Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
We have a Huawei mifi, with external antenna, and now need some info about which data sim to grab please?

We are heading to France for a break, and fancy trying the mifi, rather than tethering my work iPhone!

I don't think we are heavy data users, FB to follow what the kids and grandkids are up to, Whatsapp for bits n bobs, and browsing here etc.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
3 data SIM is the best buy usually around £25 for 12 gig. Only gives 3g when roaming not 4g. I find they work fine in France, Germany & Italy but have noticed can be a bit slow at times in Spain.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think the best price for a 3 data sim is more like £27 for 12 Gb now.
I found a 24 GB for £45 on Amazon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
As long as you are not looking to stream TV/Radio, then I don't think you can beat Three. Otherwise you'd probably be better off buying a local SIM.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Andy,
A few practical pointers from my own experience...
(a) make a note somewhere of the actual number of the sim, or better still, when you receive it, it will be in a plastic credit card size holder that you click the sim out of. There will be two numbers on it, the Sim number and the Three number these are important if you want to contact Three so take the plastic card with you.
(b) Make sure you press out the correct size of Sim as (I think) they are all pre perforated and if you don't get the correct size, it can be a pig to fit in the Mifi.
(c) Make sure it is set up for Roaming.
(d) Before you leave, download the My Three and the Huawei mifi apps to one of the devices you will be using. You can use these to access the Settings you may require.
(e) Three, because they have to use third party providers will always use the slowest/cheapest and probably 3g. You can access and search for the available providers using the Huawei app.
(f) If you get stuck try and get to the My 3 site and eventually a little popup will appear at the side with an invite to "Live Chat". I used this recently when in Spain to sort out a problem.
(g) Lastly and I'll say this not being 100% sure but I think that if you can still access the Three website VIA the MIFI even if you cannot get online. I stand ready to be corrected on this point!
Good luck and with most modern technology, have a play with it before you actually need it.
Apologies if I am trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs!(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I think 3 have lost it these days when it comes to roaming, too many caps and restrictions. They used to be the best, but no more, for longer term use.
Vodafone is now the best imho. No caps no throttling and no limits within your package and all 4G on their own European networks, no piggybacking. Been using my full 60GB allowance on the continent since September, tethering and streaming, the lot.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
3 data SIM is the best buy usually around £25 for 12 gig. Only gives 3g when roaming not 4g. I find they work fine in France, Germany & Italy but have noticed can be a bit slow at times in Spain.

They cap roaming at 9gig but you can use the rest in the uk...

I think 3 have lost it these days when it comes to roaming, too many caps and restrictions. They used to be the best, but no more, for longer term use.
Vodafone is now the best imho. No caps no throttling and no limits within your package and all 4G on their own European networks, no piggybacking. Been using my full 60GB allowance on the continent since September, tethering and streaming, the lot.

Agree here, I’ve got the monthly contract of 50 gig for £27 (heavy user) cancel anytime and then just rejoin when we go away and much faster then 3.....

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Thank you for your notes, all useful and news to me!

Andy,
A few practical pointers from my own experience...
(a) make a note somewhere of the actual number of the sim, or better still, when you receive it, it will be in a plastic credit card size holder that you click the sim out of. There will be two numbers on it, the Sim number and the Three number these are important if you want to contact Three so take the plastic card with you.
(b) Make sure you press out the correct size of Sim as (I think) they are all pre perforated and if you don't get the correct size, it can be a pig to fit in the Mifi.
(c) Make sure it is set up for Roaming.
(d) Before you leave, download the My Three and the Huawei mifi apps to one of the devices you will be using. You can use these to access the Settings you may require.
(e) Three, because they have to use third party providers will always use the slowest/cheapest and probably 3g. You can access and search for the available providers using the Huawei app.
(f) If you get stuck try and get to the My 3 site and eventually a little popup will appear at the side with an invite to "Live Chat". I used this recently when in Spain to sort out a problem.
(g) Lastly and I'll say this not being 100% sure but I think that if you can still access the Three website VIA the MIFI even if you cannot get online. I stand ready to be corrected on this point!
Good luck and with most modern technology, have a play with it before you actually need it.
Apologies if I am trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs!(y)

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
I will give it a go with the Three data card that is on its way, and if we need to keep using them, we will have a look at Vodaphone as well.

Thanks for the pointers.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I’ve just got my PAC code from Three, am about to switch to Vodafone, thanks for the info, as it answers all of my questions!
Mobiles.co.uk are offering 20gb/month for £12.00 (after cash back).
Worth the little bit of hassle for such a good deal(y)

D4DE29C4-A7A4-4B5C-B2B1-28E95B0CF4AE.png

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

It used to be on their website under each different country listing. Unfortunately they removed it sometime ago. So I think it is now a case of phoning and asking or manually trying the different ones that pop up.

This website does give a list of partners though it may have changed since it was created as it is showing as page last updated sept 2016

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/three-feel-at-home-use-abroad.html

Here's another which may be a bit more up to date

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/threes-feel-at-home

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

What Vodafone package are you using please? We've been using 3 but agree that it's not great when roaming. 60GB sounds like the capacity we'd need for streaming radio 4 when in France and Spain.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Office de tourisme generally have good free wifi which can be useful when 3 response times are not too good. I appreciate it's not as convenient as having wifi in your own van.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been using my iPhone with a Vodafone sim for our last couple of trips to France.
Far,far better than our mi-fi with a 3 sim which we have been using for the last 3-4 years.
As others have said, Vodafone is fast, 4G just about everywhere, even up in the hills. I can tether to iPads And laptop and at £20 per month for 16gig not bad value.

Richard.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just to second downloading the HUAWEI app, in Spain I have found that 3 seem to prefer one network and auto seeks it, depending where you are there may not be a signal. The app allows you to see the other providers and select one, it could also be the case in France.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Just to second downloading the HUAWEI app, in Spain I have found that 3 seem to prefer one network and auto seeks it, depending where you are there may not be a signal. The app allows you to see the other providers and select one, it could also be the case in France.

Definitely in France, it's what we do with both the mifi and our phones. Not so much an issue with the mifi for some reason but definitely better to manually select a network with the phone.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Looking at Vodafone website at data sims, the price is the same whether you sign up for 12 months or go for the 30 days rolling contract. Strange there is no reduction if you commit to 12 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back