Colinite wax and its application.. (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
well i followed charlies guide to waxing your MH ,it took half a tin of collonite 476 and a knackerd me ,but i did it(y)
After reading this, I guess we both used too much, I used half a tin . I bought mine from polished bliss for £19.50, but they now have the double sized tin for only £25, yes I bought another.

Mickey.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Hi Charlie,
Won't go into all the detail but I've spent two full days just on the roof (It's all GRP) washed, clay mitt, polished, washed, waxed and I,m still not happy with the results.:(
Don't know if you can see from the pictures the swirling, what am I doing wrong, is there a temperature below which you should not polish? do you think I'm trying to do too large an area at once? applying too much?
View attachment 161586
View attachment 161587

Yes I am a bit anal when it comes to my MH,:whistle:
thanks in advance
Mr frustrated from Tod.:LOL:
I want to wax my roof but not sure how. Do you actually crawl on the roof or stretch from a ladder.?

Mickey.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
After reading this, I guess we both used too much, I used half a tin . I bought mine from polished bliss for £19.50, but they now have the double sized tin for only £25, yes I bought another.

Mickey.
I could only get the small tin, used nearly the whole tin on my van and haven't done the roof yet. Did by hand and used a polish applicator pad didn't put that much on.
I want to wax my roof but not sure how. Do you actually crawl on the roof or stretch from a ladder.?

Mickey.
I just walk about on the roof bonded roofs are very strong, a bit dodgy doing the front over cab on mine, new van is a bit on the high side and can only get the to the first foot in the centre from the front, had to lay on the roof and reach down full stretch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Hi Mikey,
I actually get on the roof carfully and try to spread my weight by keeping low when polishing, i am however fairly light, I guess about 10 and a half stone. I do walk upright to get to the spot I want to be but again very carfully and try to keep as far away from week spots as possible. I have not noticed any flexing apart from when near the cab/habitation joint so take extra special care around that area. I would advise though that you do some research or contact the manufacturer of your van to determin it is safe to do so.
Mine by the way is a much maligned Swift.:whistle:(y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Guys you only use a tiny amount of wax... I could easily do my PVC 20 times from the small tin !!

If it's hard to remove use a damp cloth.

Tips.

Apply out of direct sunlight or at least on a cooler day if you can. The job can be done on a sunny or hot day you just need to speed up removal. Turn the vehicle round and keep the side your working on in the shade.

Apply with a damp cloth. This will not dilute the wax it just makes it easy to apply. The moisture drys away leaving the wax on the surface. I use soft foam applicators which are dead cheap off EBay.

If it's a cold day put the tin with the lid still on into a bowl of warm water. This will soften the wax and aid application. It also helps if it's a warm day if the wax is hard.

As soon as it's on the surface remove it with a soft microfibre cloth. Colinite does not need to cure.

Work on a small area at a time about the size of say half a car bonnet. Get it get it off as quick as you can.

A damp cloth then helps apply and helps with removal.

Really just apply as thin as you can. To much product just makes it hard to remove and wastes product.

Lastly spray the wax in the tin with water or just run it under the tap when you put the lid back on. This will prevent the wax from going hard if left for some time.

Re doing the roof...
Unless you know what your doing get a pro to do the roof. It's just to bloody dangerous and you could easily damage your expensive vehicles. Use a pro like @FJmike dont trust a car valeter who knows nothing about these vehicles.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Bluesurf your fibreglass panels have probably gone dull due to oxidation. Applying Colonite will not restore the shine but will give you a less matt finish and help stop it getting worse.

Agree entirely. The wax will help stop further dulling and hide the oxidisation and brighten the surfaces but for a perfect job a polish is necessary.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I'm At marquis now and they tell me the benimar will take the weight of a car. So my 10 stone won't be a problem .

Mickey.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@Lenny HB , here you go, but I think I'd use a A frame.

Mickey.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.PNG
    IMG_0771.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0772.PNG
    IMG_0772.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Bought a large tin on the strength of what Charlie said very pleased.

Oops I used 1/4 of big tin doing my 660 Cheyenne perhaps that's why have trouble keep gross weight down.
I live next to a main road and it's certainly made a big difference to it keeping clean a quick lite wash befor I go away and it sparkles (well almost )
Did put a lot on roof and worked it into all joints etc but have noticed when I did some work on roof that it's slightly yellowing due to amount on there I surpose but the sides are brill it's been on best part of 12 months now will do it again befor winter.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: DBK

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
When we bought our Benimar mileo 313 in November the paintwork was treated with Diamondbrite coating. Can I use the Collinite 476s wax to further enhance the shine and provide extra protection? I use the wax on my VX220 with excellent results.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
When we bought our Benimar mileo 313 in November the paintwork was treated with Diamondbrite coating. Can I use the Collinite 476s wax to further enhance the shine and provide extra protection? I use the wax on my VX220 with excellent results.

