Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As in the title really. I'm getting quotes for our vehicle. We have been with Comfort but I've just had a less than encouraging conversation with one of the quote team there so it would be helpful to know who you all insured your vehicles with. Thanks

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Comfort have just sent our renewal through, gone up £6.20 (y)
but I see they have changed their breakdown suppliers so I'll have to ask a few questions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
AIB for me, price ok but never had a claim so that's an unknown.
There are a lot of bad reviews for them online but I'm hopeful they'll come good for me if I need them to (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am just running a poll on this via the Facebook Autotrail group. So here are some of the answers so far..

COMFORT +52

CARAVAN GUARD +21

Caravan & Motorhome Club+16

SAFEGUARD +10

Saga+5

Camping and Caravan Club+4

Staveley Head+3

adrian flux+2

insurance factory+1

LV+1

Barry Grainger (BG Insurance)+1

Direct Line+1

Scenic+1

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your replies and the link to the reviews.

So far I'm leaning towards NFU as their windscreen cover looks good with no upper limit and no tracker required (discount if installed) they also have free courtesy vehicle.

I haven't heard back from Comfort yet.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Safeguard , best for our vehicle including recovery. You really need to scrutinise all clauses when getting quotes and some won't recover tall Motorhomes.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What Rapphill said.
Windscreen cover is not important to me. Is it for you?
My main concern is getting repaired or taken home in the event of breakdown.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
is it for a Concorde? if so go with the nfu, chichester branch they deal with a lot of concordes and the money does not seem to freak them out.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Ooooer,methinks someone s having someone’s “leg over”,a colloquism round ‘ere for being done up like a kipper. It’s glass,with a few bends in it.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Safeguard , best for our vehicle including recovery. You really need to scrutinise all clauses when getting quotes and some won't recover tall Motorhomes.

We dropped Safeguard long ago! Broke down in Spain stuck in same spot for 24hours and they Breakdown Service didn’t attend. We had to sort ourselves out.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
is it for a Concorde? if so go with the nfu, chichester branch they deal with a lot of concordes and the money does not seem to freak them out.
Checked with them at the time but think((without my notes) they didn't include recovery. Thought about ADAC but they had height restriction,

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mentioned on here recently that ADAC are no longer taking on foreign based clients although they will renew existing.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've been with Comfort for seven, nearly eight years. Generally very happy with service and price, though not needed to claim.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
Checked with them at the time but think((without my notes) they didn't include recovery. Thought about ADAC but they had height restriction,

No they dont. but rac through the camping and caravan club have no restrictions.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We dropped Safeguard long ago! Broke down in Spain stuck in same spot for 24hours and they Breakdown Service didn’t attend. We had to sort ourselves out.

Not my experience.

We have called on Safeguard's recovery twice.

First time in Moselle - just oil-pressure sensor fault, but why take the risk.

Second time tyre blow-out near Leipzig.

Both times called the French emergency number and was dealt with in excellent English and on both occasions the rescue vehicle arrived in less than 1 hour. There were also follow-up calls about an hour later and in the case of the replacement sensor the next day also.

Maybe Safeguard have changed their contractors or it was a Spanish contractor problem

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just to pont out that there are very few 'Insurers' i.e. actual Underwriters who take the risk and pay out on a claim. Most of the companies advertising insurance are Brokers, albeit with(limited) underwriting authority within strict guidlines.

The authority varies from broker to broker. Different Brokers might be given different Underwriting authority criteria. They can also package the insurance contracts with recovery deals, but these are not necessarily related to the 'insurance contract' with the Underwriter, for which the Broker only acts as an agent with you the insured.

The actual Underwriters, whether it be Lloyd's Syndicates or Insurance Companies(e.g Aviva), will be disclosed on the documentation, but not necessarily in the headline name, but often in the small print at the footnote where they disclose that they are 'Regulated by the FCA' (Financial Compliance Authority) and there you will find the Underwriters' name.

So when you read 'I am insured with .....' that might not be the name of the Underwriter who has to pay the claim.

Geoff

Tony Smith

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
We use Caravan guard for our swift kontiki insurance. We do shop around every couple of years but find their price including all the extras is around the same as others.

We’ve never had to claim yet (touch wood) so can’t advise you how good they are when it comes to the sharp point.

Tony

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Yes, it's for a Concorde Charisma. Rod at Southdowns gave us the number for the NFU in Chichester and they were really helpful. We're going to go with them for the reason you state and also that they have unlimited windscreen cover. The windscreen is heated and vast and so I think will be very expensive if something happens to it - I think over £5K.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
Yes, it's for a Concorde Charisma. Rod at Southdowns gave us the number for the NFU in Chichester and they were really helpful. We're going to go with them for the reason you state and also that they have unlimited windscreen cover. The windscreen is heated and vast and so I think will be very expensive if something happens to it - I think over £5K.

Sounds like a plan;) dont know if you know, their is a very good Concorde owners club on face book, great for the tec side of things and Carl from southdowns is on it(y). so support comes quite quick from other owners if you have a problem working anything out.
Mike.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Lifesure Group Ltd for me

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sounds like a plan;) dont know if you know, their is a very good Concorde owners club on face book, great for the tec side of things and Carl from southdowns is on it(y). so support comes quite quick from other owners if you have a problem working anything out.
Mike.

Thanks Mike, We'll take a look.

Re the insurance.... I called Comfort just now as I hadn't heard back from them since my call yesterday. They said their underwriters were querying why the high mileage. Well, I was a bit surprised to say the least. I had told them when asked that we'd do around 15,000 per year. I didn't think that was high as we did nearly 4,000 in September alone. I didn't want to have to be 'mile watching' by saying anything less. I can't imagine why 15,000 would be seen as a lot.

Anyway I cancelled as I felt they weren't interested in covering us and I felt a bit miffed at their attitude during yesterday's call.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
Thanks Mike, We'll take a look.

Re the insurance.... I called Comfort just now as I hadn't heard back from them since my call yesterday. They said their underwriters were querying why the high mileage. Well, I was a bit surprised to say the least. I had told them when asked that we'd do around 15,000 per year. I didn't think that was high as we did nearly 4,000 in September alone. I didn't want to have to be 'mile watching' by saying anything less. I can't imagine why 15,000 would be seen as a lot.

Anyway I cancelled as I felt they weren't interested in covering us and I felt a bit miffed at their attitude during yesterday's call.

I dont think they are, I was with caravanguard with my last van and when I rang up for quote for the concorde it was going well until we got to the value and then they just freaked out, they were looking on google maps to see were we parked it, it was then after a hour I lost the will to live:(

but def check out the facebook group it saves a bit of pain:D

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
I use Caravan Guard as I only have a PVC now I am on my own.
I admit they were a bit touchy when it came to value of the vehicle so would not be good with a Concorde.
I use Nationwide Flex Plus a/c for breakdown which covers Motorhomes up to 8m and 7.5 tonnes.
As I live in Chichester I have used NFU local branch for many years for home insurance and they are very helpful particularly when we had to make a claim.

Helen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back