Ducato 2.3 E6 2017 EGR pipe recall (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Getting the hang of it from 2017
Has any one had this done.

Had a letter this morning about the EGR pipe recall. It says that the possibility of the fractured pipe may damage the alternator resulting in a loss of battery voltage and potentially a loss of engine power. Mine is a 2017 registered Fiat Ducato 130 E6.
I called The "Fiat Professional" local dealer this morning and they can do me in the new year that's a month away.
The letter says 1 hours work, dealer says 3 hours.
I did do a search on here no results came up

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's been mentioned a few times on MHF -

Ours needs doing but I've not arranged it yet.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We had the letter today too. We have three Fiat garages within a reasonable distance but I suspect at least one of them (the nearest, just a mile away) can't take large vehicles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago and got the garage to register my van on the system. Mine was checked and OK and the next time I looked at the Fiat app the traffic light had changed from red to green indicating all OK.
Yesterday I got a letter from Fiat informing me of the recall!!!!! Oh well at least I know my van is on their system now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Yep, received the letter this morning, phone the local Fiat professional garage to get it look at next week, reply from them was call us in the new year, when i queared the work to be done i got a long story about parts if required, photos of this and that to get the ok from Fiat to carry out the work, what a right cock up. So i said if i bring it in you can just look at the pipe and say yes or no it needs replacing, no he said, then gave me a long cop-out story.

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
I have a 2017 150 bhp and got the letter yesterday. Phoned the local Fiat dealer who has been really good so far with my continuing oil warning light faults. They also carried out an "essential software upgrade" advised by Fiat when my van was with them a few months ago. They have booked me in for Monday 18th Dec to see if it needs doing and it will be January if it does. They are quoting one hour to do the check and then anything up to 8 hours to carry out the work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My check took 2½ hours, I don't think they exactly hurried to get it on the ramp.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I’m in Spain and taking mine in tomorrow, ill let you know how I get on.

Mickey
Well, no luck because they needed to order the part and I’ll be back in UK next week, so I now have it booked in at bury st edmunds, but they have to inspect it before they can order the part, so it could be a while before I get it sorted.

OP
OP
NPlusM
Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Well, no luck because they needed to order the part and I’ll be back in UK next week, so I now have it booked in at bury st edmunds, but they have to inspect it before they can order the part, so it could be a while before I get it sorted.
Does this affect the performance of the engine?

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
I think the Fiat should make a goodwill gesture of an extra years warranty, its entirely their cockup and now we have to wait goodness how long before they supply the necessary parts to rectify the situation. How about re enbursment for the the travelling costs to go to the "Fiat Professionals", plus the road tax we have paid, but are advised not to use the vehicles.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
I will be picking my new Burstner (on a Fiat) up in March and I have asked the dealer to check the van with their Fiat garage to see if it will require a replacement EGR pipe. I have checked the VIN and it falls within the series for recalls. I have asked that I receive written notification that the Fiat garage has inspected it as part of the PDI whether or not it requires a replacement. Do people think this is a reasonable request?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I will be picking my new Burstner (on a Fiat) up in March and I have asked the dealer to check the van with their Fiat garage to see if it will require a replacement EGR pipe. I have checked the VIN and it falls within the series for recalls. I have asked that I receive written notification that the Fiat garage has inspected it as part of the PDI whether or not it requires a replacement. Do people think this is a reasonable request?
Yes, it's a know problem so should be sorted before you take delivery, not unreasnable at all.

OP
OP
NPlusM
Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Took the MoHo in to the "Fiat Professional" as arranged, bear in mind that when i booked it in they informed that they would to order the parts in that was 3 weeks ago.
Several hours later received a phone call to say yes it needed the mod but it will take a week or more to get the parts.............. they just did a soft ware upgrade.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Lenny for the affirmation - much appreciated.

Thanks NPlusM for the reply. So your MoHo didn't require new parts but they just did a software upgrade instead?

OP
OP
NPlusM
Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Yes it does need the pipe work, I was under the impression that they knew all about it and would have the bit on the shelf.
I can't take back for 4 weeks as the unit needs some warranty work on the roof now.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Never rains but it pisses down!

