Onboard water or not? (1 Viewer)

Casals98

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone, we've skied twice before and I've never been brave enough to fill the water tanks -we just used a water butt. Our van is an French chausson 2009 so is probably better insulated than some british vans. The cold water tank is under the lounge seat and we have diesel heating/oil heater when in hook up. Had anyone had problems with freezing pipes? I guess we could leave the heating on low all day but is this necessary. We'll be in the French Alps. Any advice welcome.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Most of us that go up the mountains skiing fill our inboard water tanks and leave the heating on a low setting through out the day.
Put a bucket under your waste tank and leave the valve open,then your good to go(n)

Just edited this::welco:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your water butt outside is much more likely to freeze than inside tanks. Not familiar with your MH but most continental motorhomes are suitable for winter use, unlike some British ones, so should not have any water pipes outside. The waste tank is more likely to freeze unless its heated as many are, hence leave the drain open with a bucket under. You can always empty a bucket, even if the grey disposal is covered by bucket shaped ice cubes as I have experienced on an occassion.:LOL:

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
If you have an onboard tank and laeve your heating set to above freezing you are fine with fresh water, your problems if any will be dependent on your pipes i.e where they are routed, their bore and the insulation or heating around them that prevents them freezing - the let down of many British built vans and budget European ones. The other main, if not THE main problem will be the waste water valve unless it is within a heated double floor. ( if it is then you have a fully winterised European van so you’ll fare much better) otherwise follow advice as above for clipping open and draining into a bucket.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you have an onboard tank and laeve your heating set to above freezing you are fine with fresh water, your problems if any will be dependent on your pipes i.e where they are routed, their bore and the insulation or heating around them that prevents them freezing - the let down of many British built vans and budget European ones. The other main, if not THE main problem will be the waste water valve unless it is within a heated double floor. ( if it is then you have a fully winterised European van so you’ll fare much better) otherwise follow advice as above for clipping open and draining into a bucket.

Good advice, do you still have your carthago A class?

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Good advice, do you still have your carthago A class?
Hiya, no we parted with it reluctantly a couple of years ago. We loved it and for living in whilst away in winter it was unbeatable but we were in need of a change as it was so big and heavy to drive. We have bought a Hymer exsis which is slimmer, lighter and generally more compact. Still miss the Carthago at times!

OP
OP
C

Casals98

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone. It is a budget French van but I think we will try it this year since we will have hook up and can leave the oil heater on. We have always left the waste water open over a bucket but with only two of us we won't fill the tank in a week so I'm guessing it'll just thaw when we come back to warmth so we can empty it.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I have Hymer 534 inboard tanks, which has frozen once due to not having heating on (gas) however many times been away and had no problems. As stated before its the pipework to the taps which are the main problems keep these wraped/insulated and away from draughts you should have no problems.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
As long as you can maintain a medium temperature inside, most motorhomes of newer dates have no problems as the fresh water tank, pipes and all is in the hot zone. Regarding grey water, if it's insulated you can close it, otherwise keep it open and let the grey water flow directly outside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back