Copilot (1 Viewer)

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
@Spanner my Lenovo tab3 (also from Tesco) has in built GPS so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't have Co-pilot so cant not comment on how it operates. Mike

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I already have Copilot Car Navigation Premium, is it worth my while to pay for the Caravan version as well? Has anyone done this?

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I'm currently using it and it's fine.
Discounted to £34.99 on playstore at the moment.

I lowered the cost further by purchasing discounted Google playstore vouchers off eBay (approx £20 for £17).

I assume that you’re using the standard car version as the Caravan / Motorhome version is £49.99 at the moment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it worthwhile buying the caravan version then? The TomTom we've used is the standard one and we've never had any problems with that as far as bridges go.

Well that's if you don't include the 2.8 metre low bridge that left me stranded in a one way system in the middle of Basingstoke. It wasn't really that embarrassing to have to call out the police and have them close the access road so I could drive up it the wrong way to escape :oops:

The only thing in my favour is that the council refuse to put up a low bridge warning sign and the police are called out once a week to sort out people like me!
My CoPilt caravan shows a 8’ 2” bridge under the railway on Bunnion road or similar.

Martin

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I already have Copilot Car Navigation Premium, is it worth my while to pay for the Caravan version as well? Has anyone done this?
I think a dunk in the roof or 20 extra miles detour covers the costs. They do offers at the end of the year (may be worth a search as someone usually flags them up) so perhaps worth waiting. I think it is usually around Christmas.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Is it possible to load Tomtom or similar safety camera/speed camera alerts on Copilot ?

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
I assume that you’re using the standard car version as the Caravan / Motorhome version is £49.99 at the moment

It must have gone back up then. I purchased mine last week with '30% off' at £34.99 for the caravan version.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
It must have gone back up then. I purchased mine last week with '30% off' at £34.99 for the caravan version.

Oh well the price has gone back up to £49.99 now, but on the upside the Lenovo Tab3 with gps has dropped by £10 to £59.95 at John Lewis

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Do you get any camera alerts in France ?
No.
Alerts work in the UK and Spain.
Our Garmin does give camera alerts in France as "Dangerous road section" as camera alerts are illegal. There are lots of temporary speed cameras being used in France that are not on the database. First one you might encounter at the moment is on the A16 at Boulogne as you enter the road works.

Richard.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I have used copilot Caravan for the first time over the past 2 weeks in France. I have had a garmin for about 10yrs which I used as well in parallel -the garmin doesn't do dimensions or weight (we are 3.8k). Found Copilot faster locking on to Gps signal. We turned of the speed camera feature in France (it is illegal to have it on) -wasn't aware that it would have done this automatically as Martin and Richad suggest.
On problem with it (advice please) is that lots of towns have 3.5k limits 'sauf livraison' ie deliveries /access only. The Copilot tries to avoid all ofthese. When an aire is in such a restricted zone (often is) it sends you round the houses trying to avoid it -and of course you just have to ignore it. It then of course gets very upset and tries to send you back out of the zone as quickly as possible. Going from on aire to another within the zone was a nightmare! My worry is that by ignoring it I might try going under a 3m bridge (on my Samsung Note size screen all the alerts look similar).
I have set up different profiles for over 3.5k and under as well as for using or not using tolls depending on how quickly I wanted to go. Sometimes in France with the settings to avoid minor roads it did send you out of your way to avoid a short length of wide D road (marked on the Michelin map as a wide road). I had to manually input a stop in the middle of the D road to get it to reconsider this route as an alternative and it didn't always want to do this either.
Overall however I'm happy with it -a larger screen is my next addition.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I have used copilot Caravan for the first time over the past 2 weeks in France. I have had a garmin for about 10yrs which I used as well in parallel -the garmin doesn't do dimensions or weight (we are 3.8k). Found Copilot faster locking on to Gps signal. We turned of the speed camera feature in France (it is illegal to have it on) -wasn't aware that it would have done this automatically as Martin and Richad suggest.
On problem with it (advice please) is that lots of towns have 3.5k limits 'sauf livraison' ie deliveries /access only. The Copilot tries to avoid all ofthese. When an aire is in such a restricted zone (often is) it sends you round the houses trying to avoid it -and of course you just have to ignore it. It then of course gets very upset and tries to send you back out of the zone as quickly as possible. Going from on aire to another within the zone was a nightmare! My worry is that by ignoring it I might try going under a 3m bridge (on my Samsung Note size screen all the alerts look similar).
I have set up different profiles for over 3.5k and under as well as for using or not using tolls depending on how quickly I wanted to go. Sometimes in France with the settings to avoid minor roads it did send you out of your way to avoid a short length of wide D road (marked on the Michelin map as a wide road). I had to manually input a stop in the middle of the D road to get it to reconsider this route as an alternative and it didn't always want to do this either.
Overall however I'm happy with it -a larger screen is my next addition.