Sorry to hear you have more problems. I must say I wouldn’t share your optimism, albeit corect, that they should replacements on the shelf. Smacks of organisation.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Well reading all that makes me feel a bit better, as thought I was being rather pee'd about by FIAT Professional down here at Faro, Portugal. Dec '17, got informed by sister in law at home about a letter from FIAT UK to say needed to get vehicle to nearest Fiat dealer as it was possible my vehicle fell within the parameters of an EGR fault. Diagnosis should take no more than an hour. So 18 December to Fiat Professional at Faro, who booked me in for 'earliest' available date of Fri 5th Jan 17 at 0900. Duly arrived before said time and was booked in. 10:45 was told sorry can't do it as your vehicle is to big for the bays, come back Monday (8th). So arrive Monday 08:30, vehicle taken into workshop at 09:25. 10:00 mechanic appears (with English speaking receptionist, thankfully), yes your vehicle needs the part replacing, it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get the part please do not drive your vehicle, go to a campsite or camper stop and we will phone when available. Brilliant. Explained I normally just moved along the coastal area, and mechanic says, not to far in one go, 20 to 30 kms and to keep revs and speed down. So here we are still on the Algarve, thankfully in some lovely weather still awaiting the 'part' and also a suitable bay to get our wagon into.
Now I know Fiat and others do not do these recalls unnecessary as it costs them loadsa money, but surely if they know there's a potential problem with quite a few wagons (as there obviously is) then you'd think they'd have the parts available. 3 to 4 weeks to get a part from Italy (if indeed that's were they are made) to Portugal in this day and age, I think not. Hell I could have driven there and got the part myself. Oh S... no sorry can't drive it to far.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Now I know Fiat and others do not do these recalls unnecessary as it costs them loadsa money, but surely if they know there's a potential problem with quite a few wagons (as there obviously is) then you'd think they'd have the parts available. 3 to 4 weeks to get a part from Italy (if indeed that's were they are made) to Portugal in this day and age, I think not. Hell I could have driven there and got the part myself. Oh S... no sorry can't drive it to far.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, to be fair. When Fiat realised there was a problem that might result in damage or worse through continued use of the vehicle, however remote, should they make owners aware as soon as possible, arrange inspections and advise according to the condition of each inspected vehicle, or just bury their heads in the sand and keep their fingers crossed until such time as they've managed to arrange with their suppliers to design, manufacture and carry out at least some durability testing of the replacement parts, then acquire sufficient stock?

Having seen a photo of one of the faulty parts, it appears to have been manufactured by Borg Warner, although there may also be other suppliers. Where in the world they are physically manufactured is anyone's guess, but as with many parts on modern vehicles, they are unlikely to have been manufactured by Fiat, but produced for them to a required specification.

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Now over a month since part ordered but at least Fiat Professional phone line happy to talk about the factory shutting over Christmas, the reorganised parts department, the new DHL delivery contract. Was even told that they have sent a full kit to all dealers regardless of what was ordered by the dealer to avoid further delay. Was clearly told a safety recall and must not be driven so the Autobahn run cancelled. The dealer has been excellent but they can do nothing without the parts. Memories of my Fiat Panda many years ago off the road for 7 weeks while parts were on the way. Right hand drive Citroen PVC sliding door fell off in Germany 4 years ago and RHD parts available and door rehung in 36 hours. 2 Citroen and 1 Renault Motorhome with no parts problems. Why did I buy a Fiat? It broke down with 300 miles on clock and has been off road for almost two months in the year I have had it. Parts always the problem.

OP
OP
NPlusM
Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
I don't recall told not to drive it, just done 200 mile north for the warranty work on it. And then I need to get it back down south in 2 weeks.
Driving sensibly around the 56 mph mark.
Interestingly haven't seen anyone who has had the work done yet

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
I sent an email yesterday to Hayes in Walsall where we bought our motorhome from last year to query the fact that we had been told not to drive it whereas others had been told it was OK. Amazingly, Chris Hayes rang me this morning. They didn't know anything about the recall but instantly got onto the local Fiat Professional Centre in Birmingham who said, as long as the pipe/hose was not split, it was fine to drive. They had checked hundreds and had not found one split pipe. They suggested that possibly just one had split hence the recall. That's us off for a short break weekend after next then

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
For general information. Download the Fiat Camper app from Google play or similar, put in your details and it will ask you to put in your VIN. There will be a box that will tell you of any recalls or problems.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I had mine done last November, we were in Benidorm when I got notified on the Fiat app.
I drove the van 1,400 miles home without any problem, I contacted Platts Fiat Professional and they said that they New the parts needed and would take a few days to be delivered.
I took my van in at 8-30am and had a call at 11-15am that the van was ready for pick up.

John.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Update on ours. Spoke to Trafford Van Centre this morning, their parts are being delivered Monday/Tuesday next week and, because I had phoned up, they've booked us in for 8th February, two weeks today. If I hadn't rung I would probably still be waiting for a call in another month! I hope we haven't queue jumped :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back