LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, bit of advice please. We have a 6.36m panel van conversion, built on a 4200kg maxi chassis with full air suspension, so no axle or total weight issues. We want to carry a small scooter, for pottering around on, I’ve car licence only and don’t want to take full motorcycle test.

2 questions please,

Advice on any suitable scooters, Honda innova ? Combined weight of Helen and myself c130kg, mostly mine!!

We want to carry it on a tow bar carrier, our weight limit is 170kg on the bar, any recommendations and is this doable? Rack needs to be easy to take off, we have an Ih with opening rear boot lid.

Thanks for any views.
Bill

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A 50cc scooter will be very slow with 2 on, UK ones are restricted to 30mph too. I know you'll say it doesn't need to be fast but honestly, it will really struggle up hill. Ours struggles up hill and it's 110cc
Maybe a de-restricted foreign scooter would be better, I hired one years ago and it went OK with 2 of us on it.

Why not book a 3 day motorcycle course you have 2 days practicing and the third day is test day. Then get your arse on a 600 :sneaky:(y)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
As a life time motorcyclists 50cc 2 Up is not safe in my view. You will end up riding in the gutter and that’s really dangerous. You need to at least be able to keep up with normal traffic, ie 40/50mph. A 110 or 125 would be ok.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Even on a 50cc moped I don't think you can carry a pillion passenger unless you or the pillion passenger has passed the motorbike test. Or has the law changed on that now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
We have had two 50cc scooters and we find it is good enough for what you want to do we have used in France also. The first was a Chinese import bought off e**y and we would not recommend. The latest which we've had since May 2103 is a Kisbee RS by Peugeot.
We are roughly the same weight as yourselves.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
When we bought our first Hymer, in 2006, we bought a Peugeot Ludix Blaster 50cc scooter to go with it. We're still using it.
Pre '97 licence, which does allow pillion. Lightest scooter I could find at the time (Sub 70kg)
It is not confidence inspiring on roads with higher than 30mph / 50kmph limit, but we have only needed to go on those very seldom. This year we did the Ardèche gorge top to bottom and back again on it. OK, we did stop every couple of hundred yards, but it did the job.(y)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have had a Vespa 50S for the last 8 years. Never missed a beat and never failed an MOT. We use it to get into towns, especially in Europe and have had no issues. You are not getting anywhere fast, but from experience of our last trip overall it is a lot quicker. We have a new van which carries the car instead of towing, so now need to decide if we take car or Vespa. In Cologne a few weeks back where we would use the Vespa to go to our favourite restaurant leaving it on the street outside chained to a lamppost. We had to use the car. It took twice as long trying to find a parking space and then the extra cost. Everything has its down side, but for warm weather places give me the Vespa anyday.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Even on a 50cc moped I don't think you can carry a pillion passenger unless you or the pillion passenger has passed the motorbike test. Or has the law changed on that now.

If you passed your car test before 1st Feb 2001 you can ride a moped up to 4kW (50cc to us) with no need to do a CBT, no need to display L plates and you can carry a passenger.

Of course for your own safety and the safety of everyone else on the roads it’s advisable to at least do the CBT if you’ve never ridden anything before and as people have already posted trying to carry a passenger on a 50cc moped is a terrible idea. At best it’s impractical and at worst it’s dangerous.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing to be aware of is that not all insurance policies automatically cover you to carry a pillion any more.

With something like a 50 moped I’d imagine a lot of companies wouldn’t be keen. They’d need talking into it and I’d expect the premium to go up by more than it does for a proper bike.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe a de-restricted foreign scooter would be better, I hired one years ago and it went OK with 2 of us on it.

That wouldn’t be legal in the UK on a car license.

License restrictions aren’t based purely on engine size, they’re based on power output.

The maximum power output for an AM licence entitlement (moped) is 4kW or 5HP and the machine should be capable of no more than 45 km/h (EDIT: under power. Yes, I’m well aware that they’ll go a lot quicker than that downhill with a following wind)

The other restrictions are A1 (125cc) 11kw/15hp and A2 (500cc) 35kw/47hp

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We had a Honda Mini Melody many years ago and when it even saw a hill it started coughing!! I finished up lifting it under my arm and carrying it up most hills in the end:whistle:

150 Honda Mode these days

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is that all it takes to pass a test ........? my car test was passed in 1979 ... dam that makes me feel old !

They tend to be 5 days now because of the two part test and a lot of trainers advise against those courses because it puts an awful lot of pressure on the rider.

You have to do your theory in advance then CBT straight away on the first morning. Then it's the Part 1 test by the end of day 2 and if you fail that then game over, you can't continue. If you pass the Part 1 then you have 2 and a half days to be ready for the Part 2 test. If you're not ready then tough because it's too late to change the test date.

It might work for some people but the way the tests are now it's becoming less and less popular.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My son had a 50cc scooter and I know a lot will disagree but it was a cheap chinese one and fine a baotian pulse. Of course being a young lad one thing he did was to derestrict it (cut one wire under the seat and alter the air filter) and it went really well (but not legal). As others have said if it were me I would try the test and get a 125

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why not book a 3 day motorcycle course you have 2 days practicing and the third day is test day. Then get your arse on a 600

You're a bit out of date there Richard.

The test is in two parts now and they can't be taken at the same time because in theory you shouldn't be training for the part 2 until you've passed the part 1.

You can't even book the part 2 test until your part 1 pass is registered on the DVLA system.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another option is to consider the three wheeler

Those things are a bloody menace.

Capable of 100mph and can be driven by anyone with a car licence with no other training whatsoever.

If you're brave/stupid enough you can get them on 2 wheels and grinding in the corners.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Probably not for long in both instances !

I carry a Burgman 400 and have found it a good compromise between small and easy enough to ride in built up areas , and still fast enough even two up for a bigger radius of travel , very comfortable for both riders. Just over 200kg ulw.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
a Chinese import bought off e**y and we would not recommend.

Daughter had one and it was really dangerous - she hit a kerb first time out (yes, that was her fault) and the front wheel came off ..... bike had been assembled in our garage by the people selling the (new) bike. Faulty casting they said ...... she was unhurt, did get her money back for the bike but lost the insurance money of course.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Daughter had one and it was really dangerous - she hit a kerb first time out (yes, that was her fault) and the front wheel came off ..... bike had been assembled in our garage by the people selling the (new) bike. Faulty casting they said ...... she was unhurt, did get her money back for the bike but lost the insurance money of course.
We were a bit worried about that so bought ours from a local dealer and paid a bit more they seemed to give it a good going over before we got it and no problems while we owned it. Might just have been lucky but I think a lot of the sellers have little mechanical knowledge so if you get a chinese cheapy get from a local dealer preferably thats been there a few years. I know at the time the peugeot had a model calles ( I think a v-clic) it was basically a rebedged chinese cheapy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A couple of the Chinese makes are OK for what that are. Lexmoto is one that's OK.

Most of them though I wouldn't go anywhere near.

When the boy wanted a moped at 16 I ended up getting him an Aprilia (Piaggio) just to make sure he had something that wouldn't let him down.

It's for sale if anyone wants it... :whistle:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks like you strap it on your hang glider now!!

Mar 13, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
Hobby Ford Transit
Exp
3 years
Yamaha Vity 125 travels inside garage 2 up no problems 750 miles last holiday Hungary Have motor bike licence. all OK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back