Pilote P740GJ - Anyone have one or similar? (2 Viewers)

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Hi Andrew, we dont like to travel with full waterbecause the frontend is certainly lighter, however, we dont have a lot in the garage. ....... couple of zero gravity chairs, Millenco ramps, ehu cable, hosereel with about 50 feet of hose and the heaviest item is the Tyron band tool. I have a couple of small toolboxes under front passenger seat with a small amount of tools and spare screws etc, and under the drivers seatI carry tyre inflator and hydraulic jack and associated tools for removing a wheel. Like you, I have a second leisure battery, and all reading matter including the manuals for everything on board (which is quite weighty) is above our heads. We very rarely carry grey water, and if we do it certainly isnt whilst driving down motorways. I cannot for the life of me follow the reason that the designers choose to put the grey and freshwater tanks where they are. Even if the fuel tank is full, it is a struggle to get up to anything near the max weight on front axle. Having got a couple of folding electric bikes, unless I uprate, then these cannot be taken.
When you took off your bumpstops, did they slacken quite easily?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew, we dont like to travel with full waterbecause the frontend is certainly lighter, however, we dont have a lot in the garage. ....... couple of zero gravity chairs, Millenco ramps, ehu cable, hosereel with about 50 feet of hose and the heaviest item is the Tyron band tool. I have a couple of small toolboxes under front passenger seat with a small amount of tools and spare screws etc, and under the drivers seatI carry tyre inflator and hydraulic jack and associated tools for removing a wheel. Like you, I have a second leisure battery, and all reading matter including the manuals for everything on board (which is quite weighty) is above our heads. We very rarely carry grey water, and if we do it certainly isnt whilst driving down motorways. I cannot for the life of me follow the reason that the designers choose to put the grey and freshwater tanks where they are. Even if the fuel tank is full, it is a struggle to get up to anything near the max weight on front axle. Having got a couple of folding electric bikes, unless I uprate, then these cannot be taken.
When you took off your bumpstops, did they slacken quite easily?

You guys are running quite light too. The water is always going to reduce payload on our type of van but once you add the air suspension then you will feel a huge difference(y)

The bump stops (aka Aeon Springs which form part of the suspension) are easy to take off. If you use some grippy gloves then you'll simply twist from side to side and off they come. The supporting plate that retains the bump stops cannot be unscrewed by hand so you will have to get a chisel and hammer and insert the chisel into one of the grooves before hitting it ant-clockwise. It won't take much and then you can unscrew the rest by hand.

When you get your kit then make sure you don't remove the white PHTE tape which comes with the bellow valves. Some people remove it by accident and then wonder why they have an air leak from the top of the bellow:D

The addition of the semi-air system will certainly help counter a heavy rear end but do try if you can to put more weight on the front as you want to avoid light steering issues.

My axle ratio is 1,620kg to 1,900kg and with semi-air fitted it rides really well now but, I've got to admit, that upping my rear axle to 2,240kg would potentially unbalance things a bit. Once you have fitted your kit then it may be a good idea to run your suspension at 3-bar pressure and then adjust it thereafter. I think you will need 3-bar minimum with a 2.24T loaded axle.

I think you've got it cracked:cool:

Best Wishes, and good luck(y)

Andrew

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Thanks for your info Andrew, just to update, have now completed the uprating. I found the easiest be way was to remove the rear wheels, one side at a time and fitted everything without having to get under the van. So much easier, especially as I don't like working upside down underneath vehicles any more. Van now sits in such a way that you can slide your hand between the top of the tyre and the side of the van, whereas before the top of the tyre was hidden behind the side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I won't lie to you Dave, it was quite fiddly at times. The procedure itself is OK but the fact that you are scrunched up on the floor is a bit of a pain. The Pilote has great ground clearance but it's still not lavish for this type of job. The same goes for the plumbing of the twin lines as they need some thought and again you need to be scrunched with your gear immediately at hand.

