Remoska ? Double skillet? Mr D s? Electric griddle? (1 Viewer)

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Well the cadac barbecue is safely stored beside the beauclaire in the shed probably not seeing light of day till one of the kids adopt them. We have a hymer ....high oven .... rubbish grill .not wanting to buy something else to store in shed so which of the above do you think most useful? I suppose it's all, down to personal choice at end of the day but I'm a sucker for gadgets. Also I'm no Mary Berry or sadly not Nigella either.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It depends on what sort of cooking you like to do----You can't fry with a ramoska, you can't cook a roast on a griddle, and if you like to cook quick meals a Mr d might frustrate you, the double skillet you can use on the hob------ we tried one and didn't like it!!.
Also----- how is your electric situation???? If you have big solar set-up or use EHU a lot an electric appliance could work for you.
We, personally like the ramoska as we can cook with it while travelling or use it from solar/inverter when parked. It is quite versatile and very easy to clean, (unlike your cadac that is parked-up!!) But it does use quite a bit of battery power when parked off EHU------------ no problem when driving, as long as you are sensible.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have to disagree with @Sundowners about cadacs being difficult to clean, our small one mark 2 is just as easy to clean as our remoskas. when on hook up it is our second most used thing after the kettle. Agree it all depends on your cooking style. we didn't use the cadac this week, as it was very windy and we forgot the windbreak and the clothes whirlygig, but did use the full oven and the remoska and the hob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
We don't have an inverter so would only be able to use remoska when on ehu . We like acsi but do the Aires/stellplatz if we go high season . I have an old skillet which I've used for years so needs replacing. What do folk cook en route in a mr ds ?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Big fans of Remoska here. Got one in last van because there wasn't an oven. Current van has an oven, but still use Remoska - so versatile and uses very little energy, rated at 400 watts - though we only use it with a hook-up.

So enthusiastic in fact, that we have for a few years had a second one in the kitchen at home and use it all the time. Much cheaper and often more convenient than the electric oven (not on mains gas at home).

Have a double skillet, but don't use it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It would be one of the older double skillets for me if I could get one. The new ones are a bit small but may be OK for you.

Currently use a Remoska but have only recently got it so only used a couple of times but quite like it. We use it with an inverter.

Wasn't impressed with the Mr D but others seem to like them.

Denise

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would be one of the older double skillets for me if I could get one. The new ones are a bit small but may be OK for you.
One on Ebay at the moment:

As it appears to have ben listed twice at £50 + £10 P&P yo ucould try an offer as they've upped the P&P to £12.50 which seems excessive (£10 is OTT IMV), if you want it see if they'll allow you to organise your own courier.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've specced my new van with just 2 gas rings and no oven or grill or microwave.
I have a mini-electric hob which I can use when on EHU, and a mini-gas hob too so can use outdoors.
Mr D's will do a long cook once heated properly to start with - so a start on gas or electric if I'm on a long drive or walk and want something warm at the end of the day.
Double skillet works "live" as a fry pan, saucepan, wok, or oven if I want to do something quick.
I'm a great fan of one-pan cooking - stir-fry, stew etc - or I can do a fried egg/ mushrooms/ tomatoes/ beans in one go in one or both pans of the skillet.
If I was only taking one of these (which may well turn out to be the case) it would be the double skillet as it's much more versatile and takes up less space, and is easier to wash in a small sink.

As others have said, it depends on your preferred cooking/ eating style, but also on space available for storage and washing.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have 2 double skillets and a Mr D, not had the Mr D. Long so still learning, but would not be with out my double skillet, in 14 years in Hymer without oven or grill, I don't think there is much I have not managed to cook in my skillet (that's why I bought another spare) you can cook a joint or jacket potato make a cheese toasty, use them as frying pans, ordinary pans or what they are designed to do, so my preferance would be the skillet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby is very impressed with the standard (old style) Remoska we have, he took some convincing to give it a go but since then he uses it in preference to anything else at home ... he's also got a halogen multi-cooker thingy ... don't ask me what it is but it looks a bit like a flying saucer and he is quite keen on that too.

For the camper I did buy a Mr D's but they're quite large and storing them in a camper van isn't the easiest thing and we never know in a morning what we'll have for tea so we never actually used it and I sold it to another funster. We had a large double skillet and used to use it a lot in previous MHs but since we changed to campers the hobs tend to be smaller so it was too big so I sold it along with the spare new one I had (don't ask!) and now have the smaller one which fits our hob perfectly and is used for all sorts of things.

