Galloway Forest (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
We were down on the solway on a foraging day course. Drove back via Raiders Road. single track forest road. Two great spots to wild camp. Loch at top and Otters Pool. Will definately go back for an overnight stay. Any one been?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Yep before m/home days we used to stay at a farm at Newton Stewart.
Many fond memories of D&G.
Luvverly walks around Talnotry and loch Trool! :thumb:
Done the drovers road a few times but unfortunately never saw an otter despite stopping at the otters pool a few times! :cry:

OP
OP
paul rimmer
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
galloway

yes. live in glasgow but never been to D&G until we got van. solway coast is great like a mini cornwall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
paul rimmer
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
france

Just seen you are living in France. My parents had house in South Brittany. Will be going back with van. farthest south we got was Poitiers to go to Futeroscope!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to work in the centre of Galashiels and the back of the office had a little bit of a garden that looked over the Gala Water. We used watch the otters playing in the water and on the banks. I worked with vulnerable adults and it was so therapeutic for them watching these wonderful creatures and their young.

A new housing development went up across the water and the otters disappeared for a while (they went upstream to near B&Q) but came back once the peace returned.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Paul I'm a Glaswegian living in Dumfries, I keep telling the folk on here when they cross the border turn left and you will find every thing Scotland has to offer. Only difference being its a lot quieter and cheaper than tourist hotspots.

If your ever looking for wildcamping spots let me know.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Paul I'm a Glaswegian living in Dumfries, I keep telling the folk on here when they cross the border turn left and you will find every thing Scotland has to offer. Only difference being its a lot quieter and cheaper than tourist hotspots.

If your ever looking for wildcamping spots let me know.

Similarly coming up the East Coast route. From the border to south of Edinburgh it's amazing and only visited by tourists rushing north.......

Again if you want a stopover let me know :winky:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Been there a few times, stayed at Castle Cary, drove througb the raiders road in a 2CV, never missed a beat and drove smoothly.

OP
OP
paul rimmer
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
thanks all. Yes it is a hidden gem in scotland. wild camp on raiders road a must but yes also Borders. Have 10 days off end of June so seriously consider D&G, borders, Kielder. No need to do Europe yet! So any wild camps along this route would be welcome!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
thanks all. Yes it is a hidden gem in scotland. wild camp on raiders road a must but yes also Borders. Have 10 days off end of June so seriously consider D&G, borders, Kielder. No need to do Europe yet! So any wild camps along this route would be welcome!

PM sent Paul.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have wildcamped around clatteringshaws and the deer park in the Galloway forest, if your looking to come over Dumfries way then you have plenty of choices. There is a lovely spot in the town center its self and of your heading this way around the 21st of June then its Guid Nychburris day so loads to see and do. If you know your coming this way I will give you some place save me naming them all.

If your heading over Kielder way then email the Pheasant Inn if they have space they will keep it for you free of charge if you go for a meal or a few pints and there is a pub at the other end of the lake at the bottom of the castle, you can stay the night there for free if you visit the pub or you can pay for the forest car park.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
As per Lorger I can also supply help with overnight spots in D&G.

Link Removed

Attachments

• DSC_3801.jpg
    DSC_3801.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 52

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Around the world in a land rover Defender,UK to Aqaba Bmw r100gs, Uk to Turkey Bmw 650 gs Daker.
we are reading with interest, will be on our way end of june for plenty of wild camping and great views plus the peace

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
You do realise that this thread is getting on for two years old! That doesn't change the content though and two good reliable sources there.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
@lorger , @Puddleduck
We are heading up to Dumfries and Galloway end of April into May then heading possibly onto Arran and into the Trossachs before heading North east to Inverness (family calls) then South into the borders.

Would it be possible for you to PM me any good wilding spots in your area
Would be most grateful :):)

Cheers
John

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd recommend "The Raiders Road" to anyone, the otter pool is a wonderful spot to wild camp, there's even a toilet block & its smack bang in the middle of Britains first designated dark skies area, the view of the stars on a clear night is mind boggling.

Glad you enjoyed visiting our part of the world, please hurry back.

IAN TAYLOR

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
Funster No
I'd recommend "The Raiders Road" to anyone, the otter pool is a wonderful spot to wild camp, there's even a toilet block & its smack bang in the middle of Britains first designated dark skies area, the view of the stars on a clear night is mind boggling.

Never been to this area but thinking of going this month for a weekend. Raiders Road and Otter Pool sounds great. Is the road okay for a 7.5m MH? TIA

brianK

Free Member
Feb 18, 2018
Funster No
We were down on the solway on a foraging day course. Drove back via Raiders Road. single track forest road. Two great spots to wild camp. Loch at top and Otters Pool. Will definately go back for an overnight stay. Any one been?

