Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Motorhome Medics http://www.motorhomemedics.co.uk
They are in with a coach company who do the Mots, really good couple of guys. Phoned me up one year when they were doing the service and said " no point in doing an oil change, you ain't been nowhere since last time".
We go shopping in Cheltenham while they do it. Briarfields campsite just up the road, handy but a bit dear, we use court farm at Twigworth near Gloucester.

Ollie
Thanks for that. I know where they are now, in with Swanbrook Coaches.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure of your van year. 2005 is it?

If everybody had your philosophy of not buying without a full habitation history then about 3 used vans a year would be sold I think.
It's a 2008 2 owner from new

I guess my philosophy is just mine , I never buy a vehicle with more than 2 previous owners and unless it has a very good history I don't touch it.
The more expensive that vehicle is the fussier I get.
One of the main reasons I got that garage to do the work was to continue the history for resale purposes as I want the van to retain most of its value in the short time I'll have it.

I'll be selling it in January/February 2019

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Northernraider, was in Phillips today getting some stuff out our van, they charge £75+vat per hour for labour, so the £50+vat you were charged seems not too bad, relatively?? Number of hours, no idea.
Bill

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you had a leak, you would have smelt
That is my opinion 100% , from the threads i have read from people that have had the fuel filter housing fail while driving have said about the smell of Diesel and also the extreme loss of Diesel from the tank.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've read about the issues with these filter housings since this was done and how much of a pain they are which leads me to believe the technition doing the job has broke it when changing the filter ....theyve spent most of day one trying to repair it or disguise it and when time has ran out he's had to tell me it wasn't ready to give them more time next day to fix it .....then they have fitted the only part they could get at short notice and I've paid the cost of that and the time they wasted doing it.
I would say you are 100% correct.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That is my opinion 100% , from the threads i have read from people that have had the fuel filter housing fail while driving have said about the smell of Diesel

Diesel and anti freeze stink like hell especially if spilt or touches a hot engine.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
BTW has anyone here changed one of the Complete UFI fuel filter units themselves ??
Is it easy to do ?? and do the hoses snap in like push fit fixings or are they like jubile clipped

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider, was in Phillips today getting some stuff out our van, they charge £75+vat per hour for labour, so the £50+vat you were charged seems not too bad, relatively?? Number of hours, no idea.
Bill
It's not the hourly rate I'm not happy with ....its being charged it for work that was possibly not required and wasn't agreed

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Could it be that the previous owner or mechanic had broken the filter housing and bodged or glued it back together so you go to change the filter it all falls apart? Even so they should have phoned you up. If it was me I would try putting a inline fuel filter on it but then I'm a tightwad.....

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could it be that the previous owner or mechanic had broken the filter housing and bodged or glued it back together so you go to change the filter it all falls apart? Even so they should have phoned you up. If it was me I would try putting a inline fuel filter on it but then I'm a tightwad.....
Anything is possible of course , although the previous owner seems to have used the same garage for the 7 years he owned the van and a detailed set of receipts from him of all work done.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Motorhome Medics http://www.motorhomemedics.co.uk
They are in with a coach company who do the Mots, really good couple of guys. Phoned me up one year when they were doing the service and said " no point in doing an oil change, you ain't been nowhere since last time".
We go shopping in Cheltenham while they do it. Briarfields campsite just up the road, handy but a bit dear, we use court farm at Twigworth near Gloucester.
Glad to see they're still going, used them about 20 yrs ago when we had an RV, would def recommend them..
Cheers, Dave:xThumb:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Not sure if my credit card company would take any action or not ....
If you paid by credit card and the bill was over £100,which it was, as I understand it the credit card company are liable it would be worth contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau and asking their advice,you’ve got nothing to lose.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always showed replaced parts to customers and informed them that unless an exchange item it was in my opinion their property. Don't remember anyone taking anything away.

Our local Indy garage does that and asks that we take the old part away and put in our bin. We only live down the road :) He says that way no one can say he shows the same damaged part over and over again.

Mind we often have to wait 6 or 8 weeks for the invoice (always paid the same or next day) and on more than one occasion chase him for the bill!!! And then check the addition carefully as it has been known to be added up incorrectly (in our favour).

