MOT Test Handbrake efficiency - Sprinters (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Having just replaced all the handbrake components, shoes, disc/drums on my 1995-2006 416 Cdi with twin wheels on the back, with genuine OEM parts...the handbrake doesn't really seem that much better :(.

For stopping the wheel turning whilst applying wheel nut torque perfect!

For holding back over 4 tons on a moderate slope...useless!

Now, they test these days on a roller set up...so is it possible that I will get the required reading on their machine from the handbrake ability to stop the wheel revolving?

Just wondering how the equipment measures it's efficiency.

Cheers Dave

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We had a lot of Sprinters of this vintage in the Scottish Ambulance Service & on the day of the MOT the handbrake worked, well sort of worked, but by the following day the handbrake was useless! Attending incidents where we needed to keep the engine running for the blue lights etc & on hills it was a nightmare.
We're on the lookout for a new motorhome & I'd like it to be Sprinter based, but the handbrake issue's do worry me.

It wasn't so bad to hand my ambulance to the mechanic & say fix it, but I do all of my own maintenance & don't relish the thought of continually crawling around doing brakes.
On a lighter note, we had a 906 Sprinter camper, so it was the the later model & in four years of ownership the handbrake only required greasing of the cable ends etc & the handbrake could easily hold even on the steepest of hills.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's tested in two stages.
Applied slowly to a certain point to check rolling balance then applied fully to check force required.
I believe imbalance can be no more than 17% side to side and efficiency is something like 50%.
Something to do with roller force required vs percentage of axle weight I believe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thanks for the replies @pappajohn and @ambulancekidd.

I've adjusted it correctly and used all Mercedes parts. It stops the wheel turning when I was applying 200nm to the wheel bolt carrier (in the pic below). It seems effective enough at stopping the wheel turning, but it's a small drum, had bigger on a Moggy 1000 years ago, and it can't hold back the weight of the vehicle.

It's a bit like the rudder on the Titanic not being big enough to turn away from the iceberg!

I'm hoping that the way the rolling road tester works just reads the efficiency of the ability to retard the wheel and doesn't correlate it to the weight of the vehicle.

IMG_5530.jpg

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
' We're on the lookout for a new motorhome & I'd like it to be Sprinter based, but the handbrake issue's do worry me '

Get a 616 CDi - the handbrake is 'air' operated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
' We're on the lookout for a new motorhome & I'd like it to be Sprinter based, but the handbrake issue's do worry me '

Get a 616 CDi - the handbrake is 'air' operated.
Oh yeah! And if you are new to them, wait a bit after starting before releasing the handbrake if you've been sitting for a while! You may not have bogged in after all......:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back