Once you pull the bumper stop off and then dislodge the bumper stop housing with a mini sledge hammer and chisel then you're away. You then need to move the handbrake cable and then add the bellows before finishing off with the securing bolts. Here are a few pics I took:

View attachment 230692

View attachment 230694

View attachment 230695

View attachment 230696

View attachment 230697

View attachment 230698

View attachment 230699

Hi Andrew.
Could you confirm which kit you purchased, I can’t seem to find the ebay link, also did you buy the kit which came with the compressor? Just considering options after my little accident!
Cheers
Dave

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew.
Could you confirm which kit you purchased, I can’t seem to find the ebay link, also did you buy the kit which came with the compressor? Just considering options after my little accident!
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, this is the original link as supplied by John @Neckender. We both chose the VB kit.

It has been reduced from £355 (the original amount which we both paid), down to £279 delivered which is a cracking price.

This particular link is for the manual version of the kit (no compressor) buy you can add it in the checkout if you wish.

Personally speaking I am really happy with the standard kit but I can see the benefits of having a compressor at hand should you want to adjust it instantaneously for ferries or for off road scenarios etc. That said, if you do add the compressor with the intention of adjusting the suspension on the move then IMO you really need to position the pressure guages in direct sight of the driver.

Also, the VB kit weighs 7.5kg, fitted, and the equivalent Dunlop kit is 12kg but I think it has a much heavier base plate.

All the best,

Andrew

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Dave, this is the original link as supplied by John @Neckender. We both chose the VB kit.

It has been reduced from £355 (the original amount which we both paid), down to £279 delivered which is a cracking price.

This particular link is for the manual version of the kit (no compressor) buy you can add it in the checkout if you wish.

Personally speaking I am really happy with the standard kit but I can see the benefits of having a compressor at hand should you want to adjust it instantaneously for ferries or for off road scenarios etc. That said, if you do add the compressor with the intention of adjusting the suspension on the move then IMO you really need to position the pressure guages in direct sight of the driver.

Also, the VB kit weighs 7.5kg, fitted, and the equivalent Dunlop kit is 12kg but I think it has a much heavier base plate.

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that’s a great help

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks for your info Andrew, just to update, have now completed the uprating. I found the easiest be way was to remove the rear wheels, one side at a time and fitted everything without having to get under the van. So much easier, especially as I don't like working upside down underneath vehicles any more. Van now sits in such a way that you can slide your hand between the top of the tyre and the side of the van, whereas before the top of the tyre was hidden behind the side.

That's great news - well done sir(y)

Following on from this weekend and more testing, I have decided to increase the pressure to 3bar (rear axle @ 1900kg) and what a fantastic difference over my previous 2.5bar setting.

If you are intending to run your rear axle at circa 2.2T then by my reckoning you would be best placed to try 3.5bar on your first run out and adjust upwards/down thereafter.

Good luck with the testing(y)

All the best,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight have you had your headlamp alignment checked since fitting your VB kit, I keep forgetting to get mine checked.

John.

I've not checked John but I'm assuming that the converter or Fiat is unlikely to change the standard light angles for a MoHo.

If anything (and I'm guessing here) the addition of semi air and the raising of the chassis (21mm in my case) will only help the vehicle run close to its factory unladen height, within reason. I can also use the adjustable load switches for the front lights if need be.

I'll check in November when it's dark again:D

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

Has anyone seen a price list yet for a MY19 P740GJ Sensation.

............or did anyone get a price from the NEC.

TIA,

Andrew

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All, we are thinking of buying a 10 year old Pilote Explorateur 730 FG, does anyone have one or got any advice for me? I would much appreciate it before I part with my hard earned cash.
Cheers.
Mike.

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Hi Andrew/All

On this thread you have the pictures of the waste tank drainage you altered. In the photo's you kindly posted, is the white disc shown the old drainage point please and did you change the drainage to the side of the tank? My 2018 Pilote P740C Sensation is sited at the bottom of the tank which is a nuisance as you can't put a water carrier underneath!!! If you changed from the base to side of tank what problems (if any) did you encounter please?

Also in this thread I've read about MY17/MY18 & MY19 vans but where or how can one be certain which variety one has please?