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you paid by credit card and the bill was over £100,which it was, as I understand it the credit card company are liable it would be worth contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau and asking their advice,you’ve got nothing to lose.
Yes I plan to look in to that in Monday

Ismbardbrunel

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Off and on for a few yrs
Iv'e done vehicle repairs for over 30 yrs and if there is likely to be a problem in a service/or work in general like rusted bolts may snap, (Exhaust manifold Example) i have always told before i do the job what could be the outcome......i'm sure these people would/should of been aware of this problem, being in their line of work..

Had they explained this likely outcome, things would probably been better for all involved...
Yes, i agree, this stinks...there will be no winners, as the company is named..and you will have to go through all this trouble to get some kind of recourse? Good luck, i would need the receipt, and the old part...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
For all you know they may have done exactly what they said, and the faults may have been genuine. Not all garages are rip off merchants.
£50 an hour labour is a bargain, here in Ipswich around £75 for the smaller and £100 or more for main dealers is the norm.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
For all you know they may have done exactly what they said, and the faults may have been genuine. Not all garages are rip off merchants.
£50 an hour labour is a bargain, here in Ipswich around £75 for the smaller and £100 or more for main dealers is the norm.

I agree, but a simple phone call to the customer is all it takes. When I am repairing a roof and my customer obvioulsy doesnt get onto his/her roof to know what is going on, I would take a picture and show them, they then have the chance to leave it or get me to fix it as extra. They would be well cheesed off if I presented them with an invoice saying, "oh by the way I replaced all the lead on your chimney as it was leaking" :xgrin:

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I find it strange that a kit has not been supplied to modify the fuel filters to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Duca...814631?hash=item3f8de944e7:g:KQ0AAOSwP4FaIYla as fiat seem to fit it to later models would just require new push on ends for the pipes and a different electrical connector, after all they knew the old units were prone to leaks thats why they changed to the metal filter . and so cheap to buy.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
[QUOTE="Northernraider, post: 2628646

You'll notice they made a comment regarding the screws on the air filter box being difficult to remove.

He told me they removed them with vice grips as they were rounded .......guess what
They also refitted the same screws with vice grips instead of changing a few screws that would have cost pennies ......but happy to fit the most expensive filter housing lol

I don't understand that logic[/QUOTE]

Question; If those screws are still there I would remove 'those' screws in the presence of a reliable witness (possibly involving a video camera.)
He told you he had changed that filter. My 'nose' tells me that he is telling you 'porkies'.
If that one thing is confirmed to to be a false statement, my next port of call would be legal advice.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just to plug in for diagnostics it is £85 plus vat at the cheapest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The top of the casing on the X250 filter screws on but if the correct tool is not used the casing cracks thats what happens when people just put them in a vice. If the correct tool is used and they are tightened to the correct torque no problems. Nearly all cracked filters occur after the vehicle has been serviced sometimes even when done by main dealers.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To clarify it's the fuel filter housing that's been replaced.

The troublesome screws were on the air filter housing....they removed them with vice grips and put the same ones back in apparently which seems stupid to me.

There's a lot of suspect issues with the service.

I'm going to call them tommorrow and insist they give me the receipt for the filter housing they would have got this from fiat ...i need this for the part guarantee.and no reason why I can't have it.
I also want a detailed description of exactly what was done in the full mechanical service they gave a check sheet for the hab service why not for the mechanical service.

Id like the old parts back ...but I suspect those will be long gone.

I can't prove the leak was caused by him that's difficult....but If he can't provide me with a receipt for the part and tell me where he bought it so I can verify it with them then that is very suspect.

There are only 2 fiat dealerships within 50 mile radius.....

That receipt will not only provide some guarantee of the part but also prove the price he charged me is correct ....there should be no valid reason why he doesn't have it

Or if he says the supplier didn't give him it then a simple call to that supplier should be able to get a duplicate in my thinking.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It isn't the hourly rate I'm disputing it's whether the work was required in the first place or if indeed the mechanic damaged the part doing the service and I'm paying the cost of his negligence that's my complaint along with the price of the part he fitted but hasn't proved the cost of it.
If he bought the part from somewhere else at £100 And charged me the dealer price of £289 thats not right.

And 4 hours to replace that part and fit 3 hose clips and refill coolant is excessive

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
To clarify it's the fuel filter housing that's been replaced.

The troublesome screws were on the air filter housing....they removed them with vice grips and put the same ones back in apparently which seems stupid to me.

There's a lot of suspect issues with the service.