Yes you can apply the wax. Personally I would wash the van then Clay it then wax.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
When you clay what does that do ?

There is a guide in the Detailing section here on this forum to claying.

Basically a clay bar is used to remove all the bonded contamination from the surface. This is a very very good thing to do before waxing.

Reactions: f6c
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Never got around to this in autumn.
Just cleaned and polished MH ready for year as I said in last post I live next to main road. This time only parts I,v need to polish to remove black makes with auto glam resin, is nose cone and around top edges. And just re collinited with 476 so much easier this year, but my arms are still hanging off ,anything for arms Charlie :D2

Andy

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Just seen this and wondering if it worth using the sealer and wax on our new van

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Just seen this and wondering if it worth using the sealer and wax on our new van

Just read up on it and it looks good, surpose it’s down to personal preference.
But any sealer &wax is better than non at all and it’s the best time to start if your vans new.

Andy

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Got some here ready to do a spring clean on the moho & our car, maybe even Hazels mobility scooter.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I bought some, and did the wifes VW van, it's a Balckberry colour and it came up a real treat.

I did notice though that my white VW didn't exactly shine after the 476. Is is better to polish with say AutoGlym Resin polish then use 476 after ?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I bought some, and did the wifes VW van, it's a Balckberry colour and it came up a real treat.

I did notice though that my white VW didn't exactly shine after the 476. Is is better to polish with say AutoGlym Resin polish then use 476 after ?

Any surface will benefit from being either well cleaned or polished before wax is applied.
Polishing restores shine and removes defects and muck.

Wax or sealent preserve and add shine.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi to everyone just got a new Autotrail 730 need tips and advice on how to clean and wax/polish plus roof as we have a lot of big trees close by the ones with the little whirly things, and how do you get rid of the silicone marks off the windscreen and black marks just seen some spray stuff in asda that last 12 months would this be any good (liquid).

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi to everyone just got a new Autotrail 730 need tips and advice on how to clean and wax/polish plus roof as we have a lot of big trees close by the ones with the little whirly things, and how do you get rid of the silicone marks off the windscreen and black marks just seen some spray stuff in asda that last 12 months would this be any good (liquid).

Spray stuff ?
I bought some spray stuff from the supermarket .mine says shaving gel !
What did the one you saw say (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at the detailing section of the Forum but as a starter buy some Collinite 476S wax was off the internet. Give the van a good wash and when dry apply the wax with the applicator it comes with. Don't wait for it to dry, polish it straight off with a good (and new :)) microfibre cloth. You could give the front two coats.

But, if there are still black marks on the paint after washing use a polish to remove them before applying the wax. Auto polishes are a fine abrasive and will remove a lot of marks, including tar and tree resin. I use Autoglym super resin polish but other stuff does the job. :)

I find after waxing our van, squashed flies just wash off if you give them time to soak first and black marks are much easier to remove.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
thanks DBK, looks like I will have to wait a week or so for some dry weather to come back , Basildog, the stuff I saw was a purple liquid think it might be some sort of silicone with some wax in it but will check next time I go .

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Spray waxes are nearly always very low durability. Not worth using in my opinion.

A good quality wax will last and protect the finishes it’s applied too.

Silicones are the lowest durability waxes we can buy. Hopeless.

As DBK points out above a well waxed surface will make cleaning so much easier. Plus bird crap that gets onto surfaces will not do the damage it often can. Bird poo sticks to surfaces then shrinks. This can cause marks that only deep polishing can remove and sometimes they cannot be removed at all.

Wax really does protect your vehicle surfaces.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Thanks Charlie, but how do you wax the roof ! can't really walk on it (I can walk on water but not roofs) and I've only got short arms , should I use a normal shampoo then polish then wax or the other way round,( polish and wax that is) off to Tenerife in the morning so the waxing ETC will have to wait till we are back, hopefully the weather will kind and I can get it done, hope some of you guys will come up with a way for me to wax the roof (don't like a lot of elbow grease these days) wife says my baby so you clean it!!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at the detailing section of the Forum but as a starter buy some Collinite 476S wax was off the internet. Give the van a good wash and when dry apply the wax with the applicator it comes with. Don't wait for it to dry, polish it straight off with a good (and new :)) microfibre cloth. You could give the front two coats.

But, if there are still black marks on the paint after washing use a polish to remove them before applying the wax. Auto polishes are a fine abrasive and will remove a lot of marks, including tar and tree resin. I use Autoglym super resin polish but other stuff does the job. :)

I find after waxing our van, squashed flies just wash off if you give them time to soak first and black marks are much easier to remove.

I never got an applicator with our 476S?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back