We've also had various types of BBQ and now have a suitcase BBQ which uses canisters, it's a very good piece of kit and the canisters can be got virtually anywhere:
3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg

We also tend to use a suitcase gas canister stove with a frying pan on it, or a griddle which are really good and can be used inside as well as outside:

gas stove.jpg

gourmet grill.JPG

Weighing it all up, the double skillet definitely comes out top.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Looking like I can save some money. Probably remoska will work out an expensive option seeing as we don't always have ehu . Storage of mr d would be a problem. A new smaller skillet to supplement old one seeming to be best suggestion . Thanks for all advice .... it's cleared the waters!!!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We love our Remoska - have a small one in the motorhome & a large one at home - it cooks the best ever chicken!:inlove: Mr Ds is great too especially the new 3l but need to plan ahead. Never tried the double skillet but use a heavy pan with tri-ply base & lid for dutch oven type cooking when just on gas - a hot dry pan can cook toast, part baked rolls etc too. Small pressure cooker too for speed & using less gas. Small induction hob or hotplate is handy if on hook up & can then also cook outside (y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Looking at the eBay listing @Minxy Girl it is described as never taken from the box. I wonder how they took the photos ? :rofl:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I use my Remoska a lot but have an on board generator and inverter when off EHU. I also use my Mr D's a lot which is the smaller one as only 2 of us.

I have a new double skillet that I've only used once so just collecting dust in the cupboard.

We have a very small BBQ similar to the one @Minxy Girl pictures above which we use regularly and I have a wok type pan and small milk pan for the stove top or BBQ.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
We use a halogen oven and think it's brilliant but can only really use it on EHU we also have a George foreman grill/flatbed which has made our cadac redundant whilst again on hook up

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
I use my Remoska a lot but have an on board generator and inverter when off EHU. I also use my Mr D's a lot which is the smaller one as only 2 of us.

I have a new double skillet that I've only used once so just collecting dust in the cupboard.

We have a very small BBQ similar to the one @Minxy Girl pictures above which we use regularly and I have a wok type pan and small milk pan for the stove top or BBQ.

Nov 20, 2017
Caerfyrddin / Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2017
We too have a Remoska; we would not be without one. Superb 'cooker' purchased some 6 years ago from Lakeland. Ideal for use in a caravan, motorhome or in the house! Have considered air fryers but cannot see how these would score over the versatility of a Remoska.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have a Mr D only had it a short time. I love that on a morning I can put a whole chicken, or gamon joint, or brisket joint in it bring it to the boil for a few mins then seal it up for the day and forget about it for 5/6hrs then I have a twin pot stainless steel steamer I put new potatoes in the bottom veg on top on onto gas hob hey presto 10mins later open Mr D joint hot meat with veg lovely cooked evening meal. Would not be without it. Love curries, chillies, stews, cooked in there. The meals we cook are all healthy options for us which is another added bonus of owning a Mr D
Kate

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Im a Remoska fan also, and use mine at home and in the van - wouldn’t be without it. I also have a small slow cooker in the van which is predominantly used in winter. When on EHU just throw meat and veg in in the morning and eat at night - sorted with minimal washing up!

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I too have sucommed to a Remoska even though I have a full oven / hob in my van. Remoska first oven second.

pawwavingpuppy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Here in lovely South Devon
Funster No
We bought a new Itineo motorhome (new to us) last month and it does have an 'oven' in it - well, that's what they call it, though the size of it makes me think it's only going to be any good to warm a pasty up in or do 2 slices of toast (reminds me of a childs play oven, it's tiny) plus it's above the fridge/freezer, so not the most convenient of places .

I've been looking at remoska's for a while and reading up about them. We love a roast dinner, and I wasn't entirely convinced, plus the price of them was a bit high. Anyway, I bought one..............I've had a few trial runs with it at home in the kitchen (roast dinners)..............and I have to say, it's the best bit of kit I've bought.........really impressed.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
I need more trial runs with my remoska ..... I dried my pork loin joint up a bit too much on the outside! Definitely better than my daft over the fridge mini cooker tho.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We bought a new Itineo motorhome (new to us) last month and it does have an 'oven' in it - well, that's what they call it, though the size of it makes me think it's only going to be any good to warm a pasty up in or do 2 slices of toast (reminds me of a childs play oven, it's tiny) plus it's above the fridge/freezer, so not the most convenient of places.
Don't get exited about being able to do toast in your 'built-in' unit ... it tends to worry the bread stiff rather than toast it! :D

Sep 13, 2017
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido Fiat MWB
Remoska every time not much room in our MWB so suits us bought new one last year use 15year old one at home still working well have cooked everything in there, have rack which I cover with foil to cook bacon on eggs sitting underneath very tasty. Curries, scones, roast dinner etc etc

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have all three, remoska, halogen oven and a double skillet which is overkill for me,just one person so the choice for me to go is the halogen oven being the largest. The double skillet I'll use more as I intend going more wild camping but the remoska cooks everyything beautifully, when I get EHU . The halogen is the smaller one of the range at only 7litres but I prefer the veg that is cooked in that. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Had Remoskas for about 15 years now and wouldn't be without one-well only when not on EHU!
I put chicken joints/thighs over root veg cook & make gravy with juices, or, bake a fruit cake or anything you can do in an oven-Jkt potatoes, roast potatoes, toad in hole the list goes on!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back