Free Member
Jul 22, 2017
HORNCHURCH, ESSEX
Funster No
MH
COACH BUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a Roller Team T590 purchased new last year based on a Fiat Dicato 2.3 litre Euro 6 engine (manual). Ever since new the engine will cut out, intermitently, so that there is no acceleration. The engine goes into idle mode (800 revs/m). If I put my foot on the accelerator pedal, the revs do not rise. This idle mode can last anything from 10 seconds to a minute, after which the power returns. I returned the van to a main dealership in East London where on the second visit they said they had cured the fault telling me it was a faulty hill start switch. The problem remained and I now have taken the van to a Fiat dealership in Kent where they cannot identify the fault. The engine went into idle mode about 7 times on a short 15 mile joirney a couple of weeks back. As stated above, the fault is intermitent but seems to occur mostly when breaking or de-accelerating especially on hills. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appretiated.

John (TREES MOVING)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At first guess....
Intermittent Throttle pedal position sensor or associated wiring fault.

But it should throw a fault code in the OBD memory.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Buy yourself an OBD2 reader & keep it plugged in whilst you drive, it'll give you the fault code when the intermittent fault occurs. The type that I think might suit you best is the permanent plug in one that uses your smart phone.

It is odd that the vehicle isn't storing the fault code

Something like this below.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
dont know about the 2.3 engine but had a similar problem with my 2.2 relay, started with hesitation on accelerating and eventually cutting out but would always restart, gradualy got worse and had egr valve changed as had a code for it but still had problem which turned out to be the fuel pressure relief valve, my mechanic was running it and checking various perameters and noticed fuel pressure was fluctuating when just ticking over so new valve and all good once again

OP
OP
T

TREES MOVING

Free Member
Jul 22, 2017
HORNCHURCH, ESSEX
Funster No
MH
COACH BUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Thank you for your replies. I have found out what causing the engine to go into idle mode. If you put your foot on both the accelerator and brake pedals, the engine goes into idle mode for about 10 seconds if no pedals are touched. This happens with the faintest of touched. This is meant to happen and that is why a fault was not showing up. This in my opinion is potentially very dangerous and I need to know why FIAT thought that this was a good idea. I wanted this to be disengaged but the Dealer said this was impossible. I would welcome your comments.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of that before but I agree it could be potentially dangerous although left foot braking isn't something you would normally need to do in a van unless it was a full auto.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Thank you for your replies. I have found out what causing the engine to go into idle mode. If you put your foot on both the accelerator and brake pedals, the engine goes into idle mode for about 10 seconds if no pedals are touched. This happens with the faintest of touched. This is meant to happen and that is why a fault was not showing up. This in my opinion is potentially very dangerous and I need to know why FIAT thought that this was a good idea. I wanted this to be disengaged but the Dealer said this was impossible. I would welcome your comments.
This is quite normal on modern vehicles

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm trying to understand the circumstances under which you would have a foot or feet on both pedals at once? Other than an expert user with an autobox doing it of course.

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Most vehicles built since about 2000 (fly by wire/canbus) do the same, likewise with the handbrake, it's a fail-safe in case your accelerator gets stuck or goes faulty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Must admit can't understand why you would want to do it with a manual. I used to left foot brake in Automatic cars, but in the Ducato (Comformatic box) the peddle is so far over it's not practicle.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Perhaps the OP is a race/rally driver from turbo lag days:p

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
which normally means it needs the brake light switch adjusted or replaced. Had it happen on my last car

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most vehicles built since about 2000 (fly by wire/canbus) do the same, likewise with the handbrake, it's a fail-safe in case your accelerator gets stuck or goes faulty.
If that's the case why did two separate main dealers not mention this.
Can't say I've notice on my 2015 Hyundai as my left foot braking days are a long distant memory of my youth.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If that's the case why did two separate main dealers not mention this.
Can't say I've notice on my 2015 Hyundai as my left foot braking days are a long distant memory of my youth.
Coz they know naff all about it probably? What’s new.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Found this out when bedding new brakes in for mot- kept foot on throttle and gently braking- engine cut out, Kia Sedona 3.0cdti 2006

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You might want to dry the brakes out after going through a flood.

Although probably more relevant to drum brakes rather than the more common disc brakes on modern vehicles.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So has this explanation sorted out the OP's problem? From the way he was describing it there was an awful lot of left foot braking or is it still a matter of sensor switch adjustment?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So has this explanation sorted out the OP's problem? From the way he was describing it there was an awful lot of left foot braking or is it still a matter of sensor switch adjustment?
Change of footwear might help :D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back