I'm going to call them tommorrow and insist they give me the receipt for the filter housing they would have got this from fiat ...i need this for the part guarantee.and no reason why I can't have it.
I also want a detailed description of exactly what was done in the full mechanical service they gave a check sheet for the hab service why not for the mechanical service.

I can't prove the leak was caused by him that's difficult....but If he can't provide me with a receipt for the part and tell me where he bought it so I can verify it with them then that is very suspect.

That receipt will not only provide some guarantee of the part but also prove the price he charged me is correct ....there should be no valid reason why he doesn't have it

Or if he says the supplier didn't give him it then a simple call to that supplier should be able to get a duplicate in my thinking.

The Highlighted and large font sentence is what I'm referring to. Have you had those rusted screws off?
If not, get them off in front of a witness with a video and have a look at that Air Filter. If that hasn't been changed then you have evidence that's more than circumstantial evidence.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The Highlighted and large font sentence is what I'm referring to. Have you had those rusted screws off?
If not, get them off in front of a witness with a video and have a look at that Air Filter. If that hasn't been changed then you have evidence that's more than circumstantial evidence.
Yeah I know that's the ones you were referring to I was clarifying for someone else that had commented thinking it was screws on the new part.

I've not had them off as I was ill the day I got the van back and for a few days after so hadn't left my mum's house and then I've been working 3 x 12 hour shifts since Friday.

I'm off tomorrow so I plan to phone the garage ask for the receipt and details of service in writing or a tick sheet as trading standards recommended this.
Then armed with that I'm going to check what's on that sheet and see if it's been done.
If I can I'll get the mechanic I normally take cars to ( with issues I can't do myself) to have a look with me as a witness.
Trading standards did suggest getting quotes from 2 other garages for the work done to compare etc but again it's difficult to prove that the filter wasn't leaking prior to them getting it.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

I'm not sure, if the garage are obliged to provide their parts invoice.
Their invoice from Fiat will contain business sensitive information and frankly has nothing to do with you.
Your contract is with the garage, not Fiat unfortunately.
You wouldn't buy your shopping at Tesco and ask them to provide their invoices, or go to the corner shop and ask for a copy of the Booker invoice.
If you're suggesting that the garage has acted fraudulently, that's a matter of involving Trading Standards and independent inspections.

I agree that the garage has acted poorly. They should've contacted you to discuss the works before commencing.
At least you would of had the option to visit an approved workshop and receive a standard Europe-wide warranty.
Most independent garages will offer a 12month parts guarantee, so all is not lost.
In the event of a failure whilst abroad, you would hope that the garage would cover the cost of repair (mine would without hesitation).
I would try to keep the garage onside, as even with a parts receipt from Fiat, what are the chances of a straight forward warranty claim if abroad? Your best option would still be to contact the supplying garage, imo.

The whole saga is a pigs ear, you never expected the additional works (necessary or not), the garage communication (and possibly workmanship) was poor and you don't feel that you've received value for money.
Put it down to experience and move on, I can't see how you will achieve a 'successful' outcome on this one...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not sure, if the garage are obliged to provide their parts invoice.
Their invoice from Fiat will contain business sensitive information and frankly has nothing to do with you.
Your contract is with the garage, not Fiat unfortunately.
You wouldn't buy your shopping at Tesco and ask them to provide their invoices, or go to the corner shop and ask for a copy of the Booker invoice.
If you're suggesting that the garage has acted fraudulently, that's a matter of involving Trading Standards and independent inspections.

I agree that the garage has acted poorly. They should've contacted you to discuss the works before commencing.
At least you would of had the option to visit an approved workshop and receive a standard Europe-wide warranty.
Most independent garages will offer a 12month parts guarantee, so all is not lost.
In the event of a failure whilst abroad, you would hope that the garage would cover the cost of repair (mine would without hesitation).
I would try to keep the garage onside, as even with a parts receipt from Fiat, what are the chances of a straight forward warranty claim if abroad? Your best option would still be to contact the supplying garage, imo.

The whole saga is a pigs ear, you never expected the additional works (necessary or not), the garage communication (and possibly workmanship) was poor and you don't feel that you've received value for money.
Put it down to experience and move on, I can't see how you will achieve a 'successful' outcome on this one...
I am sorry I know you probably said at the beginning but don't want to trawl through it again but did you complain or say anything at the time you paid, if not I don't think you will get any joy out of them tomorrow, they will just say everything's gone now and you won't be able to say any different.
Edit, I probably put the wrong quote on there but I was addressing the op.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back