Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We recently purchased a german PVC and all is good. However, I have a query regarding 12v charging. Whenever I plugged in a USB adapter or an adapter plus power lead the 15amp fuse would blow. If I attached the device (phone, USB light etc) to the power lead and adapter and then plugged the whole thing in everything was fine and charged OK. The same with unplugging so if I detached my iPhone from the power cord while still plugged in the fuse would blow but if the adapter was removed first all is ok.

I should say that the USB to cigarette adapters that I have are good quality ones with many good amazon reviews.

Its not too much of an issue as long as I remember, which I frequently don't, so carry a number of spare fuses.

Any idea why this would happen I don't remember having the same issue with our previous vans.

Thanks in advance.

Jules

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes. Same on every device and different leads and using 2 different adapters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just check the polarity on the socket. The socket is the only common thing if you've swapped leads/adaptors etc. I'm thinking maybe a protection diode is taking the fuse out?

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry for my naivety but how would I check the polarity?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
With a multimeter set on dc volts. The centre contact should be positive. If it's the wrong way round the multimeter will show - 12v

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Physically check the plug and socket. I can't imagine a fault that would cause the symptoms you describe but I have come across plugs that short circuit the sockets as they are being inserted and removed. Once in they're OK but as they are moved in or out the earth 'leaf' of the plug causes problems.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What PVC did you purchase, I do like the German ones.

Any pics?

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Physically check the plug and socket. I can't imagine a fault that would cause the symptoms you describe but I have come across plugs that short circuit the sockets as they are being inserted and removed. Once in they're OK but as they are moved in or out the earth 'leaf' of the plug causes problems.
Could be but I have 3 12v sockets in the living area and I think it happens with all three. Will check though.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
What PVC did you purchase, I do like the German ones.

Any pics?
Westfalia Amundsen. No pictures at present I'm afraid. Super van, all the details are very well thought out (like Truma diesel heating so extra storage in the rear garage).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Are you using the correct socket as my car did this to me every time I used the socket for a charger but OK with the supplied lighter. turned out the earth and power bit were very close and the wobbly socket touched both. Good quality socket cured it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't care how many good reviews the socket adaptor has, you have a bad one.
plugging in the lead appears to be causing a power surge
Plugging in the lead AND appliance together the appliance is absorbing the power surge.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Plugging in the lead AND appliance together the appliance is absorbing the power surge.
2 different adapters though pappa, it's very odd.. Maybe try a third if the first 2 are the same make?

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
These are the two different adapters although the second one seems to be a newer version of the one i have:
Amazon product ASIN B00KPUM558Amazon product ASIN B012NO14M8

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've had that happen with poor quality Hella plugs, its a German van and he is using an adaptor in an adaptor so sounds like Hella sockets.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think I go along with Papa. Adapters have a small circuit board inside to reduce and stabilise the charge voltage to about 5Volts (USB). To blow a 15 amp fuse on 12V (nom) you have to draw momentarily in excess of 180W of power (toast anyone?). That IMV can only be an issue with the control circuitry of the adapters. When you add the Device It`s circuitry is coping with the surge and will continue to until it decides that it too has had enough and fries!

EDIT:- I have a couple of adapters which have 2 distinct settings, one is general the other is label`d "A" and is for Apple devices they won`t charge on the other setting.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
IMG_3600.JPG
I've had that happen with poor quality Hella plugs, its a German van and he is using an adaptor in an adaptor so sounds like Hella sockets.
Showing my ignorance again as I'm not sure what a Hella socket is but here is a photo of our socket:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
upload_2017-10-22_20-2-46.jpeg
upload_2017-10-22_20-5-39.jpeg

Hella sockets have a "clip" on the Positive pole which holds the Positive pole of the plug not relying on the friction an "goodwill" of the outer (negative) case of the traditional "Cigar" socket.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
View attachment 193423
Showing my ignorance again as I'm not sure what a Hella socket is but here is a photo of our socket:
The Hella plugs and Sockets are a different size and slightly different shape to normal cig lighter sockets.
Hella type will not fit the other without an adaptor ring on the Hella plug.
Screenshot_2017-10-22-20-21-29.png

