New Iveco Daily Chassis, do you have a charging issue?? (2 Viewers)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

This means that it is equipped with the "Smart Alternator". It charges the battery depending on the driving condition or if enough capacity is available in the batteries it supports the engine with horsepower e. g. at full load in mountain rides. In this case also the leisure batteries are discharged and there may be a loss of capacity in the batteries.

This was copied from further up the thread and describes what i was told and was exactly what I experienced with the smell of rubber. Some vehicles use regenerative braking to supply electrical power but not as far as I know Iveco. I just don't see a serpentine belt as a sensible means to add propulsion power to a vehicle.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This means that it is equipped with the "Smart Alternator". It charges the battery depending on the driving condition or if enough capacity is available in the batteries it supports the engine with horsepower e. g. at full load in mountain rides. In this case also the leisure batteries are discharged and there may be a loss of capacity in the batteries.

This was copied from further up the thread and describes what i was told and was exactly what I experienced with the smell of rubber. Some vehicles use regenerative braking to supply electrical power but not as far as I know Iveco. I just don't see a serpentine belt as a sensible means to add propulsion power to a vehicle.
Which base chassis does this?

Martin

EDIT, OK I have read back through the thread and you are quoting a response from the N+B factory re the IVECO smart alternator, something might be lost in translation as I don't think/believe that the engine is supported by the batteries other than valuable horsepower is not used charging batteries when it is most needed for propulsion as it would/could be on a non smart set.

Martin

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Which base chassis does this?

Martin

EDIT, OK I have read back through the thread and you are quoting a response from the N+B factory re the IVECO smart alternator, something might be lost in translation as I don't think/believe that the engine is supported by the batteries other than valuable horsepower is not used charging batteries when it is most needed for propulsion as it would/could be on a non smart set.

Martin
Well logic says I have to agree you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Simple test to determine if your alternator is "Smart" or not, I guess it also identifies one that has been switched to normal in the ECU,

So how do I know if I have one and what’s the solution?

The test, mercifully, is much simpler than the science behind the smart alternators’ use. You will need a multimeter capable of reading 12V DC.

1. Locate your main vehicle battery

2. Start the engine, ensuring any fans, radio, lights etc. are turned off.

3. Take a voltage reading across the main vehicle battery

4. Leave running for around 5/10 minutes, then repeat step 3

If your readings are around 14.4V DC then then you most likely have the traditional, non-smart alternator.

If your reading is closer to 12.5-13.5V then it’s likely that you have a smart alternator.

If you do happen to have a smart alternator this isn’t an issue. Here at Rayne Automotive Ltd, we use a CTEK D250SA DC DC charger specifically designed and wired to charge leisure batteries from smart alternators. It’s also great because it doubles as an intelligent 20A Solar charge controller.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Just wanted to say a huge "Tha
You are not missing much really but try here as it is most likely the updated version, you need to be section 5,

ELECTRONIC SUB-SYSTEMS

5.6ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT

page 35 talks about smart alternator and two alternators for additional loads.

http://ibb.iveco.com/Body Builder Instructions/UK and Ireland/UK/DAILY/DAILY MY2016/Daily EURO6 - MY2016 - Bodybuilder Instructions (Edition October 2017 - with bookmarks).pdf

Martin
nks" for posting the pdf of that manual MArtin; I love having that level of detail available. Saved it on my on-board file storage for reference. Cheers

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun