Full timers, coming to an end (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It may be that some people who are contemplating going full-time are reading this in antcipation that they may return one day for whatever reason.

I am fairly well up in financial matters and I always advise the following points.

1 If you can buy and equip the MH without selling the house then try to keep it. Do the sums about what rent you can get, the agent's fees, what mortgage is costing(allowing for interest increases), but remember interest is deductible from the rent. Tenants pay the Council Tax and Utilities, so outgoings are repairs basically. The income will hopefully fund the full-timing, there may be capital gains and, if necessary, somewhere to return to where you know the area and people. On a short-hold tenancy after 1-2 years one can regain possession with 2 months notice.

2. Keep your UK address if you can by re-direction (but P.O. will only do it for 2 years), get friends /neighbours/agents to collect mail. This enables you to keep the address for Driving Licence(DVLA) and several other organisations which require one to have a UK address.

3. Keep your State Pension in the UK to preserve indexing. It can just go into your Current Account and you can use a Debit Card in an ATM to draw it out.

4 One problem difficult to overcome is vehicle registration, without another address somewhere, or the need to return to UK for MOT.

5 Of course one could sell the UK house buy on the Continent and re-register the vehicle, or if finances permitted keep the UK house and rent on the Continent and re-register. But wherever registerd one is subject to the testing regime in that country and return there for the test.

6 Make a UK Will and lodge it with Solicitors in UK - other countries can be a nightmare to sort out.

7 Health Insurance is a personal matter, but we feel comfortable with our Travel Insurance which includes some health cover - but we have enough funds to do a flight back(even air ambulance)

I hope this helps somebody who is wondering how to do it all and some of the aspects of returning.

We persoanally will probably only long- not full-term but with breaks leaving the MH parked flying home, which we do now, but with only shorter periods tourng - not long enough for me, but we have elderly family commitments.

Geoff

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We sold our house in the UK and bought one in France as a second residence. We still have a family property in the UK where we stay occasionally, but have no intention of returning permenantly to the UK whatever the circumstances. When we are too old to travel, then France will be our permanent home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If u ne
That may be the

That may be the rule but who enforces it,,,Someone i know does 4 months away twice a year,,,,,BUSBY,,
If u need someone else to pay your rent how on earth can you afford to go away for 4 months ? I am assuming not on holiday ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If u ne

If u need someone else to pay your rent how on earth can you afford to go away for 4 months ? I am assuming not on holiday ?

I suspect that there is less need here and more greed.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If u ne

But obviously they don't NEED someone to help or pay the rent,,thats just the legislation..Many on here receive Winter fuel allowance and £10 at Xmas,,free parking with a Blue Badge but don't need it but still accept it,,,Its Human Nature not to look a gift horse in the mouth,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I suspect that there is less need here and more greed.

I would like to know how many on here send their fuel allowance back ,,don't use their bus passes and decline concessions at Stately Homes etc etc,,Come on who does,,,BUSBY.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I would like to know how many on here send their fuel allowance back ,,don't use their bus passes and decline concessions at Stately Homes etc etc,,Come on who does,,,BUSBY.
Oh my God that appears to be the norm these days and I personally find it disgusting

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Oh my God that appears to be the norm these days and I personally find it disgusting

What appears the norm? BUSBY,,

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
What appears the norm? BUSBY,,
It’s my right so I will have it regardless . An example is I need paracetamol , I get them free so I’ll have a doctors appointment and get them on a prescription . £2.40 cost to NHS 24p if you buy yourself . But I am entitled to free prescriptions so do I care . Not a jot !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It’s my right so I will have it regardless . An example is I need paracetamol , I get them free so I’ll have a doctors appointment and get them on a prescription . £2.40 cost to NHS 24p if you buy yourself . But I am entitled to free prescriptions so do I care . Not a jot !

So what is wrong with people getting housing benefit? I to am on prescription,,,my expensive one i do get free on prescription,,but my pain killers are so cheap i do not burden the struggling NHS with the cost,,Think you will find with admin costs your paracetamol costs NHS quiet a lot more than £2.40 but don't you think at that price its an utter waste of money,,BUSBY,,,

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
So what is wrong with people getting housing benefit? I to am on prescription,,,my expensive one i do get free on prescription,,but my pain killers are so cheap i do not burden the struggling NHS with the cost,,Think you will find with admin costs your paracetamol costs NHS quiet a lot more than £2.40 but don't you think at that price its an utter waste of money,,BUSBY,,,

I have no problem with the needy getting any help they need but I do object to people who are well able to pay taking just because they can . My father like you was a type1 diabetic from age 20 and was eternally grateful for his free insulin given the NHS only came into being when he was young but like you other over the counter medication he bought even though he wa entitled to it free because he felt that was fair and he said he had his pride . There would be more for the needy if less were so greedy in all areas of benefit .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I have no problem with the needy getting any help they need but I do object to people who are well able to pay taking just because they can . My father like you was a type1 diabetic from age 20 and was eternally grateful for his free insulin given the NHS only came into being when he was young but like you other over the counter medication he bought even though he wa entitled to it free because he felt that was fair and he said he had his pride . There would be more for the needy if less were so greedy in all areas of benefit .

Well if thats how you think,,Stop wasting your doctors time getting a prescription and put your hand in your pocket and buy your own,,,BUSBY,,

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Well if thats how you think,,Stop wasting your doctors time getting a prescription and put your hand in your pocket and buy your own,,,BUSBY,,
I think you misunderstood I was not saying it was me but other people . Sorry if I wrote it in a way that was not clear . My son is a pharmacist in UK so that info came from him .

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I, from time to time, hear people say “ I know of someone that is getting payments from the government ( benefits) and should not, I suspect, be getting them” I have, to my recollection, only heard of 2 people that have asked the authorities to check into it and I am old......very old :)

I wonder how many on here would report such a suspicion.:whistle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think you misunderstood I was not saying it was me but other people . Sorry if I wrote it in a way that was not clear . My son is a pharmacist in UK so that info came from him .
Think you were speaking in the third party but not very clear,,,definitely misunderstood you but if you read your post it sounds as if its you scrounging,,BUSBY:)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Think you were speaking in the third party but not very clear,,,definitely misunderstood you but if you read your post it sounds as if its you scrounging,,BUSBY:)
Nope not me lol Sorry if it was a bit ambiguous ! I live in France so not me lol

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our doctors have a note up saying they no longer prescribe paracetamol.

Price of a prescription or 30p or less in Aldi.

I too think If your getting your rent paid by the government , because you can’t afford to pay it / haven’t got the means , doesn’t seem right.
How could you afford to go abroad for 4 months too ?

Though if your getting rent and other benefits , I suppose your quids in.

Like @ianthebuilder said earlier , those that have nothing , end up doing ok . You have to be wealthy or have nothing . Those in the middle......
Then end up having to sell up to get the same care as those that never owned property.

I had 1 gran with her own house , 1 gran in council rented property.
Both ended up in a home .
One had to use her house proceeds first till it was nearly gone.
The other got it free.
The one in rented property ( all their life ) had loads of savings too , from various disability benefits for being unable to walk far . She was fat so Her knees went . Neither smoked or drank . Just the odd tipple.
The one with the house was fit as a fiddle till she had a stroke and got dementia. Lived on basic pension . No savings. Paid all her own bills. Used to go into town shopping right up to being in her late 80’s. Did her own cooking etc.
The other had meals on wheel and carers going in , before going into a home up to 3 times a day. From being in her 70’s.

I’m sure if someone on the dole did the same thing , had rent paid etc etc lived on various benefits paid then went abroad for 4 months jollies it’d be all over the papers:laughing:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Our doctors have a note up saying they no longer prescribe paracetamol.

Price of a prescription or 30p or less in Aldi.

I too think If your getting your rent paid by the government , because you can’t afford to pay it / haven’t got the means , doesn’t seem right.
How could you afford to go abroad for 4 months too ?

Though if your getting rent and other benefits , I suppose your quids in.

Like @ianthebuilder said earlier , those that have nothing , end up doing ok . You have to be wealthy or have nothing . Those in the middle......
Then end up having to sell up to get the same care as those that never owned property.

I had 1 gran with her own house , 1 gran in council rented property.
Both ended up in a home .
One had to use her house proceeds first till it was nearly gone.
The other got it free.
The one in rented property ( all their life ) had loads of savings too , from various disability benefits for being unable to walk far . She was fat so Her knees went . Neither smoked or drank . Just the odd tipple.
The one with the house was fit as a fiddle till she had a stroke and got dementia. Lived on basic pension . No savings. Paid all her own bills. Used to go into town shopping right up to being in her late 80’s. Did her own cooking etc.
The other had meals on wheel and carers going in , before going into a home up to 3 times a day. From being in her 70’s.

I’m sure if someone on the dole did the same thing , had rent paid etc etc lived on various benefits paid then went abroad for 4 months jollies it’d be all over the papers:laughing:
Especially The Mail,,,:D:D:D:D BUSBY,,

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It used to be the case where it was cheaper to fly to Spain for the winter and spend a few months in all-inclusive hotels where the cost was lower than the expense of heating, food and bills etc. in grey UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It used to be the case where it was cheaper to fly to Spain for the winter and spend a few months in all-inclusive hotels where the cost was lower than the expense of heating, food and bills etc. in grey UK.

Think it possibly still is. Its as cheap to rent an apartment in some places than pay site fees,,Also can be cheaper to rent a static on a site in the sun than pay site fees,,BUSBY,,

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Can I get housing benefit for a cheap apartment in sunny Spain!!! Lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I believe minxy said this was changing at sometime in the near future to not being deductible.
Yes when renting out a property which has a mortgage on it you used to be able to deduct the full cost of the interest payment from your taxable income (not the capital though) but now it is reducing by 25% of the interest payment each year but this has been offset by a tax allowance which for basic rate tax payers doesn't appear to make any change to the final figure but for higher rate payers could make quite a difference, some info on this thread:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/pay-less-taxation-how-time-for-full-timing.166763/

One thing to do if you want to let out your own home which still has a mortgage on it is to contact your mortgage provider before you go down that road and make sure they'll allow you to keep the existing mortgage if it becomes a rental property as many won't and insist you change to a 'buy to let' mortgage - could prove a costly mistake if you don't get their permission and have to take out a more expensive B2L one.

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No

Assuming you go to the doctors once a month for your free prescription, that's a full day of your life you lose every 2 years, For the sake of £5.76.
15 minutes travel there, 15 minutes waiting, 15 minutes speaking to the doctor and 15 minutes travel back, obviously that includes parking ect.
I don't have an issue with you getting free medication but is that £2.88 a year worth tying up a doctors time for?
I understand it's your right to a "free"prescription but it costs the nhs a lot more than the £2.40 you claim. Rates need paid, electricity needs paid, cleaners need paid, receptionist need paid and doctors need paid.t

Read the rest of the thread and realise you weren't meaning yourself

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back