% plus a very good trade in more than we could have sold privately for. Don't think you will fair so well in the UK.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string question' but how much realistically could you get off a £50,000 motor home. I've done a bit of research online and someone said you could get as much as 20% off but this seems too much to me. Anyone's experience would be great. Thanks in advance

Are you going off the list price or is this for a van that's already sitting on a dealers forecourt.

My local MoHo dealer sells Autotrail, Elddis, Chausson and Hymer and because van sales have slowed a bit recently he has had to reduce his stock quite significantly (MY19 stock is just around the corner too).

The biggest reduction is his Hymer vans with a discount ranging from £12k to £17.5k while the other three brands have seen their respective forecourt prices reduce by £6k to £9k depending on the size of the van.

It would help if you mentioned a brand as some are more open to reductions than others.

Welcome to FUN by the way,

Andrew

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are not too fussy about the model and extras you want you can pick up some good bargains on dealer's stock van in the autumn when next year's model are starting to arrive and they are getting desperate to clear out this year's stock. In November 2015 we bought a 2015 model year Hymer that had been overspecced with extras and got almost 20% off list price and a very good p/x offer for my old motorhome.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I was offered £4,000 of a £78,000 Rapido, so around 5%. I was hoping for 10%. Just biding my time, will see what is on offer discount wise at the show in October.
I think the days of big discounts in the UK are gone unless you can find a model the dealer needs to move.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The dealer is more important than their discount. They all have to earn a living, somehow, and you will soon discover where the hidden costs are if you go on price alone.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I was offered £4,000 of a £78,000 Rapido, so around 5%. I was hoping for 10%. Just biding my time, will see what is on offer discount wise at the show in October.
I think the days of big discounts in the UK are gone unless you can find a model the dealer needs to move.
How about 5% discount and 5 to 10% in extras that would work for me....

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some years ago I had a friend in the trade and he said the dealers are given 12 weeks after delivery (from the manufacturer) before they had to pay and a good time to buy but things may have changed since then. When trying to get a good deal at the major Motorhome shows I’ve sat waiting a few times while a dealer goes off to have a chat with the manufacturer who I think may give them a bit extra discount for vans sold at the show. About 8-10% discount on the vans that sell, maybe more if the dealer and manufacturer are unable to move them.

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I got 10% off which I didn’t expect,this was a motorhome that was showcased at the nec as a first into Britain.
I think as the dealers payment schedule to pay the manufacturer was within the 2 months that I said I would pay the balance swung the deal,I’m sure they made a nice profit as well so everyone was happy.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
All motorhomes have teething problems- it's been said before in this thread...don't forget to put a value-to-you of the dealer being both good AND close
If it is £100 of Diesel and a day (or more) out of your life to get problems fixed, that soon adds up

As an answer to your original question, with no p/x in the deal, 10% should be achievable, but don't forget £50000 is actually £41666+vat. On the basis that NO ONE can get discount off the vat, 10% of 50k is £4166.....if you get my drift

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
All motorhomes have teething problems- it's been said before in this thread...don't forget to put a value-to-you of the dealer being both good AND close
If it is £100 of Diesel and a day (or more) out of your life to get problems fixed, that soon adds up

As an answer to your original question, with no p/x in the deal, 10% should be achievable, but don't forget £50000 is actually £41666+vat. On the basis that NO ONE can get discount off the vat, 10% of 50k is £4166.....if you get my drift
Not true as the VAT will be on the reduced net price 37500 + vat

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back