Hi Paul, I am looking to take my family on a wild camping trip to Galloway Forrest and was hoping you could share some of your experience with us and also them two great spots to camp.
We are looking to do an overnight this May and visit a few attractions along with the zip slide park and maybe even get a good camping spot next to one of the locks. Any information would be much appreciated.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Any information would be much appreciated.

The Galloway forest area is perfect for wild camping & its rare that anyone would bother you, just follow the country code.
Glen Trool is very pretty with many wilding spots & you've already been reading about the Raiders Road which looks custom made for camping.
Loch Doon has a caravan/motorhome site which is relatively inexpensive, or the forest track at the south end of the loch is an undiscovered gem.
If anyone should question your overnight parking its simple to say your there to do some star gazing, but I've been wild camping with our motorhome in these area's & the park ranger gives a cheery wave as they pass by in their little green vans.

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/galloway-forest-park/raiders-road-forest-drive

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/galloway-forest-park/carrick-forest-drive

Ps: The midges don't really gather strength before mid may or early june depending on the weather.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul, I am looking to take my family on a wild camping trip to Galloway Forrest and was hoping you could share some of your experience with us and also them two great spots to camp.
We are looking to do an overnight this May and visit a few attractions along with the zip slide park and maybe even get a good camping spot next to one of the locks. Any information would be much appreciated.
If your doing the Zip wire at the Laggan or Logan center (can't remember the name) then you'll find a lovely little campsite just up the road, it's very basic but right on the beach so if you've got kids they love it.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
If your doing the Zip wire at the Laggan or Logan center (can't remember the name) then you'll find a lovely little campsite just up the road, it's very basic but right on the beach so if you've got kids they love it.

That's handy to know Gerry, I'm always looking for sites near the beach, we often use New England Bay & the dogs adore swimming in the sea.

Robert.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That's handy to know Gerry, I'm always looking for sites near the beach, we often use New England Bay & the dogs adore swimming in the sea.

Robert.
I'll have a look for the name this week, it's basic with no hookup but great location.

brianK

Free Member
Feb 18, 2018
Funster No

Thanks for the info and i never expected that we would have the chance to camp near a beach, the kids will love it :)

brianK

Free Member
Feb 18, 2018
Funster No
The Galloway forest area is perfect for wild camping & its rare that anyone would bother you, just follow the country code.
Glen Trool is very pretty with many wilding spots & you've already been reading about the Raiders Road which looks custom made for camping.
Loch Doon has a caravan/motorhome site which is relatively inexpensive, or the forest track at the south end of the loch is an undiscovered gem.
If anyone should question your overnight parking its simple to say your there to do some star gazing, but I've been wild camping with our motorhome in these area's & the park ranger gives a cheery wave as they pass by in their little green vans.

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/galloway-forest-park/raiders-road-forest-drive

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/galloway-forest-park/carrick-forest-drive

Ps: The midges don't really gather strength before mid may or early june depending on the weather.

Cheers, we are all looking forward to the trip (y) Looks like there will be so much to do...

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
we are coming up to Scotland middle May till middle June,we are doing a couple of rallies Dumfries and Cumbrea
Millport.
We are interested in the posts about Galloway Forest .We would also like to visit around Loch Lomand and the Trossacks.
Do we need a permit to park overnight ,have read somewhere you do.
We do intend some Brtit stops and sites .
Would love to get up to Inverness area and the Isles of Arron and Skye
Lots there but any ideas please

YorkieT

Free Member
Mar 14, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the info and i never expected that we would have the chance to camp near a beach, the kids will love it :)

Hi,

I think the site referred to above is called Auchenlarie it's 2 mins away from Laggan.
If anyone needs any info on places to wild camp in D&G or South Ayrshire please don't hesitate to ask

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi,

I think the site referred to above is called Auchenlarie it's 2 mins away from Laggan.
If anyone needs any info on places to wild camp in D&G or South Ayrshire please don't hesitate to ask

auchenlarie is a large campsite with full facilities... I think the site gerry is referring to is newton farm site..
as you head towards Stranraer it on the left before you reach the the turn off for the moss yard site or the auchenlarie site.. easily missed and the site isn't visible from the road..its down a little lane after you pass the owners bungalow..
gerry @lorger will possibly be back to confirm this or even David @DavidG58 as it was him who introduced us to the place.. and it is a lovely beach side location...
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back