Finally, Some Photos of the new 2018 Mercedes Sprinter (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting to read they will have a front wheel drive version and the reasons why.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The badge will always sell it to a lot of people doesn't matter whether its any good or not. Wonder what the results would be of driving reports on different vans not knowing the make (if it were possible)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Ours friends recently bought a new Auto Sleeper and paid in the region of an extra 14K just for the Mercedes front. IMHO it was complete waste of money the Fiat is a great piece of kit. However, can see the slight advantage of RWD but not at that price. They paid almost 83K for an Merc Auto Sleeper. I would have bought a German A Class with Fiat engine, but then again we are all different. Oh and they picked it because the layout was the closest to the caravan they were getting rid of....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never mind the outside look at the awful dash options! Looks like someone's stuck an 80s boom-box in it! No proper glove box or central storage compartment. IMV awful.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm the worlds biggest fan of Sprinters, but I'm seriously underwhelmed here. I agree with Mel's views on dashboard, it looks dreadful.
The Transit has been playing catch up since the first Sprinters were launched, but to me Ford are looking like they're ahead of the game & likely to build on that work.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was on of Sprinters biggest fans. I also prefer RWD, even in my Small Sprinter SWB Traveliner.

But after 3 Sprinter Motorhomes, a Eura Mobil With SprintShift, Frankia 3 Litre Manual and La Strada 3 Litre Auto. I have to say, I am very ddisappointed. If the reliability and longevity of parts was not bad enough. Mercedes dealerships service has been shocking.

Our 2000 Hymer Fiat does everything the Expensive Mercedes have and better. Alebeit without ESP, Power and RWD.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No proper glove box or central storage compartment.
Just like a Fiat then, well the Fiat has got a tiny one in front of the passenger but too small to be useful but at least you can retro fit the big one.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Ours friends recently bought a new Auto Sleeper and paid in the region of an extra 14K just for the Mercedes front. IMHO it was complete waste of money the Fiat is a great piece of kit. However, can see the slight advantage of RWD but not at that price. They paid almost 83K for an Merc Auto Sleeper. I would have bought a German A Class with Fiat engine, but then again we are all different. Oh and they picked it because the layout was the closest to the caravan they were getting rid of....
Picking a motorhome that’s like a caravan is more common than you think, we was guilty of that. It does take some getting your head around how different yet similar caravaning and motorhome is. If we was all clever and knew all the answers there would be no MHF, haha.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I was on of Sprinters biggest fans. I also prefer RWD, even in my Small Sprinter SWB Traveliner.

But after 3 Sprinter Motorhomes, a Eura Mobil With SprintShift, Frankia 3 Litre Manual and La Strada 3 Litre Auto. I have to say, I am very ddisappointed. If the reliability and longevity of parts was not bad enough. Mercedes dealerships service has been shocking.

Our 2000 Hymer Fiat does everything the Expensive Mercedes have and better. Alebeit without ESP, Power and RWD.

You should have a bought an early or late 90,s sprinter Trev, 2.9 122bhp OM602, after that they went downhill.

My old mate mechanic, god rest his soul, said they got crap after about 2000, he used to say to me this when he was looking around yards for merc vans to buy.
''If the gearstick's on the floor, rush around and buy some more
But if the gearstick's on the dash, get outa there in a flash''

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
New Crafter every time, just a pity non of the Merc or VW offerings are as wide as the PSA Peugeot Citroën and Fiat product.

I'm a T5/T6 fan but have had a MWB Crafter as a courtesy vehicle for a couple of days which gave me the chance to try it out with a view to a future Self-build and was impressed with the drive and handling.

Rod

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Function should matter far more than form. I've had two Merc moho's, both with next to no problem and a joy to drive. I hate the (2016) Fiat. It has been a major disappointment and already spent weeks at the garage. Given half a chance, I'd go back to Merc, whatever the cost.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You should have a bought an early or late 90,s sprinter Trev, 2.9 122bhp OM602, after that they went downhill.

My old mate mechanic, god rest his soul, said they got crap after about 2000, he used to say to me this when he was looking around yards for merc vans to buy.
''If the gearstick's on the floor, rush around and buy some more
But if the gearstick's on the dash, get outa there in a flash''

Our gearstick on the floor did 250,000 trouble free miles.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
After owning 2 front wheel drive Hymers for 12 years each (Total 230,000 miles) I was always pleased with them. But after putting 37,000km on our V6 auto Merc in 18 months I can honestly say it is a different World altogether. People notice how quiet the engine is, the handling of the Mercedes chassis with electronic gizmos is like a sports car. But probably the most noticeable thing is the traction from rear wheel drive, I could never entertain driving up a wet sloping field in either Fiat. I love it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back