Hook up or not to Hook up (1 Viewer)

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Am I right in thinking that as I live in Spain so have a reasonable amount of sunshine to keep the solar panel busy, when MH standing idle between trips away, the batteries will be adequately topped up by the solar panel, therefore no need to be hooked up except for possibly the night before we set off again so as to get the fridge cold?
Secondly if I turn off all the electrics via the Battery Circuit Breaker does this affect the batteries being charged by the solar panel?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
1, if your solar charger/battery bank is connected to your starter battery it should get charged up fine.

2, yes I would think so unless the battery isolator is after the solar connection to the battery bank.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depends whether your solar panels charge both hab and engine batteries.. ?

The battery isolator switch will normally isolate the batteries from everything, so they won't charge from solar .. but that also depends on how the solar was installed, it may go direct to the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You should be fine and no need to plug in the night before you leave but I'm unsure what effect your battery circuit breaker will have. My suggestion would be turn it off for a few days then measure the battery voltage at the terminals. Then, assuming it's a sunny day, close the circuit breaker and see if the voltage jumps up. If it does this suggests opening the circuit breaker isolates them from the solar charger.
Hopefully it won't! But I think you should have some sort of meter showing battery voltage and if it reads something around 13.8 volts when the sun has been shining for a while this would indicate the charger is working.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back