LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
While "Wandering Star" has been laid up waiting for her up-plate we've been busy reading here and thinking about what changes we'd like to make to mould her into our way of living away (Yes, we're already being moulded by the MoHo way of life, by her, but a happy life is, after all, about compromise when required, and she has to change a little too).

The first thing we noticed was that the Sat nav and fitting had to be removed whenever we wanted to close the blinds... 1st world issue I know (in fact all here are), but if there's an alternative... The original Rear View Mirror was still affixed to the windscreen, it gave a great view of the rear island bed, but was pretty much useless other than that. I removed it and the gimbal ball that the mirror rotates on looked like it was the same diameter as the Sat nav gimbal ball, so I separated the mirror from the mount and "Hey Presto" the Sat nav now sits on the Rear View Mirror mount and the blinds close without fouling on anything...

DSC_5229.JPG

DSC_5230.JPG

Photo was taken from a high angle, it sits in the same position as the mirror so no extra vision is lost, and with it's positioning it's almost natural to check it with eye movement.

Next one was the "Case of the disappearing credit card" (Pen, Parking Ticket or anything else that will fit), luckily we read on here about this one before we had any mishaps, we ordered a length of 10mm Neoprene Cord and fitted it into the gap between the windscreen and the dash...

DSC_5227.JPG

During the short time that we were up and running, we realised that we only had USB charging from the engine battery, AND the ignition had to be switched on to provide power. We took power off the leisure setup, and positioned a switched USB "charging station" out of the way but next to the table so that it's practical, we also included an "On/Off" switch so that we can control drain when stagnant...

DSC_5217.JPG

Again after reading on this Forum about refillable LPG Gas systems, we decided that that was the way to go for us early on, after all we're planning on wilding a fair bit, so we may aswell start saving straight away, I have to say that fitting a replacement twin 11Kg bottle system, and auto change regulator from GasIt was child's play. The worst part is tank cutting a hole in your belov'ed MoHo (measure at least Four times then cut...)

DSC_5235.JPG

When driving down to Pembry the biggest "squeak", "noise", "thing" seemed to emanate from the drop down bed, Chris noticed that it was "swinging wildly" as we negotiated roundabouts or navigated unpaved roads... We made up four "Chock's" out of closed cell foam and they have proved to be brilliant...

DSC_5231.JPG

We're "outside" people, so want to make the most of the awning, we've been warned about the awning being "taken" by wind by good friends, but... we still want to be outside if we can, so we came up with a plan for "Guy Lines" for the awning, we reckon four will do the job in most circumstances linked with 10 inch re-bar pegs...

DSC_5237.JPG

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Some great ideas there, and very well executed by the look of it.

One suggestion.......

You are clearly intending to anchor the awning very well when in use, by the look of the straps and "ten inch rebar pegs".

Don't forget that in a very high wind, if design specs are exceeded, something has to give. If not the straps then the fittings to the motorhome may give, causing damage to the walls.

I would still err on the side of caution. If in doubt put it away.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@RedFrame, I like your awning straps, did you buy them or make them yourself, and if home made, how did you cobble up the white end section ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Some great ideas there, and very well executed by the look of it.

One suggestion.......

You are clearly intending to anchor the awning very well when in use, by the look of the straps and "ten inch rebar pegs".

Don't forget that in a very high wind, if design specs are exceeded, something has to give. If not the straps then the fittings to the motorhome may give, causing damage to the walls.

I would still err on the side of caution. If in doubt put it away.
I find that long before wind endangers the awning the noise of it flapping becomes unbearable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I find that long before wind endangers the awning the noise of it flapping becomes unbearable.
In 2014 we were on a site in Italy when the sky turned purple.

Anticipating a thunderstorm we wound in our awning only to be told by a German that a) there would not be a storm, and b) his awning was very strong.

Less than ten minutes later the wind hit removing his tilted Heki skylight and turning his awning upside down over his motorhome. On inspection the awning carrier had moved about three quarters of an inch outwards tearing the aluminium sides of his motorhome.

You don't always get much warning!

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
@RedFrame, I like your awning straps, did you buy them or make them yourself, and if home made, how did you cobble up the white end section ?

We put them together ourselves. We used some 6mm awning piping, 25mm Webbing and 25mm Webbing Buckles (all available on both E-Bay and Amazon I think) then Chris did some hokus pokus with the sewing machine but it would have been almost as easy to hand sew them if you don't have access to a machine.

We've got a fair bit of Piping and quite a few Buckles so if you need some PM me and I'll get a few bits sent over... (y)

Cheers
Red, Bannock and Chris

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
some really SMART ideas there, I like someone that's inventive, I like to sit and ponder and Idea until fruition appears, then work starts.

I'm a retired electrician and think polarity IS important, so installed in the side of pattress (socket box) 2 neon's, 1 red and 1 green, the red indicates incorrect polarity and the green correct polarity,
how to;
obtain 2 neons 1 x red & 1 x green
join one leg of each neon to the other neon (form the letter "M")
connect the spare red leg to the neutral post in a socket and the spare green leg to the live, and the 2 that are joined go in the earth; therefore when the polarity is incorrect, the red neon lights, when the polarity is correct the green light comes on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
some really SMART ideas there, I like someone that's inventive, I like to sit and ponder and Idea until fruition appears, then work starts.

I'm a retired electrician and think polarity IS important, so installed in the side of pattress (socket box) 2 neon's, 1 red and 1 green, the red indicates incorrect polarity and the green correct polarity,
how to;
obtain 2 neons 1 x red & 1 x green
join one leg of each neon to the other neon (form the letter "M")
connect the spare red leg to the neutral post in a socket and the spare green leg to the live, and the 2 that are joined go in the earth; therefore when the polarity is incorrect, the red neon lights, when the polarity is correct the green light comes on
Do you know,I haven’t got the slightest clue what you are talking about!!
I wish I could get to grips with understanding leckie,particularly in the Moho as folk seem to have problems with it.
How do I start to understand it? Any ideas?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Do you know,I haven’t got the slightest clue what you are talking about!!
I wish I could get to grips with understanding leckie,particularly in the Moho as folk seem to have problems with it.
How do I start to understand it? Any ideas?

OK Podney, VERY briefly, electricity comprise (basically) of 2 wires, one red (brown) and one black (blue) the red wire is live and the black wire is neutral (back at the power station - earth) and there configuration is called "polarity" 99% of UK electrical devices are switched on/off by single pole devices, ie light switches, sockets etc, that means they cut power to live side of a circuit, if the polarity is incorrect they cut power to the DEAD side of the circuit, check it out on the net, there's probably better explanations there. It's more important in a motor home where, at some point you could be touching the moho and terra firma, at that point you COULD become the earth path.
We have the door lock/security handles by the doors, so the event is very possible

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
"We're "outside" people, so want to make the most of the awning, we've been warned about the awning being "taken" by wind by good friends, but... we still want to be outside if we can, so we came up with a plan for "Guy Lines" for the awning, we reckon four will do the job in most circumstances linked with 10 inch re-bar pegs..."

Because pegs are not possible on hard-standing we strap the awning down to the rather heavy tool box. If the wind starts lifting that it is definitely time to wind in.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back