beware non OEM windscreen replacement (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
We recently needed a replacement windscreen on our 5 month old Peugeot Elddis Accordo. CC insurers appointed National Windscreens . That's when the fun started. Wrong screen fitted badly. Two months later after a lot of nashing of teeth we have a correct screen supplied by Peugeot and fitted correctly by Autoglass at Scarborough. Beware of cheap imitations. The resultant water ingress behind the scuttle seal would have invalidated the Peugeot warranty had it caused damage!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Something always to be aware off, I've heard of replacement Hymer A class screens being fitted that don't have the anti-reflective coating that the originals have.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I remember reading a warning about Carthago A class screens soon after we bought ours. Allegedly the big windscreen companies were using pattern screens produced in a mould that Carthago had rejected.
When we needed a replacement I insisted they supply the OEM screen, made by Bertone.
When they turned up to fit it they had brought the cheapo version despite their notes showing it should be the Bertone.
They went away with a flea in their ear and had to re-order at the correct one.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A class screens being fitted that don't have the anti-reflective coating that the originals have.
I must admit Lenny, I wasn't aware that they were coated. :eek:

@scallywag15. It took 3 x wrong screens and a strong insistence by me, (similar to @Clarky's "flea in the ear"), before the correct OE screen was fitted. It was produced by Pilkington. No problems since. (y)

The windscreen replacement companies will always try to fit the cheapest screen option possible. Even the fitters admitted that patterned part screens were never a good fit on A Class MHs. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
scallywag15
Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
all the new shape sevell made boxers ducatos have a screen made by st gobain Its quite different to older shapes and the scuttle is redesigned to eliminate the old problem of water on the engine cover and injectors. works when fitted correctly!!!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had to have our :inlove: Winnebago :inlove: windscreen three years back at Christmas, replaced after it was struck by a naughty stone which cause a crack. From start to finish, it took about three weeks including getting the screen from the USA. Fitted by Autoglass, at our local bus garage, because of the height, I am sure one of the fitters had OCD, because it took him ages of preparation before he was satisfied enough with his work to attempt to mount the new screen. Not that I complained, they did a really super job of it, taking the pair of them over four hours. Anyway, apparently, many new screens coming long distance get broken getting them out of the box. In my case the glass was inside a slim wooden crate that had been filled with expanding foam, which whilst keeps it safe, makes it a bugger to get out. ::bigsmile:

In total, it cost me ÂŁ50 and the NFU, ÂŁ5500. :devil: I felt quite sorry for them. :rofl:

P1030396.JPG

OP
OP
scallywag15
Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
Well done ERS insurance..After National Windscreens refused point blank to pay a penny I sent all info to ERS who having examined case reimbursed in full..thank you ERS for renewing my faith in customer services!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well done ERS insurance..After National Windscreens refused point blank to pay a penny I sent all info to ERS who having examined case reimbursed in full..thank you ERS for renewing my faith in customer services!
Why would National Windscreens pay you?

OP
OP
scallywag15
Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
They fitted the wrong screen originally and fitted it incorrectly 2 months later and a lot of toing and froing I was forced to buy a genuine screen to keep PEUGEOT warranty valid. Surely they should have reimbursed to cover for their continuing incompetence.!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back