Last edited:

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
If its a German van then somebody has changed the power sockets to UK type in the picture ..somebody has had the sockets off you need to check the wiring behind them has not been distrubed .as for the difference between Hella DIN plug (on the Left) and normal cig lighter plug(on the right ) the picture belows shows it.your pic shows a normal one
12mm-cigar-lighter-plug-to-fit-hella-bosch-socket-din.jpg
images.jpg

I would check the wiring here also as German van would come with the Hella Din Socket and plug....oh Pappa and Pete beat me to it

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If its a German van then somebody has changed the power sockets to UK type in the picture ..somebody has had the sockets off you need to check the wiring behind them has not been distrubed .as for the difference between Hella DIN plug (on the Left) and normal cig lighter plug(on the right ) the picture belows shows it.your pic shows a normal one View attachment 193433 View attachment 193434
I would check the wiring here also as German van would come with the Hella Din Socket and plug....oh Pappa and Pete beat me to it
I may be wrong but I would have thought Westfalia vans built for the UK market would have left the factory with UK style sockets fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
View attachment 193423
That is a standard cigarette lighter socket a lot of German vans have now changed to from the Hella.
I made an incorrect assumption as it sounded like you were plugging an adaptor into an adaptor.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I think this is an increasingly common problem. If you closely examine 12v sockets normally fitted to habitation areas and compare them with those typically found in vehicle cabs, you will see the designs differ quite significantly. (Just to clarify we are not talking about Hella sockets here, just the standard 12v socket used most places outside of Germany).

On the sockets found in cars and van cabs the positive terminal is usually just in the very base of the socket, whereas on the type fitted to habitation areas the positive terminal usually extends some way up the inside of the socket, leaving a small gap between negative and postive terminals. Some 12v plugs will work fine in both but some, designed specifically for the type of socket found in cars, will short across the negative and positive terminals. I have found this to be a particular problem with USB adaptors: I looked at a variety of them and found that at least 75% would likely cause a short circuit.

In my own van I replaced the 12v socket in the habitation area for a design that matched those found in vehicle cabs. Now all my adaptors work fine without shorting. If you only ever use the socket for USB power, you could instead replace with a USB socket: the range of modular sockets includes a twin USB module.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
PO269.jpg

USB modular socket

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Whilst a dodgy wiring at the back might cause this it sounds unlikely. A normal usb charger should not blow a 15A fuse on load or not. My first Check would be another usb charger, and some other 12 v device to see if your problem is related to one appliance or to all. If everything blows the fuse then it is a wiring problem most likely.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I think this is an increasingly common problem. If you closely examine 12v sockets normally fitted to habitation areas and compare them with those typically found in vehicle cabs, you will see the designs differ quite significantly. (Just to clarify we are not talking about Hella sockets here, just the standard 12v socket used most places outside of Germany).

On the sockets found in cars and van cabs the positive terminal is usually just in the very base of the socket, whereas on the type fitted to habitation areas the positive terminal usually extends some way up the inside of the socket, leaving a small gap between negative and postive terminals. Some 12v plugs will work fine in both but some, designed specifically for the type of socket found in cars, will short across the negative and positive terminals. I have found this to be a particular problem with USB adaptors: I looked at a variety of them and found that at least 75% would likely cause a short circuit.

In my own van I replaced the 12v socket in the habitation area for a design that matched those found in vehicle cabs. Now all my adaptors work fine without shorting. If you only ever use the socket for USB power, you could instead replace with a USB socket: the range of modular sockets includes a twin USB module.

That theory could be tested by wrapping a piece of insulation tape around the bottom of the usb adaptor that would cover the bottom third of the 2 spring neg contacts and giving it a jiggle if you see what I mean

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Some interesting theories. Many thanks to all who have made suggestions. I’ll try a few out over the next few days and see how we get on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back