LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Yes ok for your van, just drop the speed and use your gearbox on the way down!!
We were there a few weeks ago, what a stunning place.
A few years ago we did cook the brakes,but well worth the trip.

Reactions: JJ
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Douro valley is quite long and the roads are narrow and twisty at times. We were there last Autumn and stayed at Peso da Regua. There is a nice Aire there with electrics water and drain all for 3€ per night and lovely views over the river. The easiest way to get there is via the A4 then the A24.

The town is nice with plenty of places to eat as well as supermarkets. You can catch river boats up and down the river. We would recommend going up the river by train with a return trip to Pochino, which is as far as the train goes. The tracks hug the river for most of the way and you get great views of the river as well as the port wine vineyards. Its only about 11€ return.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
The Douro valley is quite long and the roads are narrow and twisty at times. We were there last Autumn and stayed at Peso da Regua. There is a nice Aire there with electrics water and drain all for 3€ per night and lovely views over the river. The easiest way to get there is via the A4 then the A24.

The town is nice with plenty of places to eat as well as supermarkets. You can catch river boats up and down the river. We would recommend going up the river by train with a return trip to Pochino, which is as far as the train goes. The tracks hug the river for most of the way and you get great views of the river as well as the port wine vineyards. Its only about 11€ return.

Yes we were there a few weeks ago and the train journey either way ,is well worth it, and the "new" Aires is among the best!
The old Aires up the town is closed but still seems to be listed on some sites -just might save someone a trek round town.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Great area to visit.
Some of the riverside roads I found a bit twisty and with tankers coming around corners partly on my side of the road.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We are planning going up the valley from Porto in the next few days.

We would like to follow the river.

Are we better going on the north 108 road or the south 222.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.
( In a 4 ton 7.5 metre )

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am not sure I would want to do either. The maps I have got show them to be very twisty so we did not try them. Instead we went up the A4 to Vila Real then down the A24 to Peso da Regua, which where we stayed. We could have cut across on the N101 instead but we didn't.

Once in Peso da Regua, which has a very good Aire, we took the train upstream from there to explore the valley. We could have taken the train downstream as well and there are boats in both directions. I would rather use those forms of getting up and down the river without the stress of the vary narrow twisty roads we could see from the train.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We are planning going up the valley from Porto in the next few days.

We would like to follow the river.

Are we better going on the north 108 road or the south 222.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.
( In a 4 ton 7.5 metre )

Our camper is 7.65 and close to 4T, we cruised all over that area, the length of the Douro and didn't have any issues, and to get the best views you need to meander a little.

Just enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back