Fen tiger

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, I am new to this site and looking forward to chatting with you all. We are thinking of going to Spain for the winter and want to wild camp. Any info on this and where to go would be helpful. Feel free to e-mail me as well as answering on here. :Cool:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, an alternative to wild camping is España Discovery.

It's a guide book full of vineyards and farm shops that offer a one night stopover for free. They hope of course that you'll buy some wine or have a meal, but it's not a condition of the stopover.

They've sites in the North West and the North East coast.

I read somewhere that it's quite difficult to wild camp in Spain, though I have no personal experience. I'm sure someone else who's done it will be along shortly!

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Also interested in wild camping in Spain

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the same thing, not for over-wintering, but because we will be getting off the Bilbao ferry early evening, want to get a couple of hours heading south to reduce the amount of time spent on the drive down to Algericas the next day.

I don't really want to book a campsite in case it is difficult to get in after 8PM for example, or we find we either don't want to drive that far or want to crack on and driver further that evening.

So I was thinking about wild camping somewhere - arrive dusk, depart around dawn.

What are my chances?

Steve.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So I was thinking about wild camping somewhere - arrive dusk, depart around dawn.

What are my chances?

Steve.

plenty of truck stops and road side cafe / restaurants that are fine for oven nighting .. have used them with the RV..

just go in, buy a snack. speak to the proprietor and ask about staying overnight .. most are very amiable

this may be of use.
Link Removed

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi Fen Tiger :welcomefunster: enjoy Spain give us a clue when you are going,where from and in which direction you want to head and i will see what i can do.Stay Safe:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the same thing, not for over-wintering, but because we will be getting off the Bilbao ferry early evening, want to get a couple of hours heading south to reduce the amount of time spent on the drive down to Algericas the next day.

I don't really want to book a campsite in case it is difficult to get in after 8PM for example, or we find we either don't want to drive that far or want to crack on and driver further that evening.

What are my chances?

Steve.

Arriving late is not usually that much of a problem as the spanish usually work late. The only problems I have had is arriving between midday and about 5pm when everyone is on the siesta and the office is closed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun Fen Tiger...

To me "Off Site" camping involves heading in the direction you choose to go and stopping at places you find along the way and like.

I have done this for years all over the place (including the Uk and Spain).

Never had any bother worth worrying about...

I "keep my head down", never put out the washing/tables and chairs/BBQ or leave any mess...

JJ :Cool:

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome to the Fun Fen Tiger...

To me "Off Site" camping involves heading in the direction you choose to go and stopping at places you find along the way and like.

I "keep my head down", never put out the washing/tables and chairs/BBQ or leave any mess...

JJ :Cool:

That sounds like my sort of thing :Smile:

My camper is small and has high ground clearance, so I am quite happy to find some dirt track and park somewhere quiet in the countryside - I don't need any facilities. I know from the US forums that that sort of 'boondocking' is really easy out there, but also I suspect if I tried that in the UK I would struggle to find anywhere without height barriers, no-entry signs, etc. What is the situation like in Spain? I am contemplating using Google earth to find some possible looking tracks and marking them on the GPS.

Steve.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Two big wild camping areas we have seen in the last 2 weeks are at La Marina just north of Guardamar del Sugura (over 80 vans) and at Calnegre south of Puerto de Mazarron (60 vans).

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
Fentiger & Steve (sabconsulting) and welcome to FUN:thumb:
You are both looking for different things--------Steve, you are after a night-stop while on a main road & fen-tiger you are after a longer stay, I hope well off the main roads ??
If we were in US Steve I would say, when you are ready to stop, put Walmart in Tom-Tom, a good night-stop::bigsmile:------but wer'e not:Doh:
It is easier on the smaller roads, you can just take a smaller turn-off and take pot luck, or you can head for a dam (barragem in Portugal) you can usually stop there. We have found cemetarys are good for a peacefull stop (and fill up with water) If you can estimate where you would want to stop, Google earth works well. The main road truck-stops are good but be carefull of security.
We have always found night stopovers quite easily (if you are not too fussy)
Wild camping longer term in Spain is a thing we have never done, but we have stopped for several days WELL away from the coast (which is where we love to be)
The problem we are seeing is the AMOUNT of vans wildcamping!!!!! And locals are a bit pissed-off that we are getting water etc. for free and they have to pay!!!!!!! A lot of vans are being moved on from around the coast.
We understand that in Maroc, a lot of wild camping spots charge:cry: But we think where you, Steve will be camping, there will be no-one around to collect it:ROFLMAO:
Nigel & Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Two big wild camping areas we have seen in the last 2 weeks are at La Marina just north of Guardamar del Sugura ([HI]over 80 vans[/HI]) and at Calnegre south of Puerto de Mazarron [HI](60 vans)[/HI].

unless these are official parking places/aires .. this is why locals and the authorities get peed off .. this isn't 'wild camping' ..

