Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hello all

Having just come back from 3 weeks in France/Italy/Germany in our 'inaugural' trip with our (new to us) motorhome we are considering a month in South Portugal in Dec/Jan to get some winter sun.

I'd really appreciate any advice from those who have done it.

As I see it the options are...

Santander or Bilbao ferry then drive down through Spain and Portugal. Less road miles and nights travelling but dearer ferry charges.

St Malo and travel through France. This might take longer and probably at least 50% of the month travelling there and back. But cheaper on ferries but added miles and overnights

Fly out and rent an apartment.

Is a month too short a time to consider such a trip?

Any thoughts?

I think I have boobed and posted in the wrong section....admin, please move Thanks

Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your title says you want a guide to show you around. If you are just after advice I suggest start a new thread either in motorhome chat or European travel.
And southern Portugal is a long way to go for a month and you could have rain when you get there. The Murcia area of Spain give or take a few hundred miles is the best place for a chance of seeing the sun. If you are happy with the cost take the long ferry to Spain but pack the Kwells. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Cost of overnights in France may not be a lot as most sites are closed in the winter. Its too far for a month. We are planning on 3 months but will be heading for Murcia at least until things elsewhere are warming up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@DBK is correct! Forget Portugal in Dec/Jan. With it's proximity to the Atlantic Ocean you can more or less guarantee it's going to be wet and cold. The Murcia region of Spain is the driest part of Spain this time of the year with temperatures at least as good as Portugal, if not better. (having said that, nothing is guaranteed but as a rule of thumb Spain is always better this time of the year).
With the amount of information freely available on the Internet, guides are pretty much redundant in my opinion. There will be plenty of like minded folk to talk too as a shed load of snowbirds from the Uk, Holland, France and Germany will be in the area and generally they are willing and helpful people.
You will build up experience as you do more, so be bold, get out there and enjoy yourself. Here is some information that will help you make a solid start. Safe travels.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Your title says you want a guide to show you around. If you are just after advice I suggest start a new thread either in motorhome chat or European travel.
And southern Portugal is a long way to go for a month and you could have rain when you get there. The Murcia area of Spain give or take a few hundred miles is the best place for a chance of seeing the sun. If you are happy with the cost take the long ferry to Spain but pack the Kwells. :)

I wouldn't be quite so harsh about the ferry to Bilbao or Santander. Some of us have sea-legs, you know :) Anyway, it's not always rough. It's the luck of the draw with the Bay of Biscay: it can be as calm as a mill pond sometimes and in autumn you would likely stand most chance of it being a bit lively.

The best plus point for me is that it delivers you directly into Spain. Still being employed, the longest holiday I can wangle is four weeks (and that takes some doing), so I don't want to waste any time getting through France. So, boarding a ferry in Portsmouth on a Sunday and arriving in Spain on Monday suits fine. And there's a chance to relax on the ferry: the cabins are good; I like the French food and French staff (some others opinions differ on these points!).

For our winter trips to Spain and Portugal we are not chasing high temperatures, though. We tend to do about 3,000 miles in four weeks to take in as many places as possible. And we do everything from high mountains to beaches so, on the last trip the temperatures for us varied between -20 and 24 degrees C.

At that time of year, the weather is obviously a bit more unpredictable, but the chances are you will likely see plenty of sun and, if south and not at altitude, will be nicely warm if not hot.

Remember, though, that the daylight hours are short in winter, and the temperature will drop substantially when the sun goes down at that time of year.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Some truly valuable advice from you all. Many, many thanks for that. Seems Murcia is the best option. I'll investigate some sites that we could stay at for 2 - 3 weeks

I have done the ferry a couple of times but not in winter. Every trip has been calm but we are OK in a swell!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Camperstop Sierra Espuna in Totana is the best place locally
Close to the National Park

Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
There is also a very good camperstop at the Anibal Garage at Aguilas. Easy cycle ride into town and lots of lovely clifftop walks nearby.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Jim my sweetie pie ... would you mind please altering the title to remove the reference to a tour guide and stick it in one of the more appropriate forum sections that way the OP might get more responses.

He seems to be going to Spain now rather than Portugal! :D

Ta
:lips:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you are looking to use a campsite in Murcia then you will need to book especially if you would like to be on the coast, and there are not many sites to choose from. We will be on the infamous La Manga Caravanning from October 1 until the end of March and that does get full after Christmas as do the others in the region.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
OK, sorry to drag this up again! After taking your advice it's going to be Spain. Portsmouth to Santander at the end of December and back end of January. Gives us about 5 weeks away including travelling.

I plan to take my motorcycle on its trailer so we have some transport over there.

After a lot of searching we fancy this place as being a balance between costs, facilities, location and review scores. I have asked them if they have spaces so am awaiting a reply before booking the ferries.

http://mediterraneocamper.com/en/

.......unless you know better!!!:cautious:

Thanks again for your input

David

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OK, sorry to drag this up again! After taking your advice it's going to be Spain. Portsmouth to Santander at the end of December and back end of January. Gives us about 5 weeks away including travelling.

I plan to take my motorcycle on its trailer so we have some transport over there.

After a lot of searching we fancy this place as being a balance between costs, facilities, location and review scores. I have asked them if they have spaces so am awaiting a reply before booking the ferries.

http://mediterraneocamper.com/en/

.......unless you know better!!!:cautious:

Thanks again for your input

David
Mega popular though heaven knows why, so you will need to book and already likely too late. There are 2 new camper parks nearby that although more expensive are far superior.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We do this each year, travel via Portsmouth to Santander usually mid December and then back 1st week of Jan. Never booked as we always look for quiet places with fewer people (we stay away from the coast sites as far too busy for us). We have never not found anywhere to stay and being around 12 metres with the car trailer we are a larger than normal unit :). We usually head to Portugal first for a week or so then follow the weather which last year took us from Portugal to Nijar/Cartagena/cabo de gato region (i think thats is correct), but we never plan we just look at the weather and decide from there.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks for that

Do you mean Sol de Boreal, Austral, Paraiso?
The first 2, I liked Camping Sol de Calpe Austral, closest to town, some lovely large pitches if somewhat stark. The pool was great but not something you will be looking at.:D2

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Sol de Calpe Austral
IMG_1587.JPG