That's very helpful thanks.
So far I've been using a 5" TomTom but I'm now finding the screen size too small.
I don't know what size display is on your Samsung Note, I was about to buy a Lenovo 7" tablet as I think it would be easier to keep in place than a heavier 10" tablet.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
A lot of the 3.5 ton limits are for lorries only, they have a truck symbol on the sign. If no truck symbol they refer to all over 3.5 ton vehicles. The sat-nav's don't know that we aren't a lorry so avoid all 3.5 ton limits, going through Orleans is a particular pain in the butt.
On my Co-Pilot I have set the weight (4.5 tons) and dimensions for our van and also an alternative set up for the same dimensions but weight set at 3.4 tons. That takes away the fear of encountering low bridges. One of the advantages of Co-Pilot is that you can set up multiple vehicle types.
Sounds like you may have done the same.

Richard.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi @Spanner -the Note is 5.5 " so I suspect a 7"would be fine.
Thanks @Clarky - that's really helpful. Will do as you have done. The multiple vehicle options is very useful isn't it and also being able to have Copilot on more than one device.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Hello all,

I’ve just bought a Lenovo tablet to use as a satnav in our 2013 Peugeot Boxer, unfortunately the volume of the tablet isn’t loud enough.
Although there’s a usb socket in the centre glovebox that just seems to be a power supply.
The factory radio has working Bluetooth but no auxiliary input socket.
I can pair the tablet via Bluetooth to the radio but get no sound, has anyone managed to get the spoken directions to play through the van speakers ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bluetooth directions seem to work with a phone but not a tablet. The only solution is to connect the phones socket on the tablet to the Aux input on the radio, it there is one.
Needs ap lsad wth a 3.5mm jack each end.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Copilot. How do you add your current location to favourites?

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Copilot. How do you add your current location to favourites?
Just had a quick go as I've not tried adding the current position to Favourites, only plotted destinations.
I did it by going to Browse Map and finding our home position, then tapping on that position so that a 'flag' shows the road name, click on the arrow for more options, then click on the favourites star symbol.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jim

Somebody beat me to it while I was working it out and doing screen shots:LOL:

Yes you have to go to "browse map" from the main menu,

IMG_1428.PNG

IMG_1429.PNG

IMG_1430.PNG

Yes we are at Peterborough, Busy weekend didn't even get to say hello to you Sorry Jim, did see a few funsters for a catch up though.

Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks. I'll take a look later.. Every sat Nav I've ever owned has a simple function. Within favourites, you click to add a favourite and then choose "current location" That looks to be almost as simple but not as intuitive. Thanks

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks. I'll take a look later.. Every sat Nav I've ever owned has a simple function. Within favourites, you click to add a favourite and then choose "current location" That looks to be almost as simple but not as intuitive. Thanks
I think “intuitive” is what CoPillot lacks. Also I think it works by address/road only so dropping a marker on a field or track doesn’t work, I would be happy to be proved wrong on this limitation.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Bluetooth directions seem to work with a phone but not a tablet. The only solution is to connect the phones socket on the tablet to the Aux input on the radio, it there is one.
Needs ap lsad wth a 3.5mm jack each end.
Not sure but the soundabout app may help with that. It looks like it will route audio to Bluetooth.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That looks to be almost as simple but not as intuitive. Thanks

There seems to a big change in the user interface recently, naturally I preferred to old one.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
so dropping a marker on a field or track doesn’t work,

I drop a marker in Map mode. Sometimes I know where I need to be but can't name it so i chose pick a point on a map. Drop your marker and get direction s to it from your current location.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Hello all,

I’ve just bought a Lenovo tablet to use as a satnav in our 2013 Peugeot Boxer, unfortunately the volume of the tablet isn’t loud enough.
Although there’s a usb socket in the centre glovebox that just seems to be a power supply.
The factory radio has working Bluetooth but no auxiliary input socket.
I can pair the tablet via Bluetooth to the radio but get no sound, has anyone managed to get the spoken directions to play through the van speakers ?

Not sure but the soundabout app may help with that. It looks like it will route audio to Bluetooth.
Or lug in something like one of these into the headphone jack on the tablet and the USB in the cab to power it Amazon product ASIN B071HV6WKT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back