Very many thanks for all replies/help given. Take care all

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew/All

On this thread you have the pictures of the waste tank drainage you altered. In the photo's you kindly posted, is the white disc shown the old drainage point please and did you change the drainage to the side of the tank? My 2018 Pilote P740C Sensation is sited at the bottom of the tank which is a nuisance as you can't put a water carrier underneath!!! If you changed from the base to side of tank what problems (if any) did you encounter please?

Also in this thread I've read about MY17/MY18 & MY19 vans but where or how can one be certain which variety one has please?

Very many thanks for all replies/help given. Take care all

Yes, my drain point was central to the tank and vehicle (a PITA as you mention) but the white disc was already in situ.

This is how the van was (pics below) in its original guise and how the exit water point is when you remove the black cover - you can see a screw attachment but I never removed it.

Reference your final point, do you know when the van was built. If it was delivered in Q4 of a particular year then it's most likely the van spec for the following year.

All the best,

Andrew

Screenshot_20211004-190451_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-190507_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-190517_Photos.jpg

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Yes, my drain point was central to the tank and vehicle (a PITA as you mention) but the white disc was already in situ.

This is how the van was (pics below) in its original guise and how the exit water point is when you remove the black cover - you can see a screw attachment but I never removed it.

Reference your final point, do you know when the van was built. If it was delivered in Q4 of a particular year then it's most likely the van spec for the following year.

All the best,

Andrew

View attachment 544744
View attachment 544743
View attachment 544742

Thanks for quick reply Andrew

The photo looks like the fresh tank (picture above taken from rear of back wheels looking forward of fresh tank?) Sorry for confusion I was on about the waste tank alterations you did which is parallel roughly with the hab door. Photo's #121 & #122 dated 17th & 18th Dec 2017.

Have no idea when the van was built other than registered March 2018 but wondering if "hanging around" 2017 but registered following year!!?

Are there any markings anywhere that would confirm details do you know please?

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
I moved the waste output on my P650GJ so it’s easier to get to a waste point.
I have trimmed the outlet back a little so the bend is actually flush with the body.

Attachments

• 8448A583-5BFF-406E-8545-38016F557CA8.jpeg
    8448A583-5BFF-406E-8545-38016F557CA8.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 28
  • C1DFD7FF-77D4-4E0C-BA07-51BC78E63A51.jpeg
    C1DFD7FF-77D4-4E0C-BA07-51BC78E63A51.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 29
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
I moved the waste output on my P650GJ so it’s easier to get to a waste point.
I have trimmed the outlet back a little so the bend is actually flush with the body.
Thanks for suggestion 10. We had the Pilote agent do very similar to what you did (at silly money as he used A/T kit!!) but found it kept "grounding out" over slightest bump so removed before ripped drainage point out of tank, so I think to move drainage point to side of waste tank as in Andrew's case would be far better/safer!! Why on earth put them in such a stupid place, if you are at same destination for a few days you don't want to be moving to empty!!?
Take care

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I used 32mm on mine (screwfix)

Feb 18, 2022
East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 696U
Exp
Used to drive a bongo and tow caravans
With the Missus on a day off, I made the fatal mistake at lunchtime of looking at a few mh dealers online. We have just finished :)

Over the course of 9 hours we have gone from being fairly certain about buying a Hymer A-class with a u-shaped lounge, to loving a 7.5m low profile with the big twin-type bed at the back.

This is the van for anyone interested:

View attachment 177823 View attachment 177824 View attachment 177825 View attachment 177826

We had a Pilote A-Class about 10 years ago and loved it once at a destination (it was a death trap to drive lol), in fact we've both missed it since then.

But I know nothing about the newer ones.

Does anyone have a fairly new Pilote? Any issues?

Of course we'll be doing the usual view and test before making any decisions, but always good to hear others opinions :)

Cheers, David
Hi bought a brand new 696U. Only minor issues
Shower screen loose screws.
Sliding door handles fell out.
Sliding door magnetic catches fell off.
Screws coming out of drop down bed guide rails.
Reversing camera US replaced under warranty.
Other than these faults all ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back