Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all,

The door mechanism on our 2007 Arto has the habit of locking itself. At first it was doing that infrequently - but now it is happening a lot.

When you pull the handle to open the door it seems to also be pulling on the lock mechanism slightly. I can see that just by pulling on the handle with the door open and watching what the lock catch is doing on the inside. After three or four pulls on the handle, the lock catch drops and the door is locked.

Also when you turn the key to unlock the door you need to return the key to the central neutral position before you take it out. If you make that return move of the key too quickly then the door locks itself again before you have even opened it - even though you have only moved the key from the unlock position to the neutral position.

I have heard that this can happen due to some wear on the lock mechanism. Just wondered if anyone has had similar experiences and any ideas about causes and cure?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Andy Bram

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Wear is the most likely problem but adjustment can play a big part too. Don't know your particular van but if you can ease off the interior panel (maybe lots of tiny screws around the edges) you may be able to get a clearer idea of what's going on. Maybe a squirt of WD40 might help?
In my case the whole locking mechanism had become detached from the door frame (only bonded on) and it was hit and miss whether the lock "threw" or not.
I've also just had to adjust the striker plates as the door wasn't closing sufficiently for the locks to engage - although that doesn't seem likely in your case - just saying.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We had a caravan many moons ago that used to do this & it took renewal of the whole mechanism to repair it. Not difficult to do but when buying its important to note which handing the door has (opens to left or right).

In the short term we got a "Keep a key" which is a small magnetic box which you secret about the chassis. See below for guidance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our hab door occasionally locks itself when you shut it. I’ve had the lock apart but couldn’t see anything worn or loose
Simplest solution for me is to always carry a spare hab door key.
In fact, we had another key cut so Mrs A always has one too.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Occasionally does the same on my Frankia. So I’ve hidden a spare key in case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back