LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Guess who is booked into the very same CCC Dartmouth site for the weekend in a couple of weeks time? Will let you know if we receive similar treatment. :cautious:
We're home again now, but I doubt you'll have any difficulties... provided you've read up on the rules! ;)

Though saying that, I studied the 560-page CCC yearbook, and although found reference to the importance of keeping accommodation 6 metres from next accommodation, couldn't see anything about pegs, markers or firebreaks!! :)

Anyway, the site is pleasant, if somewhat densely populated from our perspective. Though we did ask for a quiet spot on arrival, and that is duly what we were allocated. Furthest from the facilities block, but still not too far. Everywhere appeared well 'manicured' and the loo block was modern and spotless.

As mentioned, the bus stop outside the gate is very convenient, but because the A379 Dartmouth to Kingsbridge road is closed along part of Slapton beach - it was washed away in one of the beast from the east storms - the bus timetable is less than reliable - well I assume that's what caused the lateness. Fortunately, we've got a bus tracker with live data on our phones, so could see when it was expected. (y)

One final point, we spotted a very attractive (to us) open field next door with access from the campsite and one or two tents and campers in it. So asked about it at reception. Apparently, it's an overflow field they share with the local farmer (no idea who actually owns the land), but it is normally only available from mid-July until end of August. But because they've been busy and the farmer didn't need it, they opened it to campers a couple of weeks early.

The field site is not available to caravans, only tents and campers (which I assume includes motorhomes?). There are about half a dozen hook-ups down one side of the field. It can't be booked in advance, but can be requested on arrival if open. Maximum of 30 units in a giant field and with great open rural views. Still not too far from the facilities.

Horses-for-courses I guess. If you like everything regimented and laid out then the main site is fine, but we did look enviously at the overflow field.

Whatever, have a great stay and let us know how you get on. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Wow you have to to be a member of a club to go on a camping site:eek:
Just had a quick scan of the rules(thanks @scotjimland for the link) but I don’t think it’s for me (for now at least) I’ll stick with the ACSI and euroland (whilst we can still get in:LOL:)I have my Bord atlas and Camperstop Europe at the ready(y)
Can I use a CL (wotever that is? I believe it’s a small 5 place site?? Yes??) without being in the ccc or the cmc?? Jeez I have a lot to learn.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not all, many are open to non-members at a higher rate ..

Can I use a CL (wotever that is? I believe it’s a small 5 place site?? Yes??) without being in the ccc or the cmc??
Officially no, but if you just turn up at the CL some owners don't ask to see your membership card.. but when booking over the phone most will ask for it.. CLs are my main reason for being a member..

I’ll stick with the ACSI and euroland (whilst we can still get in:LOL:)I have my Bord atlas and Camperstop Europe at the ready(y)

We also use these when abroad.. but ditched all the books and mainly use

You find rules on all sites, both home and abroad.. they are in place to ensure both the smooth running of the site and your enjoyment of your stay , but if they are not to your liking then as you say, don't think they are for you .

I've seen sites abroad that don't allow twin axle motorhomes or caravans .. In the UK there are Adult only sites, sites for naturists .. sites with bars and clubs etc . I even know a site where alcohol is forbidden.. suits me but not all.. so everyone is different in what they need, want or expect from a site .. that is why there is such a variety in both prices and facilities.

keep on camping :cool:

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just had a quick scan of the rules(thanks @scotjimland for the link) but I don’t think it’s for me (for now at least) I’ll stick with the ACSI and euroland (whilst we can still get in:LOL:)I have my Bord atlas and Camperstop Europe at the ready(y)
Can I use a CL (wotever that is? I believe it’s a small 5 place site?? Yes??) without being in the ccc or the cmc?? Jeez I have a lot to learn.
You stick with JIM, he will keep you right (y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In case of fire .... run like hell. Van kit and all stay where they are. .

Yes! and don't forget to leave the $3000 cash, your and your wife's Rolex watches , the sacred 15th century Icons from Mother Russia that your Great Grandma smuggled out in her knickers, and! the gold tooth pick once used by Peter the Great

If you want to throw in a 42inch bar McCulloch Chainsaw then I'll go witness for you!

Friend!!!! ??????

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Jims rules have fun. And eat drink and be merry.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Gas bottles outside of the unit a safety issue ?
Please explain ?

To repose @Basildog question, why are gas bottles outside of the unit considered a safety issue. Does this have any reference to the size of the bottle, recon there are many with the cadac's attached to larger bottles. I would imagine outside the vehicle to be safer, if there is a problem the bottle and all its attachments are easily accessible for those who would do war with the extinguisher. :confused::confused:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are many commercial sites that aren't involved with either Club. What you will find is that to be where you want to be you need as many options open to you as possible.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ref the foregoing, My (recent) experience

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/july-cmc-magazine-caring-for-you-page10.156120/page-2

It`s easier than re-typing it all!!!.

The Main reason I stay in the (now) C&MC, is for the C-L`s. The full facility sites are getting to be overpriced, and unlike the C&CC they have no age concessions off peak, just some on less used sites, not always where I am or wish to be.

