Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone give me some advice please..I'm about to become a newbie this Wednesday, I admit I'm in the dark about WiFi/broadband,,,I just use my phone and computer at home but I think it depends on signal strength when I'm traveling to sites/wild camping ,,, I've seen on u-tube about boosters,I only need social media/internet,,,what would I need (uk)....I have a directional ariel for tv,,would I need a satellite dish for internet connection?....or just a booster?.....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A WiFi signal booster may help in weak signal areas.
Satellite Internet gets very expensive by the time you buy the dish etc and subscribe to a broadband provider, OK if you need it for work while on the road but just for social use not worth the expense in my opinion. Campsite WiFi can be excruciatingly slow and if you are pitched any distance from reception probably none existant.
A MiFi unit may be worth trying as you can tether numerous devices to it at the same time and as it has its own sim card you can set a budget without risking using all your phone allowance.
Some MiFi units will accept an extension antenna which could be window or roof mounted increasing signal strength.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
A WiFi signal booster may help in weak signal areas.
Satellite Internet gets very expensive by the time you buy the dish etc and subscribe to a broadband provider, OK if you need it for work while on the road but just for social use not worth the expense in my opinion. Campsite WiFi can be excruciatingly slow and if you are pitched any distance from reception probably none existant.
A MiFi unit may be worth trying as you can tether numerous devices to it at the same time and as it has its own sim card you can set a budget without risking using all your phone allowance.
Some MiFi units will accept an extension antenna which could be window or roof mounted increasing signal strength.
Thank you...could you tell me what you consider to be the best MiFi unit...kind regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are so many on the market now its impossible to say.
I have a Huawei 5332 which I've had for years without complaint.
There have been a few superceded models since I bought this one and most today will tether eight or ten devices at once.
Signal depends of course on which sim provider you use just like a phone.... Some sims work better in some areas better than others and of course, there are places there is no signal regardless of sim used.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Or do as I do. Phone tethering with Vodafone 40Gb data allowance which I've never got near using, even with the odd film on Netflix. Use in Europe just the same as at home. Four devices tethered.

That sounds a good package, I am just about to give up my works phone :( due to retirement :D

Looking for something similar for my own private options, how much does that work out at please?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is probably the best deal on a 4G mifi unit at the moment.
Broken Link Removed
I've used a 5573s (this is a bs) for a few years now which replaced a 5332 with no problems with either. The 5573s has the connectors for an external aerial, that I've got, but only use in a couple of locations where signal is weak. The 5573bs unit does not.
You need to buy with a contract but give 30 days notice and go onto a pay as go go deal.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Just a thought, have a look at GiffGaff......

I have been using them for 2 years now. No monthly contract and you can change plan up or down any time. Unlimited tethering.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans?
gCampaign=PS_G_Brand-Pure_Brand_FreeSIM_All&KWID=43700028536254103&gclid=CjwKCAjw4avaBRBPEiwA_ZetYlkrm7CZbnvjm_lYMiP-MB9nuSLq8tnKjo6kQECvwLtoFPQqBclxuxoCOL0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I currently use the 20 GB plan (y)
The problem with Giff Gaff is they only allow 2 months continuous use abroad.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
If you aren’t a heavy user just use your smart phone to tether your tablet. I have a 5gb monthly allowance and this certainly meets most of my needs. If I need anymore I go and sit outside Macdonald’s.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Ellie

Back to the beginning first ... what data allowance have you currently got on your phone and does the contract allow tethering (assuming its not a PAYG)?

You may not need a MIFI at all if you can simply use your phone's data allowance.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Before you buy anything,1st try your phone,I've had 12gig 3 SIM,also Spanish data Sims,but my phone is still better,and without a booster

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The problem with Giff Gaff is they only allow 2 months continuous use abroad.

Oh, I didn't know that :(

However, I just had a look at the website and note that the limit is 60 days abroad in 120 ................ so I might use my sim for the first 60 days then load up my wifes sim for the next 60 days then back to mine :D2:D2:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh, I didn't know that :(

However, I just had a look at the website and note that the limit is 60 days abroad in 120 ................ so I might use my sim for the first 60 days then load up my wifes sim for the next 60 days then back to mine :D2:D2:D2
Not sure that will work as you still won't have used it back in the UK which 'resets' the time limit ... if you use yours again it will probably count the middle 60 days too ... :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just bought a Huawei E5577 £60 on Amazon only been playing about with it impressed so far. Have a Poynting aerial for it on order £125 plus about another £20 for leads/adaptors.

