Full-timing and getting a dog (1 Viewer)

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I'm quite keen to get a dog and am an experienced animal keeper (dogs, cats, horses). At the moment, I'm full-timing but not travelling/touring. Has anyone got a dog when already full-timing? I would like to adopt, but they have home inspections etc and don't know if a motorhome would be accepted. The dog would be able to get out and have lots of walks and would not be alone for more than a couple of hours at any time, occasionally.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They can restrict you a little, but if you're a dog lover then they'll pay that back in spades. If you are not too worried about a particular breed then put the word out here and on social media that you are looking and the dog will find you. Best of luck (y)

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We re-homed our Jack Russell from Wood Green animal rescue with no problem, didn’t worry about no house.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You don’t state where you are to travel when fulltiming,however, why don’t you let a Dog come to you! Having had Dogs for decades that met a natural end we decided not to get another without one came our way.

Our Pepe was alongside the main 340 in Spain that is the most dangerous road Death Wise in Europe he was 4 months old it was 8.00am on a Sunday and according to the Vet would have been abandoned by Hunters, we accepted him and he accepted us he’s now 6 years old and we love him so so much he’s a young lad now and brings so much to our lives.

My Son had a similar experience in Sardinia and he’s got a brilliant Dog that just keeps giving.

If you start your travels without a Dog I guarantee you won’t finish without a best pal.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm quite keen to get a dog and am an experienced animal keeper (dogs, cats, horses). At the moment, I'm full-timing but not travelling/touring. Has anyone got a dog when already full-timing? I would like to adopt, but they have home inspections etc and don't know if a motorhome would be accepted. The dog would be able to get out and have lots of walks and would not be alone for more than a couple of hours at any time, occasionally.

You're right about the home inspections. Friends of ours (not motorhomers) were looking for a rescue Spaniel. They'd had their last Spaniel from pup till she died of old age. The rescue centre's checks and conditions were so onerous they abandoned the search with them and went to a breeder instead. Even the breeder insisted they travel to see the pup every weekend. They had to prove to the breeder they were fit to own the pup. It was only after around six weekends of visiting they were deemed suitable! In my view this is totally unreasonable. Every weekend they were scrutinised whilst they played with the pups - they felt really on edge in case the breeder refused to sell the pup to them.

I know breeders and rescue centres have to check where the pup will be living and ask questions of the potential owners to ensure they know what they're doing but beyond this I think its way over the top.

I would ask around your area to see if there are rescue centres with less onerous selection procedures. Another good place to ask is your local vets.

Wishing you good luck with your search :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I would look at rehoming one via social media, Gumtree often has " home needed" ads. My neighbour would give a brilliant home to a dog but the rescue centres made it so difficult she gave up approaching them. One refused point blanks when she said she has a cat, others insisted she had to replace existing garden fencing with a 6 foot fence.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Before I got Kerry, I did the rounds of the local Rescue/Rehoming centres... I found it all a bit disappointing, either they were economical with the truth, or completely unwilling to let go of any of their dogs. One at Wansford wouldn't actually tell me where they were! Most bizarre.

As for home checks, I found the practical attitude of where I got Kerry from a breath of fresh air... She did it [such as it was] when she brought Kerry over...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
when full-time we tried several rescue places , none would consider us as we live in a motorhome, which is sad.. but hey ho..

we eventually bought a JRT pup from a private seller.. not a breeder, we visited her home and saw the pups with mother..

another thing to consider is the extra costs, not just the usual vets bills but if you go abroad the Pets Passport , the extra on the ferry is £15 each way or £19 each trip on the tunnel + vet fees in France to give worming tablet.. we now have two, the second is a Cairn Terrier.. adorable little dog.. they both travel with us, the cost is not inconsiderable .. and if you use sites , many now charge for pets, usually a couple of Euro .

Mylo is now 10 years old and still as feisty ever , but he s great travelling dog, good alarm dog and no problems whatsoever.. would't be without him

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I understand a dog's sense of smell is hundreds of times more senstive that that of a human, therefore it would amount to animal cruelty to try to get one to spend time in my van... :Eeek:

JJ :cool:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
You don’t state where you are to travel when fulltiming,however, why don’t you let a Dog come to you! Having had Dogs for decades that met a natural end we decided not to get another without one came our way.

Our Pepe was alongside the main 340 in Spain that is the most dangerous road Death Wise in Europe he was 4 months old it was 8.00am on a Sunday and according to the Vet would have been abandoned by Hunters, we accepted him and he accepted us he’s now 6 years old and we love him so so much he’s a young lad now and brings so much to our lives.

My Son had a similar experience in Sardinia and he’s got a brilliant Dog that just keeps giving.

If you start your travels without a Dog I guarantee you won’t finish without a best pal.

A great bit of advice.
Ours found us in Sicily. We had his 1st birthday party yesterday and I have the hangover to prove it.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Funny you should say that!

Our boy, Krumel, on the left and his brother, (yes his brother) Magnus, on the right.

IMG_3639.JPG

I did apologise to him but the Mrs insisted on the wings for his party.

IMG_3676.JPG

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ive been in space 10 weeks now and no doggies have found me.
I'm visiting the refuge in totana tomorrow to have a wee look :)

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
We full time with our two dogs. The downsides; they are banned from lots of places like castles, museums, restaurants (even outdoors in some), buses and trains require muzzles in Portugal and they will need their own tickets. Not always welcome at campsites and have to be kept on a lead. Even banned from some parks and many beaches. If they're banned, we're effectively banned too in many cases as we have to be very careful about going anywhere and leaving them on their own in the van - lots to consider but not impossible.

The upsides outweigh all this obvs. Plenty of dogs need your help, go for it and good luck .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I still say go for it :)
I adopted mine about 3 .5 weeks ago now ....wouldnt change her for the world.
20180425_122905.jpg
20180424_214615.jpg
20180421_162902.jpg
20180408_150131.jpg
20180406_135556.jpg

As for home inspections the rescue place I adopted jade from seemed to think life in a motorhome touring around was one of the best life's for a dog ever.... lots of outdoors and a small familiar space to call home

Jade seems to love it

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Manic is my other half, yes Wood Green were fine with us fulltiming.
I also asked Dogs Trust when at a show and they seemed to think they could 'get round it'-not having a garden!
As others have stated you will always find someone wanting to get rid of a dog, just be careful of what you take on!

Linda18

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2003
Ive been in space 10 weeks now and no doggies have found me.
I'm visiting the refuge in totana tomorrow to have a wee look :)

If you are still near Totana, there is a large rescue just outside Turre, Paws (patatas) and I was going to adopt from there while in my motorhome. At the time the rabies laws for bringing back to GB weren't as easy as they are now. ie 6 months from the vaccination and it is now 21 days.

PS I travel with 4 border collies.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you are still near Totana, there is a large rescue just outside Turre, Paws (patatas) and I was going to adopt from there while in my motorhome. At the time the rabies laws for bringing back to GB weren't as easy as they are now. ie 6 months from the vaccination and it is now 21 days.

PS I travel with 4 border collies.
Already adopted one in totana :)

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I’m a fulltimer with 3 dogs, all given to me as unwanted, a collie, Rottweiler and Jack Russell. They get on great and love our nomadic lifestyle. They’re also extremely protective of me and our motorhome so security is guaranteed, especially at night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back