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Two big wild camping areas we have seen in the last 2 weeks are at La Marina just north of Guardamar del Sugura (over 80 vans) and at Calnegre south of Puerto de Mazarron (60 vans).
Please note that I am passing on information regarding areas I have seen. We only come across the wilding areas whilst riding our bicycles from the campsites we are staying on.

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Hi everyone,

What are my chances?

Steve.

I know the thread was started awhile back, been right across Spain in the last 4 months, w/parking no probs. We always pick a small town, park up and walk it, better to see what you are impacting on by foot, they (locals) are usually nosey at first then leave you alone if your inconspicuous. We usually use the local veg shoppe and bodega if we stay more than a night, locals love to hola you and get to smile if you stay.

Only prob place this year was the golden mile coasts, Barcelona too Malaga, too many taking the pee staying on the beaches all season, washing out etc.
Mostly... not UK nationals, say no more.
Go inland a couple of miles and its proper Spain, beautiful, friendly and good tapas bars, yum.

If you want to do a particular place pm. me, would def. recommend Nerja & Torrox this year if you want micro-climate and beach, fabulous.:winky:

keninpalamos

Free Member
Sep 5, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
started in 2001
parking in Spain

Wise words JJ:thumb: wild parking is generally OK and excepted in the right places. Wild camping is not excepted along the Med so as JJ indicated try to look like you are just parked. Another tip, for picking up water is get it when you fuel up at a garage but have a look for a fast flowing supply first.. When you pay for the fuel ask if it's ok to take water and give the attendant a euro as you do so. Well worth it! Gas? get a Repsol or Cepsa bottle and regulator as it's cheap and carry a spare or a refillable as a back up if you don't have a tank.

keninpalamos

Free Member
Sep 5, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
started in 2001
could it be?

to Grasscutter no offence but your name isn't Howard and your partners name surly isn't Marina :ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Fen Tiger :welcomefunster: enjoy Spain give us a clue when you are going,where from and in which direction you want to head and i will see what i can do.Stay Safe:thumb:

Now then you old Bu*ger are you well.... I hope the rest of your team are fit, say hi to otis for us..................mel

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
[Like JJ
We have motorhomes for 20 years on the continent and never booked a site and had no problems (apart from being woken at 2 in the morning by a hooker plying her trade just outside Gib.) Just stop where you like but dont make it obvious and keep your heads downQUOTE=JJ;542045]Welcome to the Fun Fen Tiger...

JJ :Cool:[/QUOTE]

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Spain Torre Del Mar

Hi..
There is a very good wild camping spot on the feria (fair) ground right on the beach front at Torre Del Mar east of Malaga. Lots of motorhomes migrate to this location for the winter. Water and cassette emptying facilities are also on site. We take our motorhome there most weeks. You can still get a menu del dia (three courses) for 6.50 euros. Tapas go to the Alaska and for a beer El Faro on Torre Torre. If you need any further details please email me.
Have a good trip south to the sun.
atb Neil

Hi, I am new to this site and looking forward to chatting with you all. We are thinking of going to Spain for the winter and want to wild camp. Any info on this and where to go would be helpful. Feel free to e-mail me as well as answering on here. :Cool:

SteRegi

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Not Yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have camped in Spain on couple of occassions after been to France. Nice places are Playa Joyel Noja in Cantabria and Park Playa Bara is very nice too Costa Dorada (altho second one is more country life than first which is more lake-park theme!).Theres more info on this site Link Removed used them last time and you can e-mail them with any questions you have without having to have already brought your tickets.

Exu

Free Member
Dec 31, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Supposedly (according to Spanish and EU Law) it is illegal to discriminate against a motorhome just because it is a motorhome and with a motorhome (but not a caravan) you can legally PARK anywhere that a small commercial vehicle can park. You can sleep and cook in your vehicle and still be parking. But if you put out table and chairs, or your awning/sunshade, or even open your side windows then you are CAMPING and this can be banned.
Unfortunately many local authorities are not aware of this and are pressured (often by campsite owners who want motorhomes to come into their sites) into putting up signs banning caravans and motorhomes.

Juanjo7

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Basque Country
Funster No
MH
Perfilada Pilote
Exp
Sorry to remind some, it is time for all to learn that FREE CAMPING IS PROHIBITED BY LAW IN SPAIN, IN ALL THE NATIONAL TERRITORY. YOU CAN NOT CHAMP FOR FREE IN ANY SITE. It is time for all those who come to Spain with that intention to find out. PARKING IS NOT PROHIBITED. If you take out of the motorhome, even for a short time, the chairs or the table or the chocks or the awning etc. YOU ARE CAMPING. Go to a campsite or area for that.
I am a Spanish motor caravan enthusiast and we have to fight a lot with the authorities for the uncivilized behavior of many fans ... especially those who spend long fixed seasons somewhere.
Become aware of what we all play with our performance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back