Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
In a bit of a dilemma and know you lovely lot out there will come up with some good advice.
We have a 10yr old Celtic Rambler Fifth Wheeler and the same age Toyota Hilux truck.
We originally had cover through Camping and Caravan Mayday which covered the rig in UK . A quote obtained from Red Pennant for European cover for 3 months was astronomical and they declined to just cover the truck only .
So we went over to RAC who offered cheaper cover. However, we are looking at being in Europe for 6 months this Winter and the quote now given by RAC is again extremely high.
We have insurance cover through Camptons but they will not supply breakdown cover for our rig.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I had a fifth wheel, and didn't bother with breakdown cover. The truck can be repaired by any garage worth it's salt, and as for the trailer, four wheels and tyres, four brakes, a bit of wiring and a few bulbs what really is there to 'breakdown' that couldn't be fixed by an adept mechanic?
I couldn't see the point of going to all the trouble and expense of finding and paying for 'breakdown cover' and wait for hours or days for someone to drag me all the way home, or to a garage, and still have to pay to get it fixed. Some people wouldn't be without BC, but not for me.
If I broke down, which I didn't, and I couldn't fix it, I would get someone else to repair it, that was my philosophy. I did have a battery die on my truck in Spain once, shoved one on from the trailer, wandered off to the local tyre and battery place, bought a new one, they fitted it, and off we went. And it was cheaper than in the UK to buy.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would also think that with a Toyota truck you would have no problems finding a local garage to fix it, IF you had a breakdown. Mine was a Dodge Ram.
A great mechanic and fabricator I know says, 'If man made it, man can remake it'. And that is applicable in Europe too.
Paying out huge amounts for BC just makes you feel that someone is on your side. Use the money to pay for any repairs that may be needed instead. Europeans have breakdowns as well, where do they have theirs fixed?

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
All the cover for 5 th wheels is very grey area as the trailer can't be towed if the vehicle breaks down very easily as the wiring and brakes are not to a standard as some are air some electric and different plugs . Loading on a low loader is difficult as the unit needs to moved as one as trailer only front legs .

From my experience breakdown companies don't have a clue what you are talking about but happy to take your money .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back