Gas Bottles are less of an issue that much of the more flammable items and materials from which the motorhome or Caravan is made. I cannot remember offhand the rupture pressure of a Standard Calor bottle but it is very high, and the cylinder would have to "cook" a longish time to become an issue. The standard way of tackling one, is to spray water on it to cool it.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
A couple of years back, November it was. The weather had been wet and we had booked to see a show in Oxford. We booked at an Oxford site that was near a Park and Ride and Go Outdoors. Parking on the grass at that time of year is off limits(y), so parking is allowed in the road sections. We booked in, and a Warden showed us to where we were allocated. We had to go onto the grass to get passed another moho. Well we got stuck, mud went every where, to say I was not happy would have been a gross understatement. However, I was able to back out without any help from the Warden, as I had told him I was going to reverse as I was not going to get where he wanted me to go (he was not happy with me). I told him I was going to park behind a Hymer just up the way. So with the deed all done, I noticed the front near side covered in mud, wheel, passenger door, windows ect. So I connected up my hose to the water supply and was cleaning off the mud when the Head Warden came by and told me off for cleaning the van, also did I not know the grass was wet with the recent rain:X3:. I tried to explain, but he would not listen, and threatened to throw me off site. So I walked away, help up my right hand and said "what ever, you know better than I do":rolleyes:

Now that man was what I call a Richard Head:ROFLMAO:. Never been back, refuse to go back:sick:

OH yes I left very deep rucks in the muddy grass, took photo's on my phone, it was an awful mess I made, still . . . . . . .

KiwiGT

Free Member
May 5, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just as well it wasn’t the “other” club or it would have been officious

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Guess who is booked into the very same CCC Dartmouth site for the weekend in a couple of weeks time? Will let you know if we receive similar treatment. :cautious:

So we went, we stayed, we came back last weekend.

Sorry to be controversial, but no tales of woe or stories of mistreatment by over officious wardens to share, we weren't asked to move or in violation of the placement / fire break rules, whatever they may be (but we were on hard standing). The wardens were indeed pretty new to the site but were just friendly and accommodating during our time there. Based on our experience on this trip, given 'Little Cotton' campsite is no more, we will likely return again when its time for SWMBO's next pilgrimage down to Dartmouth.

SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used to be in both clubs but dropped the C&CC after a year, I’d rather pick which pitch we use rather than be directed to one

Deleted User
We used to be in both clubs but dropped the C&CC after a year, I’d rather pick which pitch we use rather than be directed to one

We only ever use either clubs sites for one or two night stops and couldn't really care what pitch I am on whether chosen by me or allocated.

I find it greatly amusing to see motorhomes driving round and round looking for the'best' pitch......and then leaving the next morning:)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Cindy drove down without me on the Friday as I was at work (I caught up by motorcycle that evening), she was given the choice of several unused hard standing pitches on arrival, so she got to choose from those available.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have just returned from a few days down at Berwick-upon-Tweed (CMC), site absolutely full but given the choice of any available pitch, we chose grass given weather was so good. Previous weekend at Moffat (CCC) again completely full but asked whether wanted near facilities or not, but didn5 get to choose pitch though to be fair did not ask!
Off to Melrose this weekend, got the last pitch yesterday,
Our experience is that it’s about 40% motorhomes now and while some obviously don’t like the clubs there are thousands who do!
Bill

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Are metres in Germany different to UK metres ?....Just been to Germany their 6m converts to 600mm :eek: That's my front blocking a sat signal :D

P1160486.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are metres in Germany different to UK metres ?....Just been to Germany their 6m converts to 600mm :eek: That's my front blocking a sat signal :D

with that spacing/crowding it looks more like a Stellplatz .. :Eeek:

can you name so we can avoid ?

SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We ditched our membership of “the friendly club” for similar reasons. I like to pick my own pitch & I don’t like the way you book in advance with them. Much easier with C&MC

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I was at the site a couple of weeks ago. Had a choice of grass pitches. Wardens were OK. And by chance, I looked up one night and saw the ISS. Fish-and-chip van did good chips...shame they couldn't keep track of who was ordering what, and lost my order for a while :(.

If you're the walking type, it took me about an hour-and-a-half to get to the castle via the coastal path, with a quick stop for a snack and a detour to look at Compass Cove. And about an hour-or-so to get back from the town via Warfleet and the B3205.

The Bayards Cove Inn does a really good coffee (y).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My god I have just finished reading this thread after just getting back from a 2 week trip to the Mosel Valley. I did not realise the mortal danger I was in when using johnny foreigner's Stellplatz and campsite. And in Germany too. Maybe their fire isn't as dangerous as ours. Mind you same must apply to France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Glad you are home safe and sound @peterc10 . We are still out in Portugal. Might even make it back home again after having my van fixed. We hope you had a great time.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Glad you are home safe and sound @peterc10 . We are still out in Portugal. Might even make it back home again after having my van fixed. We hope you had a great time.
Oh no Mike it hasn't broken down again has it? Repairs must be getting expensive. Good luck with them

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not to bad this time only 45 euros' It seems to be going great now. We are going to try to get to See @BreweryDave . We have some teabags for Jackie. Just got to make sure it will not break down on the site . But thanks for the luck.
That will be the first time I have heard anybody giving Dave or Jackie something non alcoholic to drink ............................. just saying ......................... :D2

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
That will be the first time I have heard anybody giving Dave or Jackie something non alcoholic to drink ............................. just saying ......................... :D2

They sell em,, they don’t drink em!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back