LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Is Windows 10 better than Windows 97 or 98 then?
images.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I thought Windows reached its pinnacle with 98SE. Been downhill ever since :(

Is Windows 10 better than Windows 97 or 98 then?
View attachment 193249
Oh yes much much better than any Windows I have ever had, and I started with 3.0.

Easy to use and very quick. No problems with any printers or other peripherals and no need to worry about drivers or going into the BIOS to to try to fix something. Had Windows 10 for over a year and have never had the dreaded blue screen of death or had to use CTR/ALT/DEL. Easy install if you are updating as well.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Windows 10 is the best yet. There's a new major upgrade available now if you search Windows Update.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Beware if you use 2 or more screens though, it often doesn’t recognise any other than 1st.

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
Can you still get the free upgrade that Microsoft was pushing a while ago?

I've got a laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10, they didn't like it so they did a rollback to Windows 7 (I think) and it hasn't worked properly since. I'm not sure how to begin trying to upgrade it again (and haven't got £120 spare either :eek:).

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
As I understand it, once your computer has upgraded to Windows 10, you can do a “clean “ install as it knows you have had it on your computer. Just wipe, download Win 10 from Microsoft and if bob is your uncle.....you are fine.

Well that’s what I did. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Beware if you use 2 or more screens though, it often doesn’t recognise any other than 1st.
Not my experience. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet and laptop. But I also use it as a desktop with its own docking station and an external monitor, as well as wireless keyboard and mouse. Have the Surface Pro directly under the monitor with both screens on and the monitor set as the primary screen. It was an easy set up in a couple of minutes and it always recognises the set up when I plug it back in after using it on the road.

I've got a laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10, they didn't like it so they did a rollback to Windows 7 (I think) and it hasn't worked properly since. I'm not sure how to begin trying to upgrade it again (and haven't got £120 spare either :eek:).
AFAIK the offer is over. But you may be able to get it free if you had it before.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Not my experience. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet and laptop. But I also use it as a desktop with its own docking station and an external monitor, as well as wireless keyboard and mouse. Have the Surface Pro directly under the monitor with both screens on and the monitor set as the primary screen. It was an easy set up in a couple of minutes and it always recognises the set up when I plug it back in after using it on the road.

AFAIK the offer is over. But you may be able to get it free if you had it before.

Yes, if you had it on the machine once, it “ remembers “ so just download from MS and reinstall, job done.

Worked for me (y)

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve been there and done it - its like putting a new brain in an old body and still didn’t work well. It’s the time to dump the old technology and move on and treat yourself to a new computer running Windows 10 (you spend lots of time on it) and you will never look back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No problems with any printers or other peripherals and no need to worry about drivers or going into the BIOS to to try to fix something.
Just an aside to this, Windows 10 'may' be able to sort out the printers/drivers for older machines but we've found it doesn't like one of our printers which is only a few years old - no W10 driver for it so it's having to manage with a 'universal' one, not ideal, so if you HAVE an older printer, scanner etc make sure you check first if there are drivers for it in W10 otherwise some of the functionality could be lost.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just an aside to this, Windows 10 'may' be able to sort out the printers/drivers for older machines but we've found it doesn't like one of our printers which is only a few years old - no W10 driver for it so it's having to manage with a 'universal' one, not ideal, so if you HAVE an older printer, scanner etc make sure you check first if there are drivers for it in W10 otherwise some of the functionality could be lost.

Lack of ongoing support and new drivers for older printers even though they are built like tanks and are far from worn out is really annoying. I still have a laptop running XP just so I can carry on using 2 old laser printers (and a scanner) at least until the toner runs out. Finding a replacement toner cartridge might be the final obstacle.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had Windows 10 for over a year and have never had the dreaded blue screen of death or had to use CTR/ALT/DEL. Easy install if you are updating as well.

My older laptop constantly has the BSOD since "upgrading" to Windows 10. The newer laptop is fine though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

My experience with an older laptop as well ..... When daughter's partner visits i think I'll get him to wipe the machine completely and start again with the recovery discs that came with the machine.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a laser printer that is 12 years old and an inkjet which is 6 years old. I had no problem with drivers for either of these. From memory I am not sure whether Windows 10 on my new machine had the drivers for these or whether I had to use the drivers from the CDs supplied by the printer manufacturer, but either way I got them to work with no real problems

If you have an existing laptop you can check before you use it whether or not all of the software programmes and peripherals will work with Windows 10. That is what I did with my wife's PC and it confirmed all were all OK. When Windows 10 was installed it used the existing printer drivers for the two printers I had.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have a laser printer that is 12 years old and an inkjet which is 6 years old. I had no problem with drivers for either of these. From memory I am not sure whether Windows 10 on my new machine had the drivers for these or whether I had to use the drivers from the CDs supplied by the printer manufacturer, but either way I got them to work with no real problems

If you have an existing laptop you can check before you use it whether or not all of the software programmes and peripherals will work with Windows 10. That is what I did with my wife's PC and it confirmed all were all OK. When Windows 10 was installed it used the existing printer drivers for the two printers I had.

Thanks, but the HP website says driver solution not available for Win 10 for the laser printer which I expect is even older than yours.

The 3-in-one laser printer scanner and copier looks more promising. There is a download Full Solution for that one.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, but the HP website says driver solution not available for Win 10 for the laser printer which I expect is even older than yours.

The 3-in-one laser printer scanner and copier looks more promising. There is a download Full Solution for that one.
Have you tried just installing the original drivers that came with it? Worth a try.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Have you tried just installing the original drivers that came with it? Worth a try.

Yes it could be worth a try. If I can still find the CD! Meanwhile it is looking like the new Win 10 laptop (for personal use) will work with the HP 3-in-one printer, while the older HP printer will carry on printing from the XP laptop, which is the one I use for work. I am stuck with that for a few more weeks until I finally stop work -YAY! :)

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
Mine seems to be working :D thank you for help and links.

I'm a couple of hours in and I'm finally on the 'installing windows 10' screen with a whole 8% complete. It might take a few days at this rate :ROFLMAO:

If anyone else installs it, mine got stuck on searching for updates for so long I ended up Googling it. Someone had suggested going into Services and turning windows update off. It worked instantly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Just spotted this on Groupon - Windows 10 Pro for £19.99:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back