scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
So - tomorrow we go for a test drive of the van we hope to buy - a Bailey Autograph. H has driven vans in the recent past and drove an RV in the States and so is quite confident but I haven't driven anything larger than a Peugeot 807. I'm a confident driver but have to admit to being a little nervous and I'm sure the van has doubled in size in my head! Can any of you remember your first time and do you have any advice, things I should watch out for - apart from taking out unsuspecting cyclists with the rear overhang!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd suggest early on spending an hour or two on dual carriageways or a motorway (I hate the boring things, but) just to acclimatise yourself and get to feel a bit at home with the driving position, visibility, vision scope of the mirrors, various internal noises, steering feel, accelerator and brake action, hand controls (e.g. indicators) and the effect of vehicles overtaking you..................and, relax! There's no need to hang on to the steering wheel with the grip of a Scotsman on a five pound note (yes, I know you're from 'up there' ;)) and make an effort to relax your shoulders or you'll be worn out after half an hour.
Out of all my vehicles, getting into the moho seat for a trip always makes me smile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For nurse

I forgot to mention and nobody else has.

Has the prospective MH got additional parabolic mirrors? In my view(pun) they are essential in a motorhome, for two reasons

Firstly, you are higher up than a car, although not as high as a truck cab, but it is still possible for a low car e.g sports to creep up alongside and get lost below the downward edge of the normal mirror - the parabolic mirror will pick it up, and also the rear roof corner of the MH. Trucks have them by law;)

Secondly, when joining a road at 45 degrees it is possible to see the oncoming traffic.

Caution and experience are needed to use the info they provide as the images make the vehicles seem further away than they are so some mental compensation is necessary.

Some MH mirros come with a small parabolic mirror in the lower half of the housing. To me they look too small to be of much use, especially on the side away from the driver. My MH did not have any parabolic, and as I had been driving trucks with them, they were the first extra I bought - fortunately finding a Merc pair which exactly fitted the curvature of the top of the housing of the main miror; just took out the main glass, drilled two holes and bolted them on - job done.

For just a few quid (I think mine were abouut £35 the pair, new from Merc van/truck parts 8 years ago) you will find that they pay their way in confidence that your manoeuvres are based on good info.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
We have just got our Bailey Autograph and it does come with the small, lower mirrors for cyclists etc. As has been said here, give yourself a bit more turning space than you would in the car and you will be fine. We live on Bodmin Moor and perhaps we are used to narrow roads but we haven't found anywhere yet that we can't safely get our van into. Having had many work vans before with no rear view mirrors, you get accustomed to driving and more importantly reversing using your mirrors. Just take your time and enjoy your new toy. :Grin:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Having had many work vans before with no rear view mirrors, you get accustomed to driving and more importantly reversing using your mirrors. Just take your time and enjoy your new toy. :Grin:

I like my reversing camera having been on the receiving end of a mouthy cyclist who was "resting" on the back of the van when I pulled away. It's amazing how vehicles "disappear" from view behind the van ...... "Can't see my mirrors ? I can't see you! "

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Its a shame that we haven't got a megaphone linked to the reversing camera only a microphone as it would scare the pants of cyclists when they hang on the back.;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
Well - we did it! Both I and the MH survived the test drive and got back with both mirrors intact! Because I drive a Peugeot already it was reassuring to find everything in the same place. We pick it up at the beginning of March which co-incides with a weeks a/l so will be able to go out to play - yay!!

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
'YouTube' - has some useful videos to peruse for guidance about driving motorhomes if you are not too confident.

Upvote 0

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
Well done on your test drive.
One place to especially careful in at the petrol station. Some times the space is limited to pull forward before having to turn so you have to watch the back end overhand and how much it swings out. Don't want to clip one of the pumps !
I try to leave as much room as possible between the van and the pump and/or choose the pump with the easiest exit route even if it means waiting a few minutes longer.

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We met a motorhomer travelling alone who had a toaster on the dash. When questioned he said it was his reference point to line up in the correct position on the road. The edge of the toaster put him in the right place!!! Maybe a loose object like that isn't a good idea but a piece of tape stuck on the dash could help you to judge the width at first.

That's what I did when we bought our 'van. Then I noticed that when I sat in my normal driving position with the 'van parked at the kerb, the bottom of the driver's side wiper mount lined up exactly with the kerb. By a combination of that, and watching the clearance by looking in the nearside mirror, I have never had a problem. But as others have said, watch for the overhang when making turns or pulling out of tight spaces.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We met a motorhomer travelling alone who had a toaster on the dash. When questioned he said it was his reference point to line up in the correct position on the road. The edge of the toaster put him in the right place!!! Maybe a loose object like that isn't a good idea but a piece of tape stuck on the dash could help you to judge the width at first.
I used a small clingy plastic pennant on the windscreen to line up (line of sight) with the left hand kerb.
Left hand drive RV at 11ft wide mirror edge to mirror edge.
Can't afford to drift right at that width and as long as the pennant point was in the gutter I was central in my lane.

And don't forget to swing a little wider at l/h 90° junctions or the rear wheel may mount the footpath/verge.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I used a small clingy plastic pennant on the windscreen to line up (line of sight) with the left hand kerb.
Left hand drive RV at 11ft wide mirror edge to mirror edge.
Can't afford to drift right at that width and as long as the pennant point was in the gutter I was central in my lane.

And don't forget to swing a little wider at l/h 90° junctions or the rear wheel may mount the footpath/verge.
Very similar to what I do, again LHD 2.75m wide. Along with the comment re swinging wider also remember the overhang behind the rear wheels when turning either way or reversing!!

Although we had driven Luton vans before both my lady and I got a lot out of a Caravan Club motorhome manouevering course. Shoukd have seen Mrs McHood at speed reversing round a roundabout and into a restricted parking spot. I would never of course admit that she was actually better at it than I was...:)

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I'm thinking a course might be a good idea. I've towed a trailer tent for years and a stock trailer but reversing a motorhome seems more nerve racking somehow!
Definitely very good value, did ours with CC.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I'm a relative novice but one thing to bear in mind when parking anywhere ( filling station/road/car park/supermarket/site) is that you have to get out of there somehow so consider your exit route/options before parking.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm a relative novice but one thing to bear in mind when parking anywhere ( filling station/road/car park/supermarket/site) is that you have to get out of there somehow so consider your exit route/options before parking.

I have even come across the odd parking area where there was no height barrier on tha entrance - only the exit Oh Please!:(

Just a tip; if one comes across a S/Market with height barriers then look at the 'Delivery' entrance - it sometimes connects to the normal CP. We found that at one E. Leclerc in France, where even the Information desk could not tell us how to shop with a 3m high MH. We just parked on the edge of the filling station and wheeled the trolley before we saw the 'Delivery' Entrance, with MHs next to it.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back