Sounds like you are a low user so most packages will work for you. All networks apart from Vodafone restrict you to 12 or 15 GB per month when roaming. Also most only allow 60 days a year roaming.
The Three data Sims are good for the UK fairly good in France but restrict you to 3G when roaming.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Or do as I do. Phone tethering with Vodafone 40Gb data allowance which I've never got near using, even with the odd film on Netflix. Use in Europe just the same as at home. Four devices tethered.,,,I'm not very good with this Tech stuff, how do I tether my computer to my phone? thank you

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm on a
Hi Ellie

Back to the beginning first ... what data allowance have you currently got on your phone and does the contract allow tethering (assuming its not a PAYG)?

You may not need a MIFI at all if you can simply use your phone's data allowance.,,,I'm on a Tesco contract I will have to check my data allowance ..thank you

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
@Ellie said "I'm not very good with this Tech stuff, how do I tether my computer to my phone? thank you"

It depends on what make/model of phone and same with computer. It's straight forward.
On your phone go to settings. Under Wireless & Networks click on more and you should have Tethering and mobiile hotspot, here you will see something like Set up Wifi hotspot which gives you information of Network name, Security and the password. Make sure the Mobile Wifi hotspot button is on.

Depending on your computer but I think they are all the same (although cant speak for Apple). Click on Internet access and you should see your phone listed click on this and enter the password from your phone and you should then be tethered....

Good luck.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And has already been suggested. Check you are allowed to tether. Some contracts don't allow it - and they will know if you are. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a word of warning for those thinking of buying a 'locked' MIFI from Currys/PC World/Ebay etc ... the Vodafone R216 one (see image below) cannot be easily unlocked by a third party!

You will see some people advertising unlocking on Ebay but it is for the R216-Z / R216Z models which are white with a large black centre rectangle - the confusion comes because some of the 'Z' models don't have it stated on the box, just saying R216.

If you buy one off Ebay (lots of virtually new ones on there) you don't have to buy a 30 day contract (minimum £15 I think), you can top it up on PAYG £5 minimum with Vodafone which lasts up to 90 day, and then after 30 days you can apply to Vodafone for a free unlocking code - until you have activated the Vodafone sim in it and waited for 30 days Vodafone will NOT give you a free code ... the cheapest unlocking code I've found elsewhere is £12.50!
r216.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I too have the exact set up Paul and Yvette
Huawei 5575 with 3
No issues
Just dont expect to stream music or tv and keep your data very long
True,,3 eats data if watching TV,,,BUSBY,,

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
True,,3 eats data if watching TV,,,BUSBY,,
If you have a 3 contract for more than 12gb then you can get go binge which doesn't use up your data providing you use certain services eg Netflix TV player etc and you still have data left.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just a word of warning for those thinking of buying a 'locked' MIFI from Currys/PC World/Ebay etc ... the Vodafone R216 one (see image below) cannot be easily unlocked by a third party!

You will see some people advertising unlocking on Ebay but it is for the R216-Z / R216Z models which are white with a large black centre rectangle - the confusion comes because some of the 'Z' models don't have it stated on the box, just saying R216.

If you buy one off Ebay (lots of virtually new ones on there) you don't have to buy a 30 day contract (minimum £15 I think), you can top it up on PAYG £5 minimum with Vodafone which lasts up to 90 day, and then after 30 days you can apply to Vodafone for a free unlocking code - until you have activated the Vodafone sim in it and waited for 30 days Vodafone will NOT give you a free code ... the cheapest unlocking code I've found elsewhere is £12.50!
View attachment 243684
I was going to buy a mifi on a 30 day contract then found you can get a new unlocked Huawei E5577 on Amazon for £60, wasn't worth the hassle to save a few quid so bought one from Amazon.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I was going to buy a mifi on a 30 day contract then found you can get a new unlocked Huawei E5577 on Amazon for £60, wasn't worth the hassle to save a few quid so bought one from Amazon.
I did the same, it was so much hassle at Currys and they wanted to prop me for credit !!
Not that there is an issue, but £60 on amazon,completely unlocked or a tenner more (5577S) for a 12hour battery

I cant tether to my phone as it is still ( unfortunately) a works phone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back