Total newbie considering full-timing (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take the job in the middle East, at least that will pay for your C1 tuition and practical test.
You wont get much change from £1000 which isnt a lot cheaper than taking a full HGV test.

OP
OP
Andy-the-Bruce

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
You'll be lucky to find a tonne of storage in a van less than 3.5 tonne! If you're lucky you might get 500Kg.

well, the MIRO will probably include a lot of the stuff I need to worry about (hopefully). I can't imagine I'll take more than 200kg of personal effects.

All problems that can be solved anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
well, the MIRO will probably include a lot of the stuff I need to worry about (hopefully). I can't imagine I'll take more than 200kg of personal effects.

All problems that can be solved anyway.
You'll be surprised.

I started fulltiming in August last year.
I have a 6 berth a class tag axle van at present and it's just me .....everything I own is in this van and it's max weight is 5200kg think I'm currently sitting around 5000kg with full tanks but I am carrying a few things I don't need and after living in it a good 8 months now I can easily downsize vans which I intend to do when I return to the UK at the end of the year.

If you can do it then go for it ...youll learn on the road.
Incidentally I plan to sell this van and I'm downgrading to a 6 metre 3/4 berth probably a hymer or hobby around the 15k Mark myself.
Plenty out there I've just watched 4 vans if have bought end on eBay this week unsold at your budget price.
I wouldn't bother carrying a loaf of spares around with you...the money you might save buying them trade now you'd waste in extra fuel carrying them around and might not need them for a good while.
By all means fit new brakes tyres etc begore you set off so you know you've got good miles on.them but parts are readily available throughout Europe.
As others have said you'll struggle with payload as it is so why cripple yourself straight off.

OP
OP
Andy-the-Bruce

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Having considered it, I'll probably take a few service kits and just renew the clutch, tyres and brakes with top end stuff before I leave.

Djenks

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Prestbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t 564
Exp
I sold up last year, bought a motorhome and set off last October to the continent with no particular destination in mind.
My travels took me through France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece. I wintered in Greece (following the sun around the Peloponnese more often than not) and it has been magnificent. I’d never been in a motorhome before and I did therefore experience the odd difficulty that could have been avoided had I practised a few overnighters in the UK before departing but there were always people willing to help. This was particularly true in the Balkans and Greece where Brits are a rarity over the winter months.
I’ve enjoyed every moment (especially in the Balkans and Greece) and my advice would be to just do it and keep doing it while you enjoy it.
I understand the advantages of a 6 berthed but bear in mind that a lot of the roads in the more interesting places do not lend themselves to large vehicles. I went for a vehicle that sleeps two but has a large garage for storage space.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back