Garmin Camper 770 Heads Up (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yesterday 17 Oct 2017 Garmin released software update for this model. having updated mine I have found an issue which the update introduced. On any where to search including campsite data, the result will shows list but when switching to birds eye views as to see the locations on the map the icons are no longer operative, they show but touching them gives no information about the location. For example, searching for petrol stations shows an icon but touching it does not give the details, Shell, Murco etc. The same apples to any there search, a restaurant icon appears but detail of what it is cannot be be obtained.

This functionality has been very useful but the glitch now makes use of the sat nav more difficult. I have sent some time wi5th Halfords who contacted Garmin for me. It was agreed this is a software issue which need to be updated. In the meantime if anyone has the same issue as this after updting they should report it to Garmin as they say they will only issue investigator update when they receive report of malfunctions from customers. If you have updated and have problem, I understand its possible via Garmin support to install earlier software which would solve the matter temporarily until an update becomes available.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have just completed the update and have the same issue. Will contact Garmin. I suspect we will have to wait for the next update for this to be corrected.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Reply from Garmin. Which I'm in the middle of. will post results later.
Dear Philip,

Thank you for contacting us, I would suggest reinstalling the maps on the device. As these Points of interest are embedded into the map data itself. So firstly just make sure your Garmin Express is up to date: .

Once you have the latest version 5.7.1.0 then could you please do the following to reinstall the maps:

Reinstall or change map coverage using Garmin Express

It is possible to use Garmin Express to reinstall a map region or change the map coverage loaded to a Garmin GPS.

This can be useful in the following situations:

• A partial map region was installed to the device, but a different region is desired
  • Full coverage is desired, but a partial region of the map was installed previously
  • The map is no longer present because it was accidentally deleted or on an SD card that can no longer be used
To do this on Windows and Mac OS X:

1. Connect a compatible Garmin device to the computer
  2. Open Garmin Express
  3. Select the Garmin device on the home page
  4. Click Map Options
  5. Click Reinstall Map or Change Map1
    • Click Reinstall Map to reinstall the same map region
    • Click Change Map to choose a different map region
  6. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
  7. Click Continue

When selecting the Change Map option, if the GPS has sufficient space, the largest map region available for the device will be downloaded and installed. If there is not sufficient space and the device has a microSD/SD card inserted with sufficient storage, Garmin Express will automatically detect the card and ask for confirmation to use it for the map update.2 Click Continue to use the card, and the installation will proceed automatically.

If there is not sufficient space on the GPS and no microSD/SD card inserted:

1. The program will acknowledge that there is not enough space on the device's internal memory for the map update
  2. Options will be provided based on the device being updated:
    • Use a Memory Card2 - Choose this option to install the largest available region to a compatible microSD/SD card. Insert a card with sufficient available space for the update into the GPS. Once the card is detected, click Continue to begin the map update.
    • Choose a Region - Choose this option to install a smaller map region to the device. Choose the appropriate available region from the drop down list then click Continue to install it
Garmin Express will display the progress as it installs the map to the device. After the process is completed, the desired map will be installed.

1The reinstall or change map option is only available if the maps on the device are up to date. If there is a new update available, coverage will be determined automatically.
2Not all Garmin GPS devices support installation of map updates directly to a memory card. For more information, see Related Content.

Kind regards,

David

Garmin Europe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Just purchased a 770 and would love to update using garmin express but Lenovo windows 10 laptop will not recognise any of my sat navs. Any ideas?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Updated my 760 today... pure coincidence that I did... then just noticed this tread... However, after a software and map update.... and just checking functionality... all seems fine .... so it appears that it's model (770) specific..

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
got a 660 not.plugged into computer for ages. think will ignore any update for now.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No joy ! another email sent to customer support !

I did a hard reset twice then reinstalled the map which made no difference. I should have mentioned previously that when I first took the unit back to Halfords yesterday evening they exchanged it for a new one. The new one worked fine until I updated the software and that’s when the problem occurred. At that stage I had not updated the map so I would say that it is software related and not map related. I imagine the POI may well be on the map but it’s the software that controls their display.

I have a video of the Halfords display unit working perfectly and s video of my after update unit which does not. I will be contacting Garmin again tomorrow and be offering them the video evidence and will report back on my progress, or not.

Incidentally, Halfords were as helpful as they could be but we agreed it’s a problem that Garmin need to correct and that there is little point in exchanging my unit for yet another one.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect Garmin know it's all to do with the recent update and I expect another one soon to correct this error.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Send me your email address by a pm and I will forward you my email from Garmin. I think the guy who wrote to me does not have a clue.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Update,

I spoke to Garmin today and happily the person on the other end of the phone was able to understand the issue. I sent them an email describing the fault and was told they will look into the matter to see what can be done. I am waiting for a reply but will give it a few days before reminding them. It seems that once an issue is described they will look at it and if they think its a fault investigate what can be done.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The latest map update on 14 Dec has further ruined my device and I know of others who have the same problem. As well as a previously mentioned fault where map icons became inoperable the latest update has now removed all references to ACSI, Motorhome Fun and NKC poi's as well as all their icons, they no longer appear on the device in any way. I have contacted Garmin and await a reply. Please don't update, but if you have I would urge you to contact Garmin Support asap.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The latest map update on 14 Dec has further ruined my device and I know of others who have the same problem. As well as a previously mentioned fault where map icons became inoperable the latest update has now removed all references to ACSI, Motorhome Fun and NKC poi's as well as all their icons, they no longer appear on the device in any way. I have contacted Garmin and await a reply. Please don't update, but if you have I would urge you to contact Garmin Support asap.
I started a thread on this yesterday, it looks like everybody who has installed the update has lost all of these services. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/garmin-camper-sat-nav-770lmt-d.166153/#post-2626530

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Update...

Garmin have updated Garmin Express today and the loss of ACSI etc has been resolved. The map need to be reinstalled and the POI database for the items as well as the menu icons will reappear. The previously reported fault still awaits a fix,

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
An update. Garmin have been in touch and they say they have found a solution to the icon issue which is currently being tested and should be rolled out in a software update by end of Jan.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks Garmin. I have updated my 770 and all is working correctly now. I would recommend that users first delete their present version of Garmin express and re install it before installing updates.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks Garmin. I have updated my 770 and all is working correctly now. I would recommend that users first delete their present version of Garmin express and re install it before installing updates.

Edit. I am advised by a forum member that if you're OS is Windows Vista the latest versions of Garmin Express will not install on that OS and you'll be unable to reinstall the older version (and Garmin don't make it available either).

So, If you're on Vista, do not update it beyond Garmin Express V.5.5.0.0

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Further to the above. As this device has WiFi the update can be installed via that without the need of using a laptop/computer connection.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Edit. I am advised by a forum member that if you're OS is Windows Vista the latest versions of Garmin Express will not install on that OS and you'll be unable to reinstall the older version (and Garmin don't make it available either).

So, If you're on Vista, do not update it beyond Garmin Express V.5.5.0.0

Does this info affect the 760?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No this is model specific I have not heard of anyone who has has the same issues with the 760
Not had an issue with our 760.
ps, I've got a copy of Garmin Express 5.4.0.0 installer (not quite the latest for XP and Vista) kicking about somewhere if anybody is stuck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back