Water pump (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
Just ( 3 weeks ago) taken delivery of new Adria compact. It has a submersible pump in the water tank and a whale pressure switch just outside the tank.
Two issues:
The pump only works intermittently one minute it work , the next it doesn’t. Can’t see any rhyme or reason.
The pump output is weak when working, not enough to properly flush the toilet let alone shower.
The dealer thought he had rectified the first problem last week but it is still happening. The power to the pump vvia pressure seitch appears to go through dc to dc converter
12-15 v to 10.5v.
Anybody had similar problem with submersible pump? ( I’venever had such a pump before)
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I have read that it is a bit of an art form to get the pressure switch set up right. Do a search on here for some tips.
Never heard of a voltage dropper. Lift the pump out and see if it has voltage rating.
I found that reversing the wires attached to the pump dramatically improved the flow.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I have read that it is a bit of an art form to get the pressure switch set up right. Do a search on here for some tips.
Never heard of a voltage dropper. Lift the pump out and see if it has voltage rating.
I found that reversing the wires attached to the pump dramatically improved the flow.

are you referring to the submersible pump as regards reversing the wires?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
yeh, wherever the 2 wires from the pump are connected - try switching them around.
it worked for me when i had to change the pump.
connected colour to colour and the pump worked but not much pressure. later switched the wires (suggested on here) and 'hay presto' good pressure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can't see why the pump voltage needs dropping to 10.5v.
Converters are tightfisted.....why fit a pump AND dropper transformer when a 12v pump would be cheaper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Converters are tightfisted.....why fit a pump AND dropper transformer when a 12v pump would be cheaper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As Berni says, setting the pressure switch can be a pain, when I had one of these setups, the pressure switch needed to be adjusted every time I connected my EHU then again when using the batteries.
I solved that problem by installing a Whale surge damper, but it sounds like your pump is faulty or wired incorrectly. Try swapping the wires over as above.
A proper Whale high flow pump ( which is what you should have fitted with a Whale pressure switch) is 12v DC.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
First check as suggested is pump voltage rating - it will be 12v. You then need to find out why there's a dropper. A 12v pump fed with 10.5v will never be satisfactory so if you're not mistaken there's a wiring error. The suggestion about pump reversal is also valid - most pumps I've seen have blue / brown wire and often brown is mistaken for +ve. In fact in a DC circuit it's invariably -ve. So blue is positive.

OP
OP
Bradders65
Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
Thank for all your responses. Took it back to the dealer with a snagging list. They fixed the pump. No voltage dropper so better pressure and a surge damper put in line. All other matters (bar one piece of documentation)dealt with too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back