Best way to Slovenia (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I couldn't find a specific forum for Slovenia so thought I'd post on Germany as this will be the main country passed through on our way to Slovenia.
We're taking the Newcastle ferry to Amsterdam late March next year and would like to spend 2/3 weeks getting to slovenia from there.
We don't mind motorways but would prefer not to do them if we can.
Also, I imagine the roads around Ijmuden (Dutch port) will be packed with lorries getting on to the motorways, so a quick way out of the port and on to roads to somewhere interesting in Holland would be ideal.
Thanks.
Steph

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Slovenia is in my plans for 2018 and I'm thinking of following the Rhine south and black forest to Rhine falls. Not sure of route across Switzerland but Simplon pass has been recommended on here and drop into maggorie.
Plan to avoid Swiss motorways but not sure about tunnels. Ideally I'd like to go over the top for scenery if weather in good.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Sounds good. We've been to Maggiore and loved it.
Its been suggested going through Austria and as we haven't been there its an option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did Slovenia a few years back, we didn't have as much time as you so went a direct route from Calais via Munich.

Really is a lovely country we stayed at Lake Bled then Ljubljana at a friends house, we then headed for the coast to a place called Izola before finishing our trip in Bovec.

Loved the whole trip and every destination was lovely.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The last couple of times we've been to Slovenia it's been the main destination, so we've hot-footed it there through Germany. However, I don't think you could get more scenic then the Grossglockner Pass on the way over from Austria: http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/08/grossglockner-pass-austria-in-motorhome.html
We went to Austria for the first time in the van this year and nearly continued to Slovenia, but enjoyed Austria so much we didn't get that far. So Slovenia is on the agenda again for next year.

But yes, agree with Addie, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road is pretty special and well worth the trip. We went over in June and whilst the route was clear, there was plenty of snow on the side of the road. :)

Not cheap, but worth it. Pick a sunny day! (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That does look amazing, I might have to review the route to fit that in !
Are there overnighting opportunities there ?
Don't think you are allowed to overnight within the toll section, unfortunately, although there are plenty of stopping and parking places.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
re roads around Ijmuden not had any issues
10 to 15 minutes and you are onto motorway.
Bigger holds up at Newcastle with roadworks that have been on the go for a couple of years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back