Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 2012
During our time in Tuscany this year we stopped over at Lucca in the aire closest to the historical centre. It is barriered with security cameras, although that doesn't guarantee safety. However, our overnight stay there was incident free and in the morning we drove to the local Lidl to stock up. We had only been in the shop 15 minutes and when we returned to the van somebody had damaged the hab door lock in an attempt to break in, fortunately they hadn't succeeded. Nevertheless it bothered us, as this is the first and only time we have had any such incident having toured Europe extensively. We decided to head to the hills and went to Voltera (beautiful place and great aire). Whilst recounting our event to a fellow Brit 'vanner he said "You were just unlucky", I replied "Looks like you've been unlucky as well"!, his hab door lock had also been done, but because his van central locking also locks the hab door he hadn't noticed. Where had he just come from? Lucca, and had left his van unoccupied whilst they went into Carrefour. Supermarket car parks (everywhere) are maybe places where it might be wise to keep somebody in the van!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
More often than not we always leave someone in the van at large urban area superstores. From the checkout of a French supermarket I once saw kids use the ladder to get into Dutch guys Hymer via an open skylight. The ladder made it easy to get in. They were in out and gone before we got to it. The guy had a dog as well, (which was why the skylight was opened I suppose) the door was left open, and the dog got out and they nearly ran it over when they scarpered in their car. The dog was scared and out on the main entry road,

OP
OP
Big Bird

Big Bird

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yea @Jim I don't know whether it was that incident that made me more aware but coming back through France we were at a large supermarket and I stayed in the driver's seat, it wasn't long before two of the shadiest looking dudes came out and walked past our van, they may as well have been carrying placards saying 'We break into motorhomes' it was that obvious, with a couple of minutes the police were trawling the car park. It really made us think that this is now becoming a trend across Europe :cautious: Off to Vanbitz in 2 weeks to get alarmed up!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Husband is a bloody nuisance in any supermarket so I alwaysleave him in the van. :D Sounds